9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:46 PM

might need to download the original version to get full size if you don't quite realize what it is
https://postimg.org/image/ox4r9qnjl/
Posted Image

Spoiler between the brackers :) [ yepp, a Gateway original Netbook Nav50 that came with Windows 7 Starter preinstalled ]
highlight to see the text.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#2 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,200 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:49 PM

That's pretty amazing!

#3 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:43 AM

I have a similarly specd netbook (Toshiba NB305) and I went to Linux on it when I got it free from my neighbor. With a cheap SSD it is a pretty nice travel unit although it only supports a max of 2 GB RAM.
Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#4 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:27 PM

Great job! Very cool!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#5 OFFLINE   Dr. J

Dr. J

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:54 AM

My backup netbook is an MSI from roughly the same era, also got an Atom processor and 2G of ram. As well as Slackware & Debian, It still has the original version of W7 Starter it came with. Sluggish as <censored> though, alway was - that's why I inherited the thing.
@crp, how is your machine actually handling 10?
/usr/bin/drinking
~/hungover

#6 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 01:31 AM

View PostDr. J, on 16 July 2016 - 07:54 AM, said:

My backup netbook is an MSI from roughly the same era, also got an Atom processor and 2G of ram. As well as Slackware & Debian, It still has the original version of W7 Starter it came with. Sluggish as <censored> though, alway was - that's why I inherited the thing.
This has an Atom 1.66mhz with 1G RAM. It is running quite well actually. I have not made any changes to the stock installation yet. The startup time is slightly longer than W7's but the start menu has a 5 second lag. Hopefully that will go away when i get ClassicShell (or something similiar) installed. The few programs i have on it still run , same speed if not a smidgen quicker. Oddly, battery life seems better.
Big Question - Cortona. If i can get it to work well, i'd have a quite good Amazon Echo type device for my purposes.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#7 OFFLINE   Dr. J

Dr. J

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 12:04 PM

View Postcrp, on 17 July 2016 - 01:31 AM, said:

View PostDr. J, on 16 July 2016 - 07:54 AM, said:

This has an Atom 1.66mhz with 1G RAM. It is running quite well actually. I have not made any changes to the stock installation yet. The startup time is slightly longer than W7's but the start menu has a 5 second lag. Hopefully that will go away when i get ClassicShell (or something similiar) installed. The few programs i have on it still run , same speed if not a smidgen quicker. Oddly, battery life seems better.
Big Question - Cortona. If i can get it to work well, i'd have a quite good Amazon Echo type device for my purposes.

Neat! I'd have assumed things to be worse. There's no start menu lag on my machine, but plenty of it elsewhere. MS office 2010 was unbearable, even OpenOffice is a bit on the slow side. Could be the difference between a clean install, and one that's been on there since the thing rolled off the assembly line.
/usr/bin/drinking
~/hungover

#8 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,531 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:37 AM

cool! good job, crp!
Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 11:53 PM

and the answer is  ...........................

Nope. The microphone is just not of good enough quality for Cortonna to understand anything. I was thinking about getting an external microphone but with the 2nd generation Echo Dot being available to all for $50 , i have decided to avoid the headaches and just get an Echo Dot.

#10 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,395 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 05:08 PM

View Postcrp, on 17 September 2016 - 11:53 PM, said:

and the answer is  ...........................

Nope. The microphone is just not of good enough quality for Cortonna to understand anything. I was thinking about getting an external microphone but with the 2nd generation Echo Dot being available to all for $50 , i have decided to avoid the headaches and just get an Echo Dot.

Just looked up the Echo Dot and it is a neat bit of kit. Adding one to your speakers sounds cool. :breakfast:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users