Here's something to wrap your brains around!

onederer

Dear Friends, I'm this close to throwing this machine in the trash can! I can't do wireless networking in Linux, due to the above error listed in the Topic Description.It seems that the Linux OS's that I've tried, don't use RF-kill (rfkill), so I'm getting nowhere in fixing this problem. I couldn't find rfkill in Ubuntu-KDE, or in PCLOS. What's happening is that I've been forced to a new install of Windows and Linux in this machine. In both OS's the installation has been a nightmare. Wireless is absent. Trouble shooting the OS, brought to light, the error message listed in the Topic Description.After trying the remedies found using Google, and getting nowhere, it now brings me to here.I've seen suggestions such as "rfkill unlock all". That supposed to release the mechanical switch and the software switch to allow wireless networking. But not all OS's use "rfkill". What they use, I don't know.Under normal conditions, the mechanical wireless switch, when in the left position, turns the led to orange, and blue to the right when wireless is active. Software wise, this is also the case. When the software turns off the wireless, the led turns orange, and of course blue when wireless is active. Well, right now, I'm using a Live version of PCLOS. this time, the led is orange. Other OS's the light was blue, but never connecting to the data stream. So now, how do I kill the 'rfkill' problem, so that I can do wireless networking again? Supposedly the mechanical switch and the software switch have to be in sync to work. This is not happening.This laptop has an Atheros (ath5k, bg) card, working with Nvidia. It is 64 bit machine, with 3GB ram, and a 250GB hd. The CPU is an AMD Turion64 mobile chip.It's possible that the wireless has gone to heaven, but I really don't think so. At least not yet!So, as a last resort, I need your collective knowledge to kind of figuring this problem's solution.I even bought a USB wireless bgn dongle from Tiger Direct, hoping that the unit was totally self contained, and could be used for wireless. My problems wasn't that easily relieved. It was a failure. Looking forward to a conclusion to this mystery.Cheers!

V.T. Eric Layton

My Dell lappy has similar specs... AMD Turion64, 2Gig RAM, 120GB hd, etc. Slackware and Win 7 both run fine on it. Wireless was problematic for me in Slackware, but I finally resolved it. The entire thread was pretty interesting, but here is what finally fixed it for me --> http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...st&p=308063Might give you some hints, onederer.

Dear Friends, I'm this close to throwing this machine in the trash can! I can't do wireless networking in Linux, due to the above error listed in the Topic Description.It seems that the Linux OS's that I've tried, don't use RF-kill (rfkill), so I'm getting nowhere in fixing this problem. I couldn't find rfkill in Ubuntu-KDE, or in PCLOS. What's happening is that I've been forced to a new install of Windows and Linux in this machine. In both OS's the installation has been a nightmare. Wireless is absent. Trouble shooting the OS, brought to light, the error message listed in the Topic Description.After trying the remedies found using Google, and getting nowhere, it now brings me to here.I've seen suggestions such as "rfkill unlock all". That supposed to release the mechanical switch and the software switch to allow wireless networking. But not all OS's use "rfkill". What they use, I don't know.Under normal conditions, the mechanical wireless switch, when in the left position, turns the led to orange, and blue to the right when wireless is active. Software wise, this is also the case. When the software turns off the wireless, the led turns orange, and of course blue when wireless is active. Well, right now, I'm using a Live version of PCLOS. this time, the led is orange. Other OS's the light was blue, but never connecting to the data stream. So now, how do I kill the 'rfkill' problem, so that I can do wireless networking again? Supposedly the mechanical switch and the software switch have to be in sync to work. This is not happening.This laptop has an Atheros (ath5k, bg) card, working with Nvidia. It is 64 bit machine, with 3GB ram, and a 250GB hd. The CPU is an AMD Turion64 mobile chip.It's possible that the wireless has gone to heaven, but I really don't think so. At least not yet!So, as a last resort, I need your collective knowledge to kind of figuring this problem's solution.I even bought a USB wireless bgn dongle from Tiger Direct, hoping that the unit was totally self contained, and could be used for wireless. My problems wasn't that easily relieved. It was a failure. Looking forward to a conclusion to this mystery.Cheers!
Wireless in Linux should work OTB with just about any current LiveCD. If you have tried several NEW LiveCDs and none of them work by detecting nearby routers, then bad hardware is probably the cause. You shouldn't have any need to have even heard of "rfkill".You said you bought a wifi dongle and it didn't work either. But you didn't specify what the dongle was or what you did to test it. Again, with most current LiveCDs, most dongle will work OTB. Plug it in, boot the CD, and click the network icon in the task bar to chose your network. One thing I would suggest is that you physically check the wifi card in the laptop to make sure it is seated properly and that then antenna wire aren't broken or disconnected. It should be easy to access with just one or two screws on the bottom of the laptop. And while it shouldn't be necessary to remove the card to use the dongle, it couldn't hurt to try that.BTW, just when/where does the "rfkill" error appear?

You might want to try removing network manager applet if it is installed.....sounds weird, but I have a Eeepc ((ath5k, bg,same wireless) that will Not connect if that is installed...it does see connection...but will not connect.

securitybreach
Thanks for posting this when I didn't have time to do so before I had to leave for an appt, Josh!
No problem ;)

Thanks for the tip,However, that didn't work. I'll have to keep on looking. MS gave me a copy of Vista Ultimate, since they couldn't solve the problem with Win7. The problem is even worse than Win7. No networking at all!No coax or wireless is available. I fear that the wireless card is kaputs.

Wireless in Linux should work OTB with just about any current LiveCD. If you have tried several NEW LiveCDs and none of them work by detecting nearby routers, then bad hardware is probably the cause. You shouldn't have any need to have even heard of "rfkill".You said you bought a wifi dongle and it didn't work either. But you didn't specify what the dongle was or what you did to test it. Again, with most current LiveCDs, most dongle will work OTB. Plug it in, boot the CD, and click the network icon in the task bar to chose your network. One thing I would suggest is that you physically check the wifi card in the laptop to make sure it is seated properly and that then antenna wire aren't broken or disconnected. It should be easy to access with just one or two screws on the bottom of the laptop. And while it shouldn't be necessary to remove the card to use the dongle, it couldn't hurt to try that.BTW, just when/where does the "rfkill" error appear?
Using the "rfkill" utility, is related to my current problem in Linux. I found it on the Internet by the people who have been successful in curing the problem to unlock the wireless card. I couldn't find that "rfkill" by searching the computer. It said that it didn't exist. However, yesterday, I found that utility in Synaptic, installed it, and haven't had the chance to try it yet. I may not succeed because the OS is now suffering with the broken OS update database, which I haven't been able to cure. It may take a new installation to fix that problem. The error that you see in the title above, is generated when I try to start or setup the wireless card. The command shown on the Internet (one of a few), is "refkill unblock all". This releases the software and the hardware switch to allow the wireless RF to turn on and connect with the data stream. Both the wireless mechanical switch and the software command have to be in agreement or the wireless will not work. But if the card is broken, well, I'm toast! That computer model is obsolete now, and parts are not available.I've got another machine that won't network. It got hit by lightning, and both wireless and eth0 were wiped out. That model is also obsolete. No parts replacements are available.

Both the wireless mechanical switch and the software command have to be in agreement or the wireless will not work. But if the card is broken, well, I'm toast! That computer model is obsolete now, and parts are not available..
Sure, both switches have to be on. But the only one YOU should have to be worried about is the mechanical switch. And it only has two choices. On or off. With the switch in either position, boot the box with a LiveCD and then click the network icon on the task bar. If no wifi connections are available, turn the computer off, put the switch in the other position and turn it back on. If neither way works, you've probably have a bad card. But the dongle should still work. Also, replacing a bad wifi card in a laptop is no big deal. Your laptop is new enough to have a 64bit cpu so finding a replacement wifi card on eBay should be a cinch. The card is normally held in by two clips, just like a memory module. Then there are the two antenna wires that plug in. No soldering involved. BTW, what is the model number of the laptop? And what LiveCD are you using? With that info I could give you detailed diagnostic instructions. You must have some access to the net 'cause you are posting here, so would recommend you dl the latest Puppy Linux and burn it to a CD. It should handle just about any laptop wifi or wifi dongle out there. Edited by lewmur

Sure, both switches have to be on. But the only one YOU should have to be worried about is the mechanical switch. And it only has two choices. On or off. With the switch in either position, boot the box with a LiveCD and then click the network icon on the task bar. If no wifi connections are available, turn the computer off, put the switch in the other position and turn it back on. If neither way works, you've probably have a bad card. But the dongle should still work. Also, replacing a bad wifi card in a laptop is no big deal. Your laptop is new enough to have a 64bit cpu so finding a replacement wifi card on eBay should be a cinch. The card is normally held in by two clips, just like a memory module. Then there are the two antenna wires that plug in. No soldering involved. BTW, what is the model number of the laptop? And what LiveCD are you using? With that info I could give you detailed diagnostic instructions. You must have some access to the net 'cause you are posting here, so would recommend you dl the latest Puppy Linux and burn it to a CD. It should handle just about any laptop wifi or wifi dongle out there.
Hi, The model # is HP dv6700, 64bit, 3GB ram, AMD Turion mobile cpu, NVIDIA, Atheros (ath5k bg) card. I've tried several versions of Live Linux, but there's always the ram-size limitation, and limited downloads that can be accomplished. Also I've encountered other limitations with Live distros. It's just like banging one's head against a brick wall!As far as the USB wireless dongle, it was not the least recognized either in Linux or Windows. According to the write-up, it says that is is compatible with either Windows, or Linux. It only cost me $1.00 plus $7.00 shipping. It was a prayer into the wind. I don't think that the dongle is all self contained. It more than likely depends on some of the internal mother board's structures to be able to operate. On the Internet, there are Linux, Win, and Mac drivers available. The internal drivers don't work. 2/3 of my laptops are currently down.

securitybreach
Hi, The model # is HP dv6700, 64bit, 3GB ram, AMD Turion mobile cpu, NVIDIA, Atheros (ath5k bg) card. I've tried several versions of Live Linux, but there's always the ram-size limitation, and limited downloads that can be accomplished. Also I've encountered other limitations with Live distros. It's just like banging one's head against a brick wall!As far as the USB wireless dongle, it was not the least recognized either in Linux or Windows. According to the write-up, it says that is is compatible with either Windows, or Linux. It only cost me $1.00 plus $7.00 shipping. It was a prayer into the wind. I don't think that the dongle is all self contained. It more than likely depends on some of the internal mother board's structures to be able to operate. On the Internet, there are Linux, Win, and Mac drivers available. The internal drivers don't work. 2/3 of my laptops are currently down.
Well Archlinux supports that chipset https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_Setup#ath5kMay be worth looking into

This brain wrapper keeps me thinking about the WakeOnLan function which the network cards have.IIRC when this function was NOT enabled and you used Windows and linux on one machine, after a shut down or a reboot from within Windows the card would be disabled, period. No matter what linux distro you tried to boot afterwards, no one was able to use the card.Enabling the WakeOnLan function of the card from within Windows solved that problem. :rolleyes: I've seen it happen only once on a clients machine in all those years I was using both OS's, I myself never used Wlan, except for troubleshooting for the forums.

My Dell lappy has similar specs... AMD Turion64, 2Gig RAM, 120GB hd, etc. Slackware and Win 7 both run fine on it. Wireless was problematic for me in Slackware, but I finally resolved it. The entire thread was pretty interesting, but here is what finally fixed it for me --> http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...st&p=308063Might give you some hints, onederer.
I wish I could have found a hint like that, but no such luck. I'm still left out in the breeze.It's been many days and nights that I've been at it. Kinda run out of ideas.

Well Archlinux supports that chipset https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_Setup#ath5kMay be worth looking into
There might be something there, but my weary head cannot soak up all that information. I'm not sure what to pick out of that information. What's already in the kernel, and what's needed externally? I never worked with madwifi. It's always been the standard gui manager, or if in trouble, been using wicd. The only thing this time, that's failed.Cheers!

This brain wrapper keeps me thinking about the WakeOnLan function which the network cards have.IIRC when this function was NOT enabled and you used Windows and linux on one machine, after a shut down or a reboot from within Windows the card would be disabled, period. No matter what linux distro you tried to boot afterwards, no one was able to use the card.Enabling the WakeOnLan function of the card from within Windows solved that problem. :rolleyes: I've seen it happen only once on a clients machine in all those years I was using both OS's, I myself never used Wlan, except for troubleshooting for the forums.
That's a good piece of information. I'll have to try that once I get Win** setup and finally running with the wired and wireless networking. I also have a problem with that OS. Right now, that machine is a rock. Win is broken, and USB connected PCLOS is sick with the update database being corrupt and useless, and not repairable (with the knowledge that I posess). I've currently have a lot on my plate, and few tools to handle it.Thanks for the information!

That's a good piece of information. I'll have to try that once I get Win** setup and finally running with the wired and wireless networking. I also have a problem with that OS. Right now, that machine is a rock. Win is broken, and USB connected PCLOS is sick with the update database being corrupt and useless, and not repairable (with the knowledge that I posess). I've currently have a lot on my plate, and few tools to handle it.Thanks for the information!
Here is a replacement for your wifi card for under $10.

I used to have an HP dv6000 series laptop and I worked on several dv6000's and dv9000's for customers. There was a problem with the way the thermal fan controller was programmed to work and lots of hardware failures due to the resulting heat. Everything from wifi card to onboard video to full motherboard failure.Mine had a wifi card failure and when I put in a OEM replacement it did not fix it. Turned out the problem was at the connection point on the motherboard. Solution was to replace the motherboard, no one wanted to solder a new component for me. (I did not know V.T.Eric Layton then, he would have tried it.)The other thing that struck me, reading thru this thread, no one has mentioned the on/off option for wireless nic in the BIOS. It's not likely, but it's worth checking.

V.T. Eric Layton

Heh! Speaking of on/off option... my Dell uses and actual switch on the side of the unit. Always check the simple stuff first. :w00t:

I used to have an HP dv6000 series laptop and I worked on several dv6000's and dv9000's for customers. There was a problem with the way the thermal fan controller was programmed to work and lots of hardware failures due to the resulting heat. Everything from wifi card to onboard video to full motherboard failure.Mine had a wifi card failure and when I put in a OEM replacement it did not fix it. Turned out the problem was at the connection point on the motherboard. Solution was to replace the motherboard, no one wanted to solder a new component for me. (I did not know V.T.Eric Layton then, he would have tried it.)The other thing that struck me, reading thru this thread, no one has mentioned the on/off option for wireless nic in the BIOS. It's not likely, but it's worth checking.
You should have still been able to use a USB wireless dongle. Why is it HP seems to have so much trouble with overheating? I can see having a single model or so that has problems. But HP seems to have a bunch of models with overheating.

I HIGHLY recommend the Alpha Network USB wifi dongel Josh recommended it to me and I now have 2 of them. This one is AWESOME and has worked OotB on every OS I have installed. It has great range and the one above even comes with a 9db antenna. You will be amazed at how many networks pop up.Like I said, just my recommendation from putting this one through the paces. ;)All the best,Ian

Edited by ichase

securitybreach
I HIGHLY recommend the Alpha Network USB wifi dongel Josh recommended it to me and I now have 2 of them. This one is AWESOME and has worked OotB on every OS I have installed. It has great range and the one above even comes with a 9db antenna. You will be amazed at how many networks pop up.Like I said, just my recommendation from putting this one through the paces. ;)All the best,Ian
:w00t:

You should have still been able to use a USB wireless dongle. Why is it HP seems to have so much trouble with overheating? I can see having a single model or so that has problems. But HP seems to have a bunch of models with overheating.
When I had mine with overheating problems I found out that they underpower the cooling fan.When I pinned the warranty folks down on it they told me why.After many consumer surveys they found people preferred quite laptops to noisy ones. So, they slowed the fan down to quiet it. There is an updated BIOS which fixes the problem, but most customers don't update BIOS.

Here's an update on the absent and not yet fixed networking problem.After a lot of trouble shooting, I found a reason why the OS won't connect with the wireless.MICROSOFT REPORTS: Windows cannot connect to the "hidden" SSID network.This kind of tells me that I would have to run my wireless access point's in the unsecure clear mode. And there's no garantee that this would be the end of the broken networking problems.Anyone got ideas about that? That's not normal is it? I've always ran secure with the SSID supressed. I tried to access the wireless access points, via the wired coax. No deal! Don't know why. I was able to ping them. I was going to unhide the SSID on them just to see if that would cure the problem. But now, it's too late, and I need some sleep.Cheers!

securitybreach
Here's an update on the absent and not yet fixed networking problem.After a lot of trouble shooting, I found a reason why the OS won't connect with the wireless.MICROSOFT REPORTS: Windows cannot connect to the "hidden" SSID network.This kind of tells me that I would have to run my wireless access point's in the unsecure clear mode. And there's no garantee that this would be the end of the broken networking problems.Anyone got ideas about that? That's not normal is it? I've always ran secure with the SSID supressed. I tried to access the wireless access points, via the wired coax. No deal! Don't know why. I was able to ping them. I was going to unhide the SSID on them just to see if that would cure the problem. But now, it's too late, and I need some sleep.Cheers!
Well whenever you connect, does it show up under Linux? The reason I ask is because most of the time you have to select 'hidden network' and type the name of the network. If it is showing up in you network list, then it is not hidden.

When I had mine with overheating problems I found out that they underpower the cooling fan.When I pinned the warranty folks down on it they told me why.After many consumer surveys they found people preferred quite laptops to noisy ones. So, they slowed the fan down to quiet it. There is an updated BIOS which fixes the problem, but most customers don't update BIOS.
Yes, I have a cooling problem with my machine. Never thought of updating the Bios! Anyway, the wireless is working, somewhat! I ran an access point that didn't have a hidden SSID, and no security HEX KEY. It's working, but that broke my network. Instead of "readyaim" for an SSID, it uses "LINKSYS". That doesn't coordinate with the rest of the network. I assume that the only protection that I will have now is to depend on a firewall, and antivirus program.What I did was to disable both access points, and tried it. Nothing! Then I turned on an access point that I wasn't using, and finally got the networking running! I then went to the other laptop, and tried networking, to see if it would access the unsecured access point. It couldn't. It used the one sitting on top of the router. I plugged in that AP, and went back to the bedroom, and that machine was also networking and accessing the Internet. So each one of those laptops are using a different AP.But my concern is that the way it works now breaks my formerly secure network! That makes me nervous. I'm also glad to see that I didn't need a new wireless networking board. Also, for whatever reason, I can't access the AP's using a browser. It looks like I'll have to take it off the network and use a coax from them to the computer. However, I can ping all of them.So now, the picture had changed, it's not only to find why that machine will not work wireless with a secure AP, but dig deeper to the network to find what can be done to remedy the vulnirable position of the network.I want to thank you all for your fine suggestions. And now, I think that it's time to toot my horn! I figured out a problem the a handful of Pros. couldn't. I did present to them the clue that the OS can't work with a "hidden" SSID network. They just ignored it.Thank you all for your help!Cheers!

securitybreach
I want to thank you all for your fine suggestions. And now, I think that it's time to toot my horn! I figured out a problem the a handful of Pros. couldn't. I did present to them the clue that the OS can't work with a "hidden" SSID network. They just ignored it.Thank you all for your help!Cheers!
Well I have my network hidden and I can connect on all of my devices. So maybe it is not the OS or maybe it could be the distro you are using?

Well I have my network hidden and I can connect on all of my devices. So maybe it is not the OS or maybe it could be the distro you are using?
I'd say that's probably a combination of both, the OS and the machine. To be continued .....I tried several AP's, and this time they didn't want to work, nor allow me to get into them ( did not want to reset them to factory specs.). Finally, an ex wireless router that was hit by lightning, I got in and made a few minor changes. Then this laptop started using it. Problem, there is no security key in that old wireless router. Because it's wireless it does make the network vulnerable. The wireless WAN port that normally goes to the modem is toast. I'm using the other four LAN ports as switches.Cheers!