Question About Buggy Firefox

Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

Hi, All-

On this one computer and no others, I am seeing this oddity in the address window.

Its length varies as does address lengths. Obviously it is totally obscuring the addresses.

I'd like to know if there is some switch inside FF that can go berserk, and if it's just

a matter of resetting that switch? I have never seen Firefox do this before.

Any ideas?

(Notice the black and gray bars in the address box, right above Eric's icon)

WeirdFirefoxBehavior02a_zpse409bf23.jpg?t=1409037309

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Change the theme and see if those bars are still present.

I rarely stick with the default theme long enough to notice anything unusual.

What distro are you running this in?

Guest LilBambi
SOLVED on my old pentium M laptop running Lubuntu 14.04

To fix in Firefox 29:

• type about:config[Enter]

• Promise to be careful

• In the Search Bar type gfx.xrender.enabled

• Right-click (F12) and Toggle to make it false

• Exit Firefox. Open Firefox again.

Source: Comment #11 in the following bug report https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1316250

Got this in the last entry here.

Interesting because I run Lubuntu 14.04 with FF 28 on my 7" ASUS from a USB stick with persistence (I don't think I updated, I'll need to check). I never saw anything like that. It could be because I am not running 29 or because I'm not using the default theme or a combination of both things.

If I do update, I'll need those directions.

Cluttermagnet

Liz, I will mention the board and distro etc. once I get downstairs and get that particular box in the basement fired up. But pretty much every tower here has Mint 17 Mate on it right now. I experiment with plenty of other distros but Mint is my standard install lately. And the hardware is going to be some MSI board running a P4-478 CPU, about 10 year old tech.

Fran- I bet your about:config reference has it nailed. I suspect that some switch somehow got set the wrong way in FF on that particular tower, I've never seen this particular bahavior before. This is the one and only instance ever, in my experience. Obviously FF still works on there, it has just chosen to obscure addresses for some strange reason. I'll try your easy fix shortly...

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

Success! Thanks, Fran. Bingo! You knocked it out of the park on this one. I have 'real' addresses in my FF address window now.

For Liz- this P4-478 box is an MSI 865GVM2-LS, aka MS-7037. CPU is 2.8GHz/1M/800. OS is Linux Mint 17 Mate 32 bit.

2G DDR1 RAM. As I mentioned, I've never seen this before. No idea what caused it, but the about:config cure was easy enough.

Note that what Fran had me do was to essentially create a FF parameter that did not exist on this machine, then negate it

(turn it off). Worked like a charm. Just remember the "Question About Buggy Firefox" title of this thread so you can navigate

back here later- just in case. I bet this is fairly rare.

• Like 1

Interesting. Looks like this bug affects old Intel graphics solutions. I haven't seen it because my oldest machine that had Intel graphics now features an Nvidia card.

Guest LilBambi

This topic needs to be seen by folks from all different OSes, not just linux. This is a browser related issue and being moved to Social Media so others will find it if needed even if they run Windows or Mac.

A link to this topic remains in BATL to make it easier for folks to find it.