XP Document and Settings

Mike

I had someone ask me how they could have the Documents and Settings system folder on a different drive/partition on their system and how/what they would need to change to do that.Anyone have any ideas?--

X-Setup. It will make the changes you want for every folder that is in Docs $ Set. You will have to change each folder that resides in D & S individually. It does not offer a way to do the whole thing as a batch. You also will need to cut and paste all the files from the old location to the new. X-Setup will not do that part, it will just make all the necassary registry/system changes so that Windows will look in the new location on another drive/partition from that point on. So make sure you copy and paste from the old location. X-Setup will remind you to copy and paste the old stuff. Also you will need to log in to each USER account and repeat the process for each user. If I am not being clear, Mike, just let me know.

Although using that software is ok, but then the question arises of security issue.if u are not using NTFS then u can't set permissions and control who can have a peep or not.....?and what about administrative folder..........i would say move the whole nest........and not just the eggs....and in the end what ever u do, make sure u dont screw it up... :blink:

Although using that software is ok, but then the question arises of security issue.if u are not using NTFS then u can't set permissions and control who can have a peep or not.....?and what about administrative folder..........i would say move the whole nest........and not just the eggs....and in the end what ever u do, make sure u dont screw it up... :D
That is what I am talking about. Moving the whole thing. You just have to do it one step at a time.

X-Setup. It will make the changes you want for every folder that is in Docs $ Set. You will have to change each folder that resides in D & S individually. It does not offer a way to do the whole thing as a batch. You also will need to cut and paste all the files from the old location to the new. X-Setup will not do that part, it will just make all the necassary registry/system changes so that Windows will look in the new location on another drive/partition from that point on. So make sure you copy and paste from the old location. X-Setup will remind you to copy and paste the old stuff. Also you will need to log in to each USER account and repeat the process for each user.  If I am not being clear, Mike, just let me know.
So what you're saying is run X-Setup and then move that folder (D&S + subfolders) to the new drive and (YES it will be NTFS for security) then re-login as the users to ensure that it's working fine? just curious what if it's a LOT of users on the system... What happens if I add a user will it automagicall put their info in the correct spot of do I have to copyt that as well? :) Thanks...--

X-Setup. It will make the changes you want for every folder that is in Docs $ Set. You will have to change each folder that resides in D & S individually. It does not offer a way to do the whole thing as a batch. You also will need to cut and paste all the files from the old location to the new. X-Setup will not do that part, it will just make all the necassary registry/system changes so that Windows will look in the new location on another drive/partition from that point on. So make sure you copy and paste from the old location. X-Setup will remind you to copy and paste the old stuff. Also you will need to log in to each USER account and repeat the process for each user. If I am not being clear, Mike, just let me know.
So what you're saying is run X-Setup and then move that folder (D&S + subfolders) to the new drive and (YES it will be NTFS for security) then re-login as the users to ensure that it's working fine? just curious what if it's a LOT of users on the system... What happens if I add a user will it automagicall put their info in the correct spot of do I have to copyt that as well? :D Thanks...--
In X-Setup, the folders that are in D&S are listed. But not the D&S folder itself. But all sub folders are listed. They are not listed together in X-Setup though, which can be aggrevating. You have to find each one. Each USER on the machine would need to log in under their USER name. And run X-Setup to make the changes. So, if there were 4 USERS you would have to log in to each one and repeat the steps for every user. You would have to run X-setup 4 times. Once in each USERs account. If you added a new USER, you would need to log in to that new USERs account and run X-setup for that new user as well.But once you make the changes with X-Setup in each USERs account, any thing they add/delete/modify will be made to the new location from then on. You will not have to worry about anything being written to the old location.

Guest ThunderRiver

Eh there is a simpler way to do it without messing around with X-Setup.Open up Windows Explorer (Window Key + E), and then, do you see that "My Documents" right below "Desktop" in the left hand panel? Well, right click on "My Documents" and select Properties.Well, now you see the "Target" tab? :D Choose a directory you like!ThunderRiver

Eh there is a simpler way to do it without messing around with X-Setup.Open up Windows Explorer (Window Key + E), and then, do you see that "My Documents" right below "Desktop" in the left hand panel? Well, right click on "My Documents" and select Properties.Well, now you see the "Target" tab? :rolleyes: Choose a directory you like!ThunderRiver
That works for "My Documents", but not the "Documents and Settings" folder.