Linux & NFTS

kamicota

Hi Et-alsIs there a distro that CAN READ NFTS PartitionsDon't know why but my Program Install Partition in XP would Only format NFTS and others are Fat32So consequently I have been able to read it with eirher PCLOS, Suse 9.3 or Mandriva 2006(free)Preparing to burn and install Suse 10.1 Alpha4 but don't know if that one canSo it is fingers crossed right now :thumbsup: Cheers for Yearscolin :thumbsup:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kamicota

• Bruno

• teacher

• burninbush

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding is that they can all read it, I believe there is a one that is supposed to be able to write to it as well but can't remember which one.

Well RolanajNot ONE OF MY LINUX distros are reading my "L" partition on the desktop so have not been able to write to it eitherBut I sort of found out why it would only allow me NTFS when formatting with XP and OOPS :thumbsup: silly moi had partitioned it at 34.1G and XP can only format NTFS with anything over 32GAt least we are making progress :hmm: Cheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

Hi Colin,All distros can read NTFS partitions . . . . so the choice is really yours what distro you want to use for it. :DB) Bruno

Well BrunoThe GREMLINS :devil: :icon8: must working on my desktop as none of the three distros allow me to read let alone write to the NTFS partition which is a 34.1G (OOPS :hysterical: ) partition and wether or not this alters the drive letters in Linux I just don't knowBut we WILL :P Motor onCheers for Yearscolin :ermm:

Thanks GaryNeither PCLOS, Suse 9.3 or mandriva 2006(free) will see or read my NTFS partition on the Desktop.I have copied all my installed programs over to another Partition and may just have to format it fat32 with PCLOS or Suse and then Move the Program Installs back just to get all Linux's to read itCheers for YearsColin

Hi ColinI think you do need some help here . . . because you should be able to access your XPO partition from ALL of those distros !So please boot Mandriva 2006 and tell me when you are ready ;):devil: Bruno

Bruno :hysterical: :icon8: :ermm: I can NOT boot into ANY Linux Distro except PCLos LIVE CDAfter My install of Suse 10.1 in place of mandriva and then the deleting and formatting of the new 10.1 partition I am left with a grub error 17 on boot upSo I am in PCLOS liveCheers for yearscolin :devil:

Good lord !! . . . What did you do to your system ?? :DWell I guess we can do it from the LIve CD to but it does not make much sense . . . does it ?I think you better start reinstalling the distro that gave you the lilo you multibooted from.:devil: Bruno

Good lord !! . . . What did you do to your system ?? :DWell I guess we can do it from the Live CD to but it does not make much sense . . . does it ?I think you better start reinstalling the distro that gave you the lilo you multibooted from. Or do you have a Mandriva 2006 rescue CD ?? . . Because in that case things are easy to restore.:devil: Bruno

BrunoDon't think Mandriva can be restored as I only have the install cd's and the same with PCLOS live So maybe it is time to reformat and restall PCLOS again or does it give me a restore from the Live cdAs you can see I am a LITTLE :devil: bewildered here againCheers for yearscolin

Nope there is no restore from the Live CD Colin . . . . . and if Grub is in the MBR you will even not be able to get the PCLos lilo in the MBR when you reinstall PCLos.The only thing you can do is install Mandriva first, put the Mandriva lilo in the MBR and next install PCLos and put the PCLos lilo in the / partition of PCLos !Then if you still want to experiment with SUSE ( If I were you I would not do SuSE betas ) you have to tell it to either put grub in the / partiton of SuSE or on a floppy . . . ( Did you know you can force SuSe to use Lilo instead of grub ?? ):devil: Bruno

For Mandriva: You just assign the partition during the install and the installer will automatically format it for you.For PCLos: You use the Parition tool in Mandriva to "pre-format" the partition for PCLos and then reboot to the PCLos CD for the install. :devil: Bruno

Righty Ho BrunoI guess Mandriva is going back into the empty??? hdb9 = it's origional partitionI suppose it is mandriva's INSTALL first and then after installed re do PCLOs partitionCheers for yearsColin :thumbsup:

Sure I have ideas . . . put the SuSE bootloader on a floppy . . or on the SuSE / partition ( no matter if it is Lilo or Grub )BUT please do make a Mandriva boot CD as soon as Mandriva is installed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup: Bruno

Yep BrunoWILL make Mandriva BOOT cd just need the code for thatAs for Suse will have to see if Mandrake sees it I suppose after the installRight NOW Mandriva is on it's way to hdb9Cheers for yearsAND :thumbsup: againcolin maybe a MAC possibility with all problems I cause :thumbsup: :hysterical: :hysterical:

As for Suse will have to see if Mandrake sees it I suppose after the install
Sure . . why wouldn't it ????I will help you with the boot CD . . just tell me when you are ready for it.:thumbsup: Bruno

Righty Ho BrunoSo I suppose Mandriva will NOT see PCLOs as Mandriva boot loader is going into the MBRCheers for YearscolinAt ANOTHER OOPSChoosing X server it shows uniceome bu I doin't know about thatColin :thumbsup:

Righty Ho BrunoWe have Mandriva installed (updates later)It does not see PCLOs or Suse as yet BUT does see WindowsAnd the screen disply although set at 1280x1024 is only 3/4 screenCheers for yearsColin :thumbsup:

I guess Mandriva is going back into the empty??? hdb9 = it's origional partitionI suppose it is mandriva's INSTALL first and then after installed re do PCLOs partition
Groan ... folks, it surely is not true that yet another reinstall is the only good answer to linux booting problems. Colin, all those other distros are still there, just as you left them; all it takes to explain your situation is the one failure of Suse to properly install grub to the mbr. Installing to the mbr is INHERENTLY dangerous -- live and learn. If you tell the install script to use the partition root instead, then whatever you booted with before will still boot after your latest install -- and then you can add your latest install to the previous menu. Re your current problem -- if you haven't already overwritten something, then I believe that the 1st install cd of the Suse set will let you boot into that installed distro, from which you could try again [run Yast] to fix your mbr. That should be your first move. Otherwise, you surely have onhand a live cd that uses grub to boot -- any recent Mepis or Kanotix will do. Bring that up, just to get grub running, use it in 'command' mode to boot any of your previously working distros -- including the new Suse install. Assuming you have a Mepis cd, boot with it, and when the first screen comes up, enter a 'c' to get the command mode up. [if booted with Kanotix live, hit Escape] Then, tell grub where your suse install is located ... grub> configfile (hd0,8)/boot/grub/menu.lst [where "(hd0,8)" means first hd, 9th part, substitute whatever is correct for your install] ... and then you will see the menu that you would have seen had your Suse install gone correctly.Now, a distro that uses lilo to boot obviously won't have a /boot/grub/menu.lst -- so in that case you can use grub's 'root', 'kernel', and 'initrd' commands to manually guide grub to boot one of your installs that you previously booted only with lilo -- PCL or Mandriva, for example, from which you could restore your previous mbr. This is a perfect situation where a saved /restored copy of your disk's mbr would have saved the day.

It does not see PCLOs or Suse as yet BUT does see Windows
Sure . . because they are not installed yet :thumbsup:
And the screen disply although set at 1280x1024 is only 3/4 screen
???? . . . is this a desktop or a laptop ?? CRT or TFT ??:hysterical: Bruno

BrunoWe are on the desktop with a YFT Samsubg monitorBurninbush - a quickie for now - YES seems like Suse 10.1 Grub to the MBRCheers for yearsColin :thumbsup: Et-als

Hi ColinPlease open the MCC --> Hardware --> Configure your monitor . . . something must have been mis-detected during install, run the wizard and reboot.Also do the MCC --> Hardware --> Look and configure hardware --> Graphic card --> run the config toolHi BurningbushPlease don't confuse Colin anymore then strictly needed :thumbsup: :hysterical: Bruno

BrunoIf memory serves me right I had to do this on the last Mandriva installAll I have to do is find which Samsung it is Cheers for YearsColin

Password:[root@localhost kamicota]# ls -al /boottotal 3084drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jan 11 12:47 ./drwxr-xr-x 19 root adm 4096 Jan 11 12:47 ../-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 512 Jan 11 07:03 boot.0300lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Jan 11 12:47 config -> config-2.6.12-12mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 71299 Sep 9 12:16 config-2.6.12-12mdkdrwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 11 06:54 grub/-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 184484 Jan 11 07:03 initrd-2.6.12-12mdk.imglrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 Jan 11 07:03 initrd.img -> initrd-2.6.12-12mdk.imglrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 Jan 11 12:47 kernel.h -> /boot/kernel.h-2.6.12-12mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 695 Jan 11 12:15 kernel.h-2.6.12-12mdk-rw------- 1 root root 331776 Jan 11 07:03 maplrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Jan 11 07:03 message -> message-graphic-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 254766 Jan 11 07:03 message-graphic-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 116 Jan 11 07:03 message-textlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 Jan 11 12:15 System.map -> System.map-2.6.12-12mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 639316 Sep 9 12:16 System.map-2.6.12-12mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 256 Jan 11 07:03 us.kltlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Jan 11 07:03 vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.6.12-12mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1608520 Sep 9 12:16 vmlinuz-2.6.12-12mdk[root@localhost kamicota]# Colin :thumbsup: