Can't Read .EML Files

Purhonen

I merged the two topics (and deleted the duplicate original post) here --Neil (steeler_fan)For whatever reason I'm unable to open/view .EML files when they are sent as attachments. I use MSN's Hotmail as my web-based email and Outlook Express 6 as my desktop email client. I normally review my email at MSN first (let it do the junk mail filtering) and when done I open OE to get what I want onto my hard drive. It's when I get the mail into OE that the problem presents itself. If any of the emails that I download to OE have an attachment that is an .EML file, then when I try to open it I get a message window telling me that my system (Win XP Pro SP2) does not recognize this type of file. It gives me two options: browse for a program of my choice to try and open it, or, search the web. The same thing happens if I save the attachment to my desktop and then try opening it. This doesn't make any sense to me because, geez, this is exactly the file type that my email program uses! True? One other bit of info: sometimes while viewing my email at MSN, if the email has an .EML attachment I'm able to see it within the text of the email itself, and then, sometimes not. This is similar to the case where attached images are presented within the body of the message as well. But I'm NEVER able to open or view .EML attachments from OE. Can't figure this one out. Grateful for any help. Regards, Steve

Edited by steeler_fan

V.T. Eric Layton

Been a while since I used Windows, Steve, but if I remember correctly, you need to assign Outlook Express as the .eml handler. The next time that notice pops up, choose OE as the default handler for that type file. That might work. I seem to remember having to do this years ago. I could be wrong, though. You know what they say, "use it or lose it". I'm rapidly forgetting all things Windows.Try this: * Click Start | Settings | Folder Options | File Types * Scroll to Outlook Express Mail message and double click it. * Double click 'open'. * In "Application used to perform this action" enter the following: "C:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\MSIMN.EXE" /eml:%1 * Click OK to close the window

FYI, purhonen, please don't post the same topic in two different sections of the forum. It won't give you any more coverage and it just clogs things up.

FYI, purhonen, please don't post the same topic in two different sections of the forum. It won't give you any more coverage and it just clogs things up. I apologize, it was not intentional. The first time I tried posting it the post did not appear to me to go through so I refreshed the page. My fault for being a bit inpatient. Regards, Steve

Steve, did you get the .eml working on your system?
I'm not sure if I did or not. That may sound awkward, so let me explain. I sent myself an email (from another account) with an EML file as an attachment. When I viewed the email I sent myself in OE I clicked on the attachment which gave me two options: open it or save it. When I selected to open it I get a window titled "Mail Attachment" which asks "Do you want to open this file?" (it lists the file's name and type) with options to either "Open" or "Cancel." If I click "Open" I get a another window (with the ominous red "X") stating "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel." And that ends it -- I'm unable to open the EML attachment. However, if I right-click on the attached file after having saved it to my desktop I do get the option to open it with Outlook Express (OE); when I select that option my OE program opens up BUT to the ATTACHED EML file that I'm trying to read, but rather it opens the email which was the one which CONTAINED the attachment. This seems very "Catch-22-ish" Regards, Steve

Guest LilBambi

Sounds like MSN may be doing something to mangle the .eml so the computer doesn't know what to do with it??Might want to try the same thing with another web-based email account, such as Yahoo! or Gmail and see if the same thing happens in OE.In any case, save the .eml to the desktop. When asked how to open it, instead of choosing Outlook Express, open choose a program, choose Outlook Express and then click the always do this action, then click apply/OK.See if that helps.(It sounds like you now have the option to open as Outlook Express but it's still not your default action.)