35 years with Samsung

raymac46

I just got my shiny new Samsung Tablet A. What an upgrade from the old Nexus 7.

It dawned on me that in one way or other I've had Samsung "stuff" around for close to 35 years - probably as long as they have been in Canada. Mind you I got more of it in the last 10 than in the first 25. They got better, and maybe I got a bit richer. Anyway here's a capsule history:

• CD player - 1984. This was my first entry into digital music. The Japanese equipment was very expensive so I took a chance on this unknown Korean maker. The laser failed soon after I bought it though - Samsung fixed it under warranty. It still works but it's mothballed in the basement somewhere.
  • 19 inch HDTV - 2007. I had to replace an old JVC CRT that fit in an entertainment center and the Samsung was the right size. It still works great even though it's 720p.
  • 37 inch TV - 2009. My main TV and it's been super. I hope it keeps on forever because it's the perfect size for the corner of my family room. It's a dumb TV but has lots of inputs for Roku, DVD , cable etc.
  • Blu-ray DVD player - 2010. It's a Samsung. It works. Nuff said.
  • Wait for it - refrigerator - 2014. My Maytag died and I needed something fast. This Samsung has double doors, lots of room, freezer on the bottom and of course it fits in the space in the kitchen.
  • 8-inch tablet -2018. As I said very nice.

Samsung has gone from an el cheapo option in CD players to a premium Android brand and home appliance maker. Who woulda thunk it?

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 1

securitybreach

Well their android devices are loaded with bloatware and their TouchWiz gui bogs down system resources which slows down their devices. My cousin's girlfriend is their regional director and even she admits that the devices are slow but says its all about the "Samsung Experience".

For instance..I had the Note 8 and even with 6gb of ram and samsung defaults changed to google ones, the device would struggle sometimes due to all the samsung services running in the background.

I notice no slowdown on my Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (owned since Nov. 2016) nor my Samsung J3 Emerge (Virgin Mobile) owned since March 2017. Of course I don't stream music while having a dozen browser tabs open.

I had one thing annoy me - the page where Samsung tries to push stories at you. I got rid of that page and the push for the stories.

Ray, if you have questions on disabling something, I probably have it in my notes.

Edited by zlim