PCLinuxOS No Sound

Ghost

Hello-I am having a little trouble and I am not sure where to go again. First I tried PCLinuxOS 9.1 Live CD and everything worked very well. Graphics and sound were all there. I finally made the choice to install it on my hard drive. Everything went smooth with no problems. I rebooted and then login. I recieved the following error message:

Sound server informational message:Error while initializing the sound driver:device: default can't be opened for playback (No such file or directory)The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
So I tried googling etc... and didn't really come up with anything... so I tried to see if I could do anything from the command line.
$ alsamixerNo mixer elems found
Has anyone ran into this or can maybe lead me in the right direction? Like I said the sound worked great on the Live CD...

Hi GhostThe error you get is for the aRts-sound-server and should only affect the system-sounds ( and not playing mp3s in xmms for example ).You can disable aRts in the KDE control Center under "Sound" --> "Sound System" and use "an external player" for the system sounds ( KDE Control Center --> Look & Feel --> System Notifications --> "Player Settings" --> "Use an External Player" and fill in the box "/usr/bin/play"Next, if you still have no sound, please post the output of

$ aumix -q

:hmm: Burno

Hi GhostThe error you get is for the aRts-sound-server and should only affect the system-sounds ( and not playing mp3s in xmms for example ).You can disable aRts in the KDE control Center under "Sound" --> "Sound System" and use "an external player" for the system sounds ( KDE Control Center --> Look & Feel --> System Notifications --> "Player Settings" --> "Use an External Player" and fill in the box "/usr/bin/play"Next, if you still have no sound, please post the output of
$ aumix -q

:hmm: Burno

Hi Burno-Let me also add this... I don't have sound for anything. I cannot hear any audio streams or music files on my hard drive. When I open kmix there is only a mic setting, no master volume control, bass, etc....I can go to aRts Master Volume but I don't see an option to Use External Player...Here is aumix -q:
$ aumix -qbash: aumix: command not found
When I try to open streaming radio with Xmms I get:
Please check that:Your soundcard is configured properlyYou have the correct output plugin selectedNo other program is bloking the soundcard
Edited by Ghost

Hi GhostCould you have a look if "aumix" is available in the synapticpackage manager ? Install it and do the "aumix -q" again.:hmm: Bruno

Hello-I am having a little trouble and I am not sure where to go again. First I tried PCLinuxOS 9.1 Live CD and everything worked very well. Graphics and sound were all there. I finally made the choice to install it on my hard drive. Everything went smooth with no problems. I rebooted and then login. I recieved the following error message:Has anyone ran into this or can maybe lead me in the right direction? Like I said the sound worked great on the Live CD...
I found it, installed it. Logged out/in and here is what I am getting:
$ aumix -qaumix: error opening mixer
I don't know if this is a concern... When I installed PCLinuxOS I put the / and /home on different partitions. I don't assume that to be a problem. I am just trying to give you as much info. as possible. Like I said it worked great from the live CD. Edited by Ghost

I don't know if this is a concern... When I installed PCLinuxOS I put the / and /home on different partitions. I don't assume that to be a problem. I am just trying to give you as much info. as possible. Like I said it worked great from the live CD.
/home and / in separate partitions is good . . . that is the best you can do . . . . so there is not the problem.You wrote that you logged out . . . maybe reboot now and when you get the progressbar during boot please press the Esc-key and see if there are any errors you can spot.:hmm: Bruno

/home and / in separate partitions is good . . . that is the best you can do . . . . so there is not the problem.You wrote that you logged out . . . maybe reboot now and when you get the progressbar during boot please press the Esc-key and see if there are any errors you can spot.:hmm: Bruno
Ok rebooted... Everything is showing pass. No fails on load. aumix -q is still showing the same error....

Strange . . . . . :'(I take it that you see a gray ( and not blue ) "Kmix" icon next to the clock . . . can you click on it and let the mixer window pop up . . . then see if by changing the green dotsavobe the sliders you see the color of the Kmix icon change to blue ( sometimes you have to activate the "headphone" slider ):hmm: Bruno

Strange . . . . . :'(I take it that you see a gray ( and not blue ) "Kmix" icon next to the clock . . . can you click on it and let the mixer window pop up . . . then see if by changing the green dotsavobe the sliders you see the color of the Kmix icon change to blue ( sometimes you have to activate the "headphone" slider ):hmm: Bruno
Actually I don't see anything next to the clock. No speaker, nothing. If I go to Sound -> KMix the speaker shows up but when you open it there are no output settings. Edited by Ghost

Okay . . in that case I need you to boot the Live CD and do

$ su< password ># /sbin/lsmod | egrep -i snd\|sound\|audio\|game

Then post the output on the forumAfter that boot the HD installed PCLos and repeat the commands so we can compare the outputB) Bruno

PART 2If the outputs from the post above are very different try this:Boot the Live version again and go to "PCLos Control Center" --> "Hardware" --> "Configure Alsa or OSS drivers for your soundcard" . . . note down on paper what you see there.Then boot the HD install and go to "PCLos Control Center" --> "Hardware" --> "Configure Alsa or OSS drivers for your soundcard" . . . and make the settings the same.:hmm: Bruno

Live CD

# /sbin/lsmod | egrep -i snd\|sound\|audio\|gamesnd-usb-audio 60096 1snd-usb-lib 10880 1 snd-usb-audiosnd-seq-oss 28608 0snd-seq-midi-event 5888 1 snd-seq-osssnd-seq 44912 4 snd-seq-oss,snd-seq-midi-eventsnd-pcm-oss 46432 0snd-mixer-oss 15584 1 snd-pcm-osssnd-intel8x0 27552 1snd-emu10k1 81828 1snd-rawmidi 18688 2 snd-usb-lib,snd-emu10k1snd-seq-device 6668 4 snd-seq-oss,snd-seq,snd-emu10k1,snd-rawmidisnd-ac97-codec 68152 2 snd-intel8x0,snd-emu10k1snd-pcm 75748 5 snd-usb-audio,snd-pcm-oss,snd-intel8x0,snd-emu10k1,snd-ac97-codecsnd-timer 19524 3 snd-seq,snd-emu10k1,snd-pcmsnd-page-alloc 7364 3 snd-intel8x0,snd-emu10k1,snd-pcmsnd-util-mem 3232 1 snd-emu10k1snd-hwdep 6688 1 snd-emu10k1snd 43716 19 snd-usb-audio,snd-seq-oss,snd-seq,snd-pcm-oss,snd-mixer-oss,snd-intel8x0,snd-emu10k1,snd-rawmidi,snd-seq-device,snd-ac97-codec,snd-pcm,snd-timer,snd-hwdepsoundcore 6656 1 sndusbcore 101400 12 snd-usb-audio,snd-usb-lib,usbmouse,pwc,usbhid,visor,usbserial,usb-storage,ehci-hcd,ohci-hcd,uhci-hcd
HD
# /sbin/lsmod | egrep -i snd\|sound\|audio\|gamesnd-usb-audio 60096 1snd-pcm 75748 1 snd-usb-audiosnd-timer 19524 1 snd-pcmsnd-page-alloc 7364 1 snd-pcmsnd-usb-lib 10880 1 snd-usb-audiosnd-rawmidi 18688 1 snd-usb-libsnd-seq-device 6668 1 snd-rawmidisnd 43716 7 snd-usb-audio,snd-pcm,snd-timer,snd-rawmidi,snd-seq-devicesoundcore 6656 1 sndusbcore 100856 9 snd-usb-audio,snd-usb-lib,usbmouse,usbhid,pwc,uhci-hcd,usb-storage,ehci-hcd
I will do part 2 now....

Live CDI will do part 2 now....
Yep "PART 2" should do the trick because now the HD install loads the wrong modules ( not the same as the "Live" ) . . . .and the PCLos Control Center is where you can change this ( and once changed it will hold the setting on the next reboot(s) ):hmm: Bruno

Yep "PART 2" should do the trick because now the HD install loads the wrong modules ( not the same as the "Live" ) . . . .and the PCLos Control Center is where you can change this ( and once changed it will hold the setting on the next reboot(s) ):hmm: Bruno
Thanks for all of your help Bruno-Now I just need to figure out how to edit this. As soon as I do I will be sure to post back and let you know what happens...~GHOST~

Got it!!!!!Well I don't know how I finally stumbled across it but here is what I did to get it up and running...modprobe snd-seq-ossalsaconfI don't the the modprobe snd-seq-oss had anything to do with it. I still couldn't get into the alsamixer.I ran alsaconf and went through the steps....Up and running finally!!!!!! Now the question is will it still work when I reboot? The modprobe.conf was edited by the alsaconf. I will keep my fingers crossed and give it a shot!Thanks Bruno for all of you help... I know it isn't easy to diag. problems like this over the net but I do thank you. I was a mechanic for 10 years and tried my best to do the samething... :w00t: :thumbsup: All I have to say to the bugs right now is :harhar:

Edited by Ghost

Congratulations, don't you love it when stuff comes together.
Yes it is! I logged and then back no more error messages!!! I am just happy that I finally have things going!