• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:13 PM

A question or two for the Sid/Siduction gurus out there.
I have been running Debian Sid without problems for a few months now on my Thinkpad. I have it set up the way I like and although there are lots of daily updates it works very well.
Now I want to take the Thinkpad on a two week ocean voyage where the Internet is slow and often unreliable. The last thing I want to do is bork an update.
So if I update at the hotel before I leave and when I get home will that be OK assuming the machine works fine when I embark on the ship? I figure I can deal with any issues at home if there are massive updates at that point.
Bottom line will I be OK to travel with Sid or should I bite the bullet and install a more stable distro before leaving on my voyage? I figure all will be well if I don't update a working install.
Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#2 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,251 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:20 PM

You will be fine. Same with Arch, as long as you update within a month, you should be fine.

Even if you didn't, you would still be fine as long as you didn't do a partial update.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,395 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:59 PM

I often don't upgrade siduction for weeks. A backup is made with Clonezilla if there are a lot of upgrades flagged. Be wary if apt says there are lots of packages to remove and check siduction forums Upgrade Warnings section.
Usually it's fine. ;)
registered Linux user number 324659  || The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageKXStudio
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users