#1 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 09:00 PM

Probably not.

https://fossbytes.co...-free-vpn-safe/

In a recent study by The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation(CSIRO), researchers analyzed 283 Android VPN apps to study their impact on user’s privacy and security. They found out that 75% of the tested apps used third-party tracking libraries, and hence, they can’t be trusted. 82% of the apps required permissions to access sensitive resources such as user accounts and text messages. Worst of all, the study published that more than 38% had malware presence such as adware, trojan, malvertising, riskware, and spyware.

Also linked at the end of that article:
Top 10 Best VPN Services for 2018 - https://fossbytes.co...oviders-review/
registered Linux user number 324659  ||    The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#2 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,942 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 09:34 PM

Like a lot of things, if it is free, then you are the product.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,942 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 06:34 AM

Would you really want to run your internet traffic through a free provider? How do you think they are making money? They are selling your browsing data.

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#4 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,147 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 11:33 AM

Pick a paid one that is verified to not keep logs. Some say no logs but they lie.
Here are two sites with lists
https://www.vpnmento...st-no-log-vpns/
https://www.techrada...e-and-anonymous

I have a list of 26 and when I stumble across the website where I got this from, I'll post it.
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,942 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 01:12 PM

Private Internet Access (PIA) has been challenged in federal court twice and they could not give up any logs

Private Internet Access’ “No-Logging” Claims Proven True Again in Court (2018)
VPN Provider’s No-Logging Claims Tested in FBI Case (2016)

#6 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:49 PM

I'd probably choose between PIA, NordVPN, or ExpressVPN which are the top 3 recommendations in the second Fossbytes link in my original post.
registered Linux user number 324659  ||    The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#7 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,942 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:36 PM

View Postsunrat, on 17 August 2018 - 08:49 PM, said:

I'd probably choose between PIA, NordVPN, or ExpressVPN which are the top 3 recommendations in the second Fossbytes link in my original post.

AirVPN is another good one as well.

#8 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:32 AM

In my view using a "free" VPN is a rather oxy-moronic thing to do. :yes:
After all, if you're concerned about privacy and anonymity and you just know a free provider is going to make some use of your browsing data - you'd be an idiot if you didn't pay for your VPN. I use PIA and it works great if I need to use a public network.
Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#9 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,147 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:39 AM

I found the article on testing logging of VPNs.
https://thebestvpn.c...logging-policy/
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,517 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 11:16 AM

View Postsunrat, on 17 August 2018 - 08:49 PM, said:

I've been using PIA for a couple years now. No complaints at all. Their tech support is OUTSTANDING, actually. :)

#11 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,633 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:58 AM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 17 August 2018 - 06:34 AM, said:

Would you really want to run your internet traffic through a free provider? How do you think they are making money? They are selling your browsing data.

View Postraymac46, on 18 August 2018 - 10:32 AM, said:

In my view using a "free" VPN is a rather oxy-moronic thing to do. :yes: After all, if you're concerned about privacy and anonymity and you just know a free provider is going to make some use of your browsing data - you'd be an idiot if you didn't pay for your VPN. I use PIA and it works great if I need to use a public network.

https://thebestvpn.c...ews/protonvpn/

Not all free offerings want to rip you of. ProtonVPN may be a tad slow on the free offering but they do not want  a pound of flesh for it. :breakfast:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users