ipod switch from pc to mac

jrock

Hi - I just moved my wife from a PC to an iBook (YES!!!). I just realized that her iPod is formatted for PC. We just tried to move over a new playlist to the ipod, but nothing happened. There was alot of song analysis, but nothing seems to be broken :-) We updated existing playlists just fine. Do we need to reformat the ipod for mac? if we don't need to, are there any advantages to doing so? Any advice, directions, etc. on what and how to do's would be greatly appreciated. I'm still in the PC world (client's systems don't work well with OSX, but that's changing and I will be going MBPro very soon!), and I don't have my own ipod, so instructions would be great too. Thanks!Jrock

I think all you have to do is restore it using the button on the summary page that should appear when you plug it into the Mac on iTunes 7. As far as advantages to doing so, I expect that it won't make that much difference if it has been working well on the PC. I know that mine has worked flawlessly formatted for the Mac and others have had trouble with theirs set up for PC's in version 7 but that would be the only advantage. If you have purchased any music from iTunes using the PC, you'll need to authorize them to play on the Mac but that is all pretty self-explanatorywhen you plug it in. :)

I switched my ipod for PC to Mac and don't remember formatting. I now I had to deregister it on the PC through the Mac and register it on the Mac. It does not seem to be the resource hog on the Mac that it was on the PC. I know you can have multiple computers now for it so you should not have to deregister it. On the other hand, make sure you copy all of the music over to the Mac if switching so you don't lose anything. I did not have anything purchased through the Mac store since all of mine are CDs I own. I did not lose a thing.

My iPod was formatted for Windows and when I plugged it in to my Mac it "just worked". However, when I updated it last week it reformatted.

Well it wasn't actually spontaneous, I hit the "Restore" button. After it reformatted it did the update and then added my library again, so it was fine.