DCC between XP and 98SE Laptop

Fox Hunter

Fox Hunter

I have been trying a direct parallel connection between my desktop (XP) and my laptop (98SE). The only way I can get it work at all is for the desktop to be Guest and laptop the Host. Then I can map the drive of the laptop on the XP system. No problems! However, of course, I cannot see the desktop files on the laptop and I don't know if the Guest is supposed to be seen.Here is the worst problem. When I attempt to set the XP to Host and click next the app hangs and will not continue. I am always logged on as admin so that should not be a problem. I realize I have not given any specifics for protocol settings, etc, but will answer any questions for anyone willing to tackle this problem. Thanks!Don

Make sure NetBEUI is running on both machines. Make sure the COM ports have the same baud rate on both machines and that flow control are identical. Also, on the XP machine, I think you'd also have to have a local workstation account created that the laptop would use to log into.

Fox Hunter
Make sure NetBEUI is running on both machines. Make sure the COM ports have the same baud rate on both machines and that flow control are identical. Also, on the XP machine, I think you'd also have to have a local workstation account created that the laptop would use to log into.
Parallel LP1 port is used on both machines and both are using the same Workgroup name and unique computer names. I can read the laptop on the XP machine. Everything that I have read about direct connections involves a great deal of controversy about whether Netbeui or IPX/SPX is desirable, Netbeui being unsupported. They are both using IPX/SPX/Netbios. I am not sure what you mean by 'local workstation account', maybe guest account? On which machine?Don

GolfProRM

You need an account on your XP machine that your laptop can login to. Don't know that guest will give you the access you need. Basically you need a user account to login to the XP machine remotely... not sure that this is needed (never used DCC), but this is what Peachy is talking about. B)

Not sure if this is part of the problem, but 98se (FAT32) will not see XP if it is using NTFS. Unless this does not apply when using DCC. I have never tried using DCC between FAT32 and NTFS, so I do not know for sure. Just thought I would mention it.

Fox Hunter

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts but what causes the system to hang or lockup on XP when Host is selected. That is the main issue. :) Don

Not sure if this is part of the problem, but 98se (FAT32) will not see XP if it is using NTFS. Unless this does not apply when using DCC. I have never tried using DCC between FAT32 and NTFS, so I do not know for sure. Just thought I would mention it.
Hmm,I thought that any shares offered over the network would be done using CIFS (Common Internet File System). It shouldn't matter what the host filesystem is.

Fox Hunter

Just was reading Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 194709 which says guest files cannot be viewed by the host and a computer must be configured to be the host for files to be viewed. So... my problem is how do I get the XP to take the host setting without hanging.Don :lol:

Fox Hunter
xp and netbeui can = very slow.there is a resolution i read a few weeks ago... i'll look and if i find, will post.this could acct for the appearant hanging.
I wasn't very clear about the hanging so will try to explain it better. While using the New Connection Wizard in XP and once I get to the selection of Host then click Next it hangs or does not respond and must be closed in the Task Manager. Works OK for Guest so that is the only way I can use it. Just one of those things that bugs the h... out of me. ;) Thanks for your reply.