Playing DVDs

pc-tecky

I am sure it is downloadable if not in RH, but my favorite to play movies is Totem. If that is there give it a try. I must admit I don't watch DVDs on my computer, but it is an option in Totem.

Hi TeckyDoes RH 9 not have Xine installed by default ? . . If not it should be on the CD´s as well as Mplayer . . . Cafeine is another player that looks a lot like the Totem Julia is talking about . . . you there you have the choice ;) . . I would try Xine first though.B) Bruno

We are talking about RedHat here - totally geared towards business. :w00t: :devil: :thumbsup: I didn't see anything in the menu for Totem, Xine, or Mplayer. They did after all leave MP3 functionality out for legal concerns, what would make you think they'd include DVD movie watching functionality? Wouldn't that make people couter productive while working? :w00t: I should stop thinking - it's getting danagerous.Wow, no K3b either. yikes! The whereis utility didn't find any of the above tools. I thought I did a full install with everything. :huh: Looking throught the CDs anyways....:'( It's not looking good. The first three CDs didn't have anything related to the above programs. Do you think the SRPMS CDs will be much different?(a little while after Bruno's post below)Well, indeed, it is a sad state of affairs, no RPMs or SRPMs for any of the above players. And to think I just saw totem.rpm just the other day. :huh: That must have been while I was downloading Mandrake updates - just for fun. All indicators are beginning to strongly point to Mandrake. :devil: Let's see, here, yep, a new 100 pack spindle of blank CD-Rs plus a few from the last spindle. I think I have a new experiment on my hands rather than finding and compiling Xine, Mplayer, or Totem. It's called dump RedHat for Mandrake. :ermm: I sure am going to miss the old RedHat fella. :'(

Hi TeckyI´ll be honest with you: I did not believe you ! . . So I booted my system in RedHat 9 . . . wanted to tell you how easy it is to add those packages . . . . . ;)Tecky . . you´re 100% right my friend ! Under the section "Sound and Video" there is NO program for Video !Tecky . . you´re 100% correct . . even in the package management that lists all that is available on the CD´s I had al;ready marked all the items and there was NONE left with video ( they even have the cheek to call that section "Sound and Video" too . . . . and there is no app for Video at all !! )I´m stunned . . . I think . . no, I´m sure now that this is a waste of my disk-space and will replace that silly hat with something more cheerfull and decorative . . . . . Hope you agree with my conclusion and that you forgive me doubting your words ( :thumbsup: ) at first . . . . :devil: Bruno

No problem for that minor state of confusion. I agree whole heartly with the conclusion of RedHat - it never was meant to be a "home-use gamers" platform - strictly business. Now I just have to remember the settings for the sound - manual entry with the <sndconfig --noprobe> option as CS46xx is not "supported" but it is backward compatable with the supported CS4232. It's so comfusing at times. :devil: :thumbsup:

Don't know whether or not this will help, but here's a bunch of "xine" and related "rpm's":XINE rpm'sSee if any will work with RH9, by using one of the install commands. :thumbsup: <rpm -ivh xine_package_whatever.rpm>Good fortune...I never had luck doing this in RH9, but I did with "JamD" - RH9 clone.

Hi QuintThat is not a bad idea, but he will have to install the xine-lib-0.9.9-0.i686.. first . . . before the xine-ui-0.9.9-1.i686 and the plugins . . . otherwise he will have dependency problems.:thumbsup: Bruno

Quint,Dumb question here, which one or all of them???
Thanks, Bruno...was going to suggest that, and also, I think - if I remember correctly, that he won't be able to install any, if there are conflicts...unless he "forces the install". :'( Pc-tecky, follow always what Bruno has suggested, I can only add that I stayed with the same version number, for the respective files. :devil: Seem to recall that "rpm" will let you know what files you need to resolve any incompatibilities. :thumbsup:Edit: there are no "dumb questions"... :w00t:

"Dumb Questions" Oh, I know... that was.. well.. uhm, all done in.. uhm, well, you know..A picture is worth a thousand words right?So here you go: " :'( :'( :devil:" :w00t: :DThe only dumb question is the one never asked. :thumbsup:

Oh, I hope this Mavica CD-RW mini-disc will be read by Linux alright - using CD-R mode. I used Win2k to get the files. Yeah, Linux read it just fine. :thumbsup: :w00t: The next step, install. Now why didn't that last bootable ISO work?? Wrong drive? :devil:

Yep Tecky there is a GUI way just double-click on the package . . a dialog will pop up to ask you for your root-password . . . BUT: you won´t have any control over it, nor see if the install was satisfacory$ su< password ># rpm -ihv name_package.rpmIs a for more powerfull way and you will see if the install was successful. If in this case you get error messages, post them and we will see what we can do to get around them.:thumbsup: Bruno

This could mean that the version you´re trying to install is not compatible with the Glibc ( the C libraries ) you have on your RedHat . . . . And I would not start changing the most important libraries you have on that system.We could however try to force the install of the first package ( I assume the xine-lib-0.9.9 ) this can´t hurt the rest of the OS but it makes it unsure if Xine will work in the end . . . . .# rpm -ihv xine-lib-0.9.9.rpm --nodeps ( WATCH IT: two -- and then nodeps ):thumbsup: Bruno

Techy . . you should not click the files . . . in this case only the commandline will help . . . So open a terminal and do it this way ( as root ):# rpm -ihv xine-lib-0.9.9.rpm --nodeps0r sometimes:# rpm -ihv --nodeps xine-lib-0.9.9.rpm :thumbsup: Bruno

Sorry I wasn't clear the first time around. :thumbsup: <rmp -ihv xine-whatever.rpm>"Segmentation Fault"Clicked the file in KDE, file hung, windows wouldn't close - rebooted.<rmp -ihv xine-whatever.rpm --nodeps>"preparing.... 100%1. xine lib.... 100%"Process stops and doesn't end.

Re-downloaded files using RedHat 9 instead of win2k. Most of the files installed fine this time around in KDE. Two observations:No MRL (input stream) specified. :huh: Totally lost with what to do next.Oh, I dearly hope I installed everything right this time and didn't miss any files. :ermm:Just clicked on file and it ran pretty smoothly in KDE. Baffled at what went wrong with the win2k download to CD-RW or what still is wrong.I'm not seeing /dev/dvd nor /dev/rdvd (for raw DVD). I'm pretty sure the dvd drive still goes to /dev/hdc as a cdrom drive instead of a dvd drive. :thumbsup:<ls r*> or <ls rd*> in /dev scrolls through everything starting with c? Very strange!However <ls d*> lists nothing. :'( I didn't install with the DVD drive either.

Hi TechyGlad you had more luck this time . . . :DSure it makes no difference whith what OS you download the files, but burning them to CD can make all the difference.As for the link to your dvd: try:# ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/dvd

<ls r*> or <ls rd*> in /dev scrolls through everything starting with c?
I think the list is too long so it starts in the middle . . . try to "pipe it through less": < ls r* | less > or < ls d* | less ):thumbsup: Bruno

Hmm... I thought the files wouldn't be dissorted in burning once downloaded. ISO format for CDs is universal right? So the file shouldn't be effected. Uph, I'm so baffle and confused. :'( So all of those RedHat RPMs will not be good to burn, but should be good to set up a FTP??? :ph34r: That makes no sense to me. A file is a file and it should make no difference.<ls r*> should list everything starting with "r", yet it lists things starting with "c"... Nada, I don't think so. Something is wrong with that. Is it a bug?? Eww, I see. Everything with "r" is at the top then a huge section that lists "rd:" once followed with a huge list of things starting with "c".... What does that mean? :D Well, Bruno, this time you're right. :thumbsup: Rats!<ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/dvd> Done. Still no video and still no /dev/rdvd (for raw access??). Err! The DVD selection button doesn't stick or stay lighted. Do I have to mount the DVD movie disc or is it like an audio CD? Yikes! and the "No MRL (input stream) specified" still persists.

Hi TeckyDon´t ask me the real details, but as you burn something to CD in Linux, it first gets transformed into a ( temp ) ISO-image and then it´s burned to CD where it unfolds itself aigain in file(s). ( In X-CDroast, the GUI for cdrecord, you see this process the most clear )When you burn an ISO in Windows you don´t follow the normal burn routine, but: -> burn -> image . . . but your RPM´s are no ISO´s . . . So my wild guess is that the thruth is somewhere along these lines . . . however I can remember burning RPM´s to CD in Windows successfully too a few years ago . . . . . :thumbsup: ( Just to add to the confusion ):D Bruno

<ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/dvd> Done. Still no video and still no /dev/rdvd (for raw access??). Err! The DVD selection button doesn't stick or stay lighted. Do I have to mount the DVD movie disc or is it like an audio CD? Yikes! and the "No MRL (input stream) specified" still persists.
Hey . . you added a part while I was typing ! :thumbsup: :ph34r: The /dev/rdvd . . . I looked on mine and it´s a link to:
[bruno:~]$ ls -al  /dev/rdvdlr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root            8 Dec 15 18:47 /dev/rdvd -> raw/raw1

Adn this is the info for raw:

[bruno:~]$ ls -al /dev/raw/raw1crw-------    1 bruno    cdrom    162,   1 Jan  1  1970 /dev/raw/raw1

You have a DVD button on Xine ? Usualy if you press it it mounts the DVD and makes the index visible.:D Bruno

Sorry Bruno. :D I tend to have urges to improve a thought may be.... uhm, incomplete :thumbsup: err, no no no, that is in much need to be improved... :PPressing the DVD button doesn't appear to do anything at the moment. Makes me think I missed a file somewhere.

Yikes! ok, /dev/dvd --> /dev/hdc... err, but how does that raw stuff work?hard drive --> hdacdrom/dvd --> hdddvd --> hdc:wacko:Ok, what's wrong this picture other than I have either the CD drive or the DVD drive in one at a time (but not both as it's a notebook- ThnkPad 600e)??? I thought that hdc was the master drive on the second channel - but it appears to have jumped to the slave channel?? :thumbsup: I think I need to restart the day.

TeckyIf you have:

[bruno:~]$ ls -al /dev/dvdlr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           30 Dec 15 18:47 /dev/dvd ->/dev/hdc

Then that link is made with the command from a few posts back.Now, I have no clue about raw, but it looks like you need a link to /dev/raw/raw1:

# ln -s /dev/raw/rwaw1 /dev/rdvd

Then if you do:

ls -al  /dev/rdvd

you should see:

lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root            8 Dec 15 18:47 /dev/rdvd -> raw/raw1

Does that make sense ?:thumbsup: Bruno