new Linux / Unix forum

striker

Not knocking the forum, it looks good, and wilderssecurity have been around a while.But I wonder where the got the inspiration for the name "all things UNIX" ?! ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

A better name would have been "The Happy Penguin"... er, no... wait. That one's already being used. ;) How 'bout "All Things 'Nix", since it's not just a UNIX forum? I only visit two Linux forums regularly... this one and LinuxQuestions. Don't need no more forums. :)

:) Don't miss the point: the fact that it's on Wilders now too is not for nothing. Linux gets more popular and IMO that and a forum at Wilders is deserved. I do visit that place more than once daily, but my "home" just happens to be at Scots. Feeling more comfortable. ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

I see... Wilders has always been primarily a Windows-related forum. :)Hey Urmie... when Patty puts a 'Nix section at Computer Haven, then we'll know we've come along, huh? ;)

I see... Wilders has always been primarily a Windows-related forum. :)Hey Urmie... when Patty puts a 'Nix section at Computer Haven, then we'll know we've come along, huh? :)
Boy that'll be the day. But I think the phrase "when h_e_L_L freezes over" applies here. ;) Edited by Frank Golden

Did you see This thread ? There is a link to ATL with the comment

Direct Link to Scott Finnie's Linux Forum.A busy Linux forum with useful how to's and introduction sections with reviews and installation tutorials in the 'sticky' section.
;) Bruno

Wishes.png

You think she should have named it "Microsoft Haven" instead, Frank? ;)
Yeah. I'm about done with them over there.Below is the response from one of the folks over there in response to a question about open source vs Micro$oft
Well my opinion is that a lot of what you ask cannot be answered here as this is primarily a forum set up to help novices with the Microsoft operating systems and products.There are people here that use other systems and open source software but you are asking that people get into a discussion about which is better and that is not the purpose of this forum, those sort of discussion can get out of hand and very heated and I don't think Patty or the moderators would be very happy about that. As I've said these are my opinions about the thread and I don't know what the moderators opinions would be.Sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear
BTW, the rest of the thread contained some great info and responses from some of us penguins. No getting out of hand or heated discussions. I think the Windoze crowd is getting nervous about Linux and open source in general. Edited by Frank Golden

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, being a forum emperor myself, I know that Patti can make her forum anything she pleases. People have the option to "change the channel" at any time. Sometimes, we all take things a little too seriously online. Hey! Who cares if they LOVE their Windows over at Computer Haven? More power to 'em, I say. Just so happens that I'm not that big of a MS fan these days, so I tread lightly over there, if I tread at all. When I want to stomp around and leave BIG penguin tracks, I come here.

linux_communist.jpg

Cluttermagnet

Wonderfuil to see this. Bookmarked. I'll poke around that forum a little more. So far, I did tease up this gem:

I migrated to Linux-Mint (mint flavored Ubuntu), bout a month ago and I must tell you, it's just terrible, . . . no matter how often I run the AV (Avast for linux) or the rootkit scanner (rkhunter, or chkrootkit), nothing turns up! Ever! They system is clean, clean, clean. No trojans, no rootkits, nothing to submit to the online windows security mavens. Nothing to report on the Wilders forums. Microsoft security advisories bring a chuckle (the poor devils on the Windows torture rack).However, I didn't have any trouble migrating my WinXP apps to Linux-Mint, because 95% of the apps on my windows partition were security apps. Now no longer needed. Freedom!With Linux-Mint, I get my work done by lunch time and have the rest of the day free. I've discovered sunlight again, and find that I really like it.There really IS life after Windows, it's spelled Linux.
;) Re: Linux seems great, BUT...I remember how 'habituated' I was to Windows (98SE). It took a lot of will power to get myself to budge. It's seemingly so easy to remain with the familiar. But looking back, I hate how much time I wasted on tinkering with the Windows OS, and especially, with all that security software. Ugh! I don't miss it a bit.

I remember how 'habituated' I was to Windows (98SE). It took a lot of will power to get myself to budge.
I was in the same situation when it came to Windows Me (its support ended.) I was thinking about upgrading to XP (and did eventually.) Problem was I had a second (older) machine and didn't want to invest another $100 on it.SueD suggested I try Linux. I got a free copy of Ubuntu from a local computer shop - at the time I knew nothing of ISOs. It took me a week to get it working with a wireless card - and I had a good one.Then I found an ugly old Compaq laptop in a recycling store. It was running a corrupted copy of Windows 95. The rest is history.

V.T. Eric Layton

In my case, it was Urmas, Frank Golden, and a couple friends from the Avant Browser Support Forums, Sweet Lou and Angeldust, who got me started on this Linux thing. Two and a half years I've been using GNU/Linux as my primary operating system. My! How time flies! ;)

In my case, it was Urmas, Frank Golden, and a couple friends from the Avant Browser Support Forums, Sweet Lou and Angeldust, who got me started on this Linux thing. Two and a half years I've been using GNU/Linux as my primary operating system. My! How time flies! :)
Indeed, "tempus fugits". I started using Ubuntu when it was Hoary Hedgehog. Got turned on to it by an item in PC World magazine.I have used and experimented with every release since then (Breezy Badger, Dapper Drake, Edgy Eft, Feisty Fawn, Gutsy Gibbon, Hardy Heron and Intrepid Ibex) and have observed Ubuntu evolve dramatically.Shuttleworth etal have their feces together. ;) I well remember putting a "bug" in Eric's ear about Ubuntu after reading his post at CH about problems he had regarding Windows update. Patty's responses weren't very helpful except for maybe driving Eric to linux. :whistling:Eric's adventures as chronicled here and at the Cabin inspired me to get really serious about linux.I also use PCLinuxOS 2008 gnome but not as much as Ubuntu. Edited by Frank Golden

Indeed, "tempus fugits".
Had to check... it was three years and eight days ago when I went online with Ubuntu [breezy] for the first time. Happy Happy Joy Joy!16rp2.gif

Had to check... it was three years and eight days ago when I went online with Ubuntu [breezy] for the first time. Happy Happy Joy Joy!16rp2.gif
As I recall you started with Ubuntu about the same time I did. I didn't realize it was over 3 years. Whew.

Hmm... did my posts here to Acadia get deleted? Or did they not go through when I posted them yesterday?
Eric, looks like Bruno split this thread and continued it on another called Moose Goes Penguin. :thumbsup: Edited by Frank Golden

I don't think your dreaming Eric, there appears to be a whole second page of this thread missing.Bruno, do you know what happened?
They just split them off into a thread of their own, that's all, nothing has been deleted. See "Moose goes Penguin". :thumbsup: Acadia Edited by Acadia