ATX power supply issue

burninbush

Hi folks -- got a little problem here.

One of my desktop's power supply has been annoying me with the amount of noise it makes - fans - and so when newegg put a deal in front of me for a new quiet supply I took it.

However, got it and installed it, but the mobo won't power up with it. After a couple hours of parts swapping I finally got around to examining the main 24-pin connector, to discover that the new supply had only 23 wires connected. The missing pin is normally a -5v supply. After trying several old PS I had available it seems certain that the missing -5v is why the mobo won't come up; those with that pin all would make the mobo POST, without it, no POST. Manual says absolutely nothing about needing it, I s'pose they just assumed that a standard would always be a standard.

So -- is there some designation rev or other way to ID which sort of supply would include that voltage?

What is -5v used for these days? Obviously not all mobos need it. My funky mobo is an ASRock with an AME-3 socket. And FWIW, my other desktop is also an ASRock mobo, and it doesn't need -5v.

The 24-pin connector will have only 23 pins connected. The 20th (preceded by 3 ground, followed by 3 +5V pins) pin is a NC.

Try another power cable. Or test the PSU by shorting the pin 16 (green--PS ON) and one of the ground pins (the 3 that follows it).

Edited by b2cm
  • Like 1

OK, I have done more research, and have found that there are 'Version 1.0' and 'Version 2.0' ATX power supplies. The 2.0 have a 24-pin connector but the last 4 pins are on a separable section, can be split so the 24-pin supply will plug into a 20-pin mobo socket. (the extra 4 pins on Version 2.0 duplicate voltages on other pins in the connector)

So I apparently have a version 1.0 mobo which needs the -5v, but sellers like newegg are not distinguishing between the two types.

Newegg still sells some 24-pin supplies that include the -5v pin, but you have to read the details to discover which they are. I have two PS here that still work so the mobo isn't dead just yet. Reckon it's time for a mobo upgrade. Meanwhile this is a pitfall for anybody with an older mobo that needs a new power supply. It isn't enough to just order an 'ATX' supply.

The ATX 'standard' has apparently been revised 4 times since the 24-pin connector -- at version 1.2 the -5v pin became optional.

Sorry to trouble you all with this -- just assumed that the mavens here would already know all about it.

It's most likely that you will find exactly what you need in the local recycle yard . or charity shop . for which you will pay peanuts .

Myself I just gather the old stuff from "dumpsters" This may not be an option for you especially if you are tight for storage .

It's very rare that I don't have something that I can use for a work around .

I picked up 4x 1gb ram cards the other day . Still in the wrappers.

It's most likely that you will find exactly what you need in the local recycle yard . or charity shop . for which you will pay peanuts .

Myself I just gather the old stuff from "dumpsters" This may not be an option for you especially if you are tight for storage .

It's very rare that I don't have something that I can use for a work around .

I picked up 4x 1gb ram cards the other day . Still in the wrappers.

That is some posh dumpster. We would be lucky to get the wrappers. :whistling:

The ATX 1.3 standard did away with that -5V pin more than 10 years ago because it was useless. You had to have a mobo with ISA slots and use an ISA card to need that -5V pin.

• Like 1

Well you just have to be lucky enough to pass by when the builders are clearing out a house/shop/apartment prior to refurbishment.

Indeedy,

I remember finding a huge industrial fan 30" with shroud in a skip. I checked that it spun freely and was going to cannibalise it for a project but on a whim I fitted a plug and it worked as smooth as silk and very quiet. So I stashed it in the garage and sold it to a builder chappy who made a portable extraction unit out of it. He was happy and so was I with the £40 I made (ten years ago).

:blissysmile:

• Like 1

That 40quid came in very handy "no doubt" .

Anything I bring home that doesn't work get broken down for the metals or goes up the chimney for free heat .

Have you seen the price of copper these days.

• 2 weeks later...