Here We Go Again

raymac46

Note Microsoft already released an update for this so as usual, make sure systems are fully updated. I am not sure, however, if XP is covered this time.

• Like 1

Note Microsoft already released an update for this so as usual, make sure systems are fully updated. I am not sure, however, if XP is covered this time.

So this is a fixed for Windows 7 as long as I have got the latest updates,,,,,,,,,or do I still have to fart around with fixing it ? :228823:

I downloaded a batch file mentioned at Bleeping computer just to be sure I was protected. (works on 7 and XP)

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/vaccine-not-killswitch-found-for-petya-notpetya-ransomware-outbreak/

Apparently the intent was not ransom but to wipe as many hard drives as possible.

https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/06/petya-outbreak-was-a-chaos-sowing-wiper-not-profit-seeking-ransomware/

Images, images and images save a computer from such a disaster.

Unfortunately the majority of users will only learn how to do this AFTER they have lost irreplaceable files.

• Like 1

I downloaded a batch file mentioned at Bleeping computer just to be sure I was protected. (works on 7 and XP)

https://www.bleeping...mware-outbreak/

Apparently the intent was not ransom but to wipe as many hard drives as possible.

https://arstechnica....ing-ransomware/

Images, images and images save a computer from such a disaster.

Unfortunately the majority of users will only learn how to do this AFTER they have lost irreplaceable files.

Thanks I think according to my reading that I am covered a s I am fully up to date and am running Eset. I think I will have a go at disabling SMB1 aswell though. :breakfast:

So this is a fixed for Windows 7 as long as I have got the latest updates,,,,,,,,,or do I still have to fart around with fixing it ?
No, you don't have to do anything else.

As far as disabling SMB1, it is something you can do as an added precaution. I did.

• Like 2

Hello,

The Win32/Diskcoder.C trojan (also known as Petya.C and NotPetya) trojan checks for the presence of three specific files on a computer and stops if they are found. You can immunize a computer by creating these files on it, which will block the trojan. IIf you're not comfortable with running a PowerShell script or batch file, create them, step-by-step:"

1. Open an elevated Command Prompt (filename: CMD.EXE) and type
    CD %WINDIR%
    and press Enter. The prompt will change to the current Windows directory, which is typically located at C:\WINDOWS\ on most computers.
  2. At the Command Prompt, type each of the following three commands, pressing Enter at the end of each line:
    ECHO Do not remove this ransomware immunization file. > PERFC
    ECHO Do not remove this ransomware immunization file. > PERFC.DAT
    ECHO Do not remove this ransomware immunization file. > PERFC.DLL
    This creates the files PERFC, PERFC.DAT and PERFC.DLL in the Windows directory (typically C:\WINDOWS\ on most computers).
  3. Now, type the following command, pressing Enter at the end of the line:
    ATTRIB +R PERFC.
    ATTRIB +R PERFC.DAT
    ATTRIB +R PERFC.DLL
    This sets a "read-only" attribute each of the three files to prevent them from being deleted.
  4. Close the Command Prompt by typing
    EXIT
    and press Enter.

NOTE: The above instructions will immunize a system against the current version of this malware. It is possible this check may be removed in the future.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 4