Nouveau Developers Remain Blocked By NVIDIA From Advancing Open-Source

securitybreach

Nvidia still gives the best 3D performance with its own driver but I hate the way they operate with the Linux Community. If you don't have to game on Linux Intel is the best option. AMD now doesn't give you any choice but FOSS and when their drivers work they are great. However I have found AMD to be maddeningly inconsistent in support. What to do?

• Like 1

securitybreach

Nvidia still gives the best 3D performance with its own driver but I hate the way they operate with the Linux Community. If you don't have to game on Linux Intel is the best option. AMD now doesn't give you any choice but FOSS and when their drivers work they are great. However I have found AMD to be maddeningly inconsistent in support. What to do?

I agree but what do you mean by "AMD now doesn't give you any choice but FOSS"? There is the closed Catalyst driver and the open Radeon drivers to choose from on AMD.

Catalyst (fglrx) is deprecated for my video card in Linux Mint 18. All you can use is the FOSS driver. It works fine with my R7 360 graphics card. If you go into the Driver Manager you have no option for the proprietary driver.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ubuntu-16.04-Dropping-fglrx

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 1

There are a lot of posts on Debian User Forums of people having trouble with GTX9xx or GTX10xx cards, especially if they have Optimus dual graphics.

Nouveau works fine on my system with GTX560Ti on HD monitor, but only Nvidia driver works properly on my main system with GTX970 and 4K monitor. That article makes me sad as it implies Nouveau will never work on my main system. :(

• Like 1

securitybreach

Catalyst (fglrx) is deprecated for my video card in Linux Mint 18. All you can use is the FOSS driver. It works fine with my R7 360 graphics card. If you go into the Driver Manager you have no option for the proprietary driver.

https://www.phoronix...-Dropping-fglrx

Ah ok, I didn't realize that about older cards..

AMD FOSS drivers work pretty well and I do think AMD does a better job of committing to Linux. However as you may remember I had a bad time with my R7 360 card with older kernels such as those used in LM 17. My card was basically a rebrand of the older R7 260 so I thought it should work but for some reason it was too new to be on the supported list (didn't even show up properly in the list of PCI hardware.)

By the time we got to LM 18 or kernel 4.4 the problem was fixed and the FOSS driver (radeon) runs very well. No complaints at all.

An AMD card is like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates.