Web Design Net-Based Resources

teacher

I have seen several posts recently referring to great resources for those learning web design. I invite you to drop your favorites here so there is a common thread. I am always on the look-out for good resources to use in the classroom. :teehee:

One of the best ways (IMO) of learning HTML basics is having someone installa CMS (content management system) on your host, and that way you have a fully functional site. Then you can play with HTML goodies within announcments, user created pages and such, and still have your site operational.

Good post. Here are some of mine:Eric Meyer's CSS stuffJeffrey Zeldman's Blog always points to more creative and interesting linksCSS Zen Garden for those who want to experience the wonders of CSS in all its beauty and creative potentialA List Apart has great how-tos and commentaries by some of the leading web designers in North AmericaDive Into Mark for web accessibilityTantek C.'s Box Model HackNew York Public Library Style GuideThe Web Standards ProjectNetscape's DevEdgeThe Layout Reservoir provides CSS layouts for stealingCSS Panic Guide for those who are overwhelmed by CSS

My best adice for people new to web design, is to learn the actually HTML. It's really not that hard. Once you know it, you'll be so glad you do!For a great HTML editor, HTML-Kit.My favorite site to learn HTML is LissaExplains.com, but there are TONS of sites out there.Once you've got HTML down, go for CSS!!!

Will have to go hunt up some more! LOL!
I've probably got over a hundred in windows. Next time i boot into windows i'll have to go though them and see if there are any good enough to post B)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
IMO, the best text editor around, supports publishing to FTP, syntax highlighting, and more:Crimson Editor - http://www.crimsoneditor.com/
I've also used Crimson Editor and would recommend it B) I like it because it is simple and doesn't really have the tools found in other editors like HTML-Kit etc.Editors like HTML-Kit are great for webdesign, I like Crimson editor for other languages like Perl etc.

• 1 month later...

There are a lot of free programmer's tools located here. It has editors, utilities, compilers, source code/libraries, and documentation. It even has webmaster resources, too. All are free. :)

There are a lot of free programmer's tools located here. It has editors, utilities, compilers, source code/libraries, and documentation. It even has webmaster resources, too. All are free.
wow! tons of links there. Thanks B)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
cantthinkofanickname

Nowadays a website is usually interactive to some extent and requires a database. So if you're not a PHP programmer install a CMS. I use Joomla! but I think for choice Drupal may be a close 2nd. MHOFWIW.If you make websites do consider accessibility. Google "accessible websites" to research this subject.

Edited by cantthinkofanickname

Can'tIt's been just a bit of a time since this thread was last visited. We are now using Moodle to set up our academic web sites. We will be offering much of our course offerings next year based upon Moodle. Moodle is open source to boot. We sure prefer it to Drupal around my area.