Best advisor

Who gives the best advice on computers and internet matters? Would it be Scot Finney or Kim Komando or maybe a forum such as emaildiscussions.com? I believe that a poll in this matter would be interesting, but I don't know how to start one.

Who gives the best advice on computers and internet matters? Would it be Scot Finney or Kim Komando or maybe a forum such as emaildiscussions.com? I believe that a poll in this matter would be interesting, but I don't know how to start one.
iajoe,Click on "New Poll" in the lower right corner of your post. Sounds like an interesting topic - I'll choose (in no specific order):Scot F., Fred L., Steve G.

This thread will probably be as effective as a poll would be, iajoe.I'm not sure what "best" means in this context. I too like Scot, Fred, Steve, et.al. But each has their own strengths and concerns. They don't overlap as much as compliment each other. Oh, and let's not forget that Chris kid. I read them all, learn something from each of them, then come back here and perform just the opposite function. B)

greengeek
B) Scot and Lockergnome are my favourites but if I can't find what I need there then it's off to Experts' Exchange, Computer Mechanics, the Eldergeek and too many others to mention. A Google search is also a great way to find things.Joy

Guest LilBambi

Like anything else, including software, hardware, OSes, Internet and networking related issues, etc. ... when it comes right down to it, I go with whatever works quickly for the specific situation.I do have some usual haunts that I check;Google (first stop)Scot's Newsletter (of course) I think you all know where this is ;)Fred Langa's LangaListWoodysWatch.comLockerGnome.comKim Komando's Komando.comSteve Gibson - GRC.comTheElderGeek.comPracticallyNetworked.comWimsBIOS.comTechTV.comBlkViper.comDougKnox.comExtremeTech.comLabMice.netArsTechnica.comMotherboards.orgDriverGuide.com* And a host of other Windows and Linux/Unix sites *LOL! ;)Edit: Links now clickable as requested by teacher ;)Also corrected, LabMice.com to LabMice.net as it should have been.

Edited by LilBambi

Like anything else, including software, hardware, OSes, Internet and networking related issues, etc.  ... when it comes right down to it, I go with whatever works quickly for the specific situation.I do have some usual haunts that I check;Google (first stop)Scot's Newsletter (of course)Fred Langa's LangaList.c.omWoodysWatch.comLockerGnome.comKim Komando's Komando.comSteve Gibson - GRC.comTheElderGeek.comPracticallyNetworked.comWimsBIOS.comTechTV.comBlkViper.comDougKnox.comExtremeTech.comLabMice.comArsTechnica.comMotherboards.orgDriverGuide.com* And a host of other Windows and Linux/Unix sites *LOL!  ;)
My gosh, Fran, you've got every base covered - the Yankees need you. ;) Excellent, excellent info. ;)

Like anything else, including software, hardware, OSes, Internet and networking related issues, etc.  ... when it comes right down to it, I go with whatever works quickly for the specific situation.I do have some usual haunts that I check;
Great list. Can we turn on links in it so we can find the ones we don't know about?

jbredmound

Right here! I have used LockerGnome, but it has tried my patience (I love the newsletters). Actually, this has been the only place in my experience where you can post a problem and know, when you check back, that some useful help will be waiting. I hope we never lose that!

Jeez, I'm so bummed that no one (including moi) mentioned this topic as helpful and useful. It's the topic title, isn't it? I knew that would blow my credibility. B)

Jeez, I'm so bummed that no one (including moi) mentioned this topic as helpful and useful.  It's the topic title, isn't it?  I knew that would blow my credibility. B)
Jeeber, We don't have to say the obvious do we? B) Of course we love your advice.

Guest genaldar

To be honest I don't come across much on my system that boggles me. I know it well enough to figure out the problem most of the time. When I do though I usually just google it and see what comes up. If I can't find anything useful I'll try here, osnews.com, langa.com and windows annoyances (in fact windows annoyances helped me with my last problem).If the problem is with a friends computer I've either come across it before or I go to my google method. btw the best way I've found to use google is to use the toolbar and go to a site like annoyances and search just the site. You can do that without the toolbar, but I always forget how to have google search a specific site.btw I've tried lockergnome, but prillo grates on me. I bet its because he's from Iowa and he seems to play that up too much (yes we get it, those of us in the midwest can still be tech savy, just drop it). Much the same way those talk show hosts with problems and use them for sympathy bug me (montel and jenny jones).

Click on "New Poll" in the lower right corner of your post. Sounds like an interesting topic - I'll choose (in no specific order):Scot F., Fred L., Steve G.
I'll express a certain reservation about Fred L, whose newsletter I subscribe to. I find a lot of good ideas there, but he's been taking subscribers' suggestions lately about alternatives to RP and WMP too uncritically. I'm no fan of RP, but have to say that while WMP doesn't have the best sound, it offers better video options -- full screen with controls, slow motion/frame by frame -- than anything free he's suggested (jet audio and ultraplayer). I wrote Fred about this, but it seems to fall on deaf ears.