Google Docs Edit Menu

DarkSerge

I haven't used Google Docs in a while, and today I decided to save a document that I would need on different computers. There's something about Google Docs I don't quite understand, maybe somebody here knows the answer to this.

Whenever I try to use Cut, Copy, or Paste from the Edit menu, I just get the message "These actions are unavailable via the Edit menu, but you can still use:" with the keyboard shortcuts for those actions listed below.

Why is that? Why have the Edit menu with Cut, Copy, and Paste if all it does is bring up a message telling you they are unavailable. And why not have the simple menu use of such very common commands in document editing?

I find it very odd. Anybody else experience that or know the answer to that?

Using Chrome, when I went to a Google Doc and tried to copy, I got the following pop-up:

Copying and pasting requires the free Google Docs web app. This lets us access your clipboard so you can cut, copy and paste.
Maybe that is the issue, that for whatever reason they can't access the clipboard with a menu command but can with a keyboard shortcut?

I find that strange. I had used Google Docs with two different systems and browsers when I got that message. WinXP with Firefox and Xubuntu with Chromium.