I need a substitute for Dropbox (Windows XP)

Webb

I've been using Dropbox on Windows XP for a while. It can be a huge pain to set up and they update it every couple of months, necessitating a new setup, it works pretty well after that.

I've just gotten a message from Dropbox telling me they are ending support for XP in August, leaving with the choice of "upgrading" to Vista or dumping Dropbox.

If you are not familiar with Dropbox it stores your files in the cloud and allows you to upload and download and synchronize them with other computers. When you upload files it only changes the latest files.

So, any ideas?

V.T. Eric Layton

Yes, I have one... get rid of Win XP. You must realize by now that XP is no longer supported by MS or any other software providers. It is a MAJOR security risk to even have it on one of your systems that has access to the Internet, but you know this. Right?

• Like 1

inbox.com gives you 5GB for free if you sign up for there Email service, although I'm guessing that's not enough. (Also, theres a maximum size for a single upload)

I've been using Dropbox on Windows XP for a while. It can be a huge pain to set up and they update it every couple of months, necessitating a new setup, it works pretty well after that.

I've just gotten a message from Dropbox telling me they are ending support for XP in August, leaving with the choice of "upgrading" to Vista or dumping Dropbox.

If you are not familiar with Dropbox it stores your files in the cloud and allows you to upload and download and synchronize them with other computers. When you upload files it only changes the latest files.

So, any ideas?

MediaFire might still work but I can't guarantee it. Let's face it, nobody will officially support anything for XP.

Inbox and MediaFire only storage. I can get that with Google drive or with my existing inbox.com account. I'm looking for something that will synchronize files.

Thanks.

Box looks good but they won't tell you anything about it until you sign up for it. I'm going to look into it a little more.

Spideroak is $12/month. That's a little pricey just to sync 10-15 files.

iCloud requires Windows 7 or higher.

Guest LilBambi

Box works great and acts very much like Dropbox and you get a somewhere like Dropbox on the free amount. I think I have 10GB. I have never had to pay for it for the few files I keep in there.

SpiderOak is encrypted and syncs as well but based on Java last time I looked at it. They used to give you a couple gigs.

iCloud is infamous for uploads stalling for days, weeks, forever, or until you give up. When uploading large numbers of files in multiple directories it is hard to figure out which file(s) are stuck. I upload in small (single directory) batches so I can more easily find the problem file(s) and restart or redo them.

Guest LilBambi

I will probably go with sync.com.

Interesting choice. Didn't do a full search for it but appears to be a choice chosen by many leaving Dropbox.