Windows Cannot Find File

NobleKnight

NobleKnight

Hi. This is a simple problem but tried checking the ms kb without success.When launching files with a .vbs extension by double clicking or right clicking inf files to install a program, i get this message even though the file is physically there.Windows cannot find "C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Desktop\File.inf. Make sure you type the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button, and then click search.Did i do something to disable the launching of these files or of any other extension that i'm not aware of now? Btw .exe files launch for sure.

The problem is that another program has registered the .INF extension for its own private files, thus overwriting the standard Windows features for .INF files. To solve the problem, uninstall the program that has registered the .INF extension as its own. If it is not possible to uninstall the program, the .INF extension can be re-directed to the Windows standard by making a few changes to the registry. WARNINGPlease note that changing the registry manually is risky and should only be done as a last resort. To change the registry, run the Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE) and open the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.INF node. If the node doesn't exist, then create it. Set the default value of the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.INF node to "inffile".If the above solution doesn't help, consult Microsoft on how to re-establish the standard Windows settings for .INF files.

More info...This problem can also occur when the .inf file for the driver that is being installed already exists in the default INF directory. However, the driver that is being installed is not the currently installed driver for the device. The .inf file for the new driver that you are trying to install may have been placed in the INF directory by the SetupCopyOEMInf() function, or the driver may have been previously installed and then removed, leaving the .inf file behind. In this scenario, the UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices() function is unsuccessful and incorrectly gives an error that no drivers are available for the device.

NobleKnight

Hi Marsden. I'm using win xp pro. I tried your first solution but my registry was set accordingly to the default value of inffile. It's also set for default string value of VBSFile in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.vbs. I'm using the .inf to specifically install a program not a driver for a device. I'm unable to contact Microsoft but if u know any other solution like the one u mentioned about reverting to the standard Windows settings for .inf or as a matter of fact .vbs files, please post. Thanks