Explorer crash

ibe98765

Ever see this error? AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106 ModName: comctl32.dll ModVer: 6.0.2800.1106 Offset: 00079c19 Nothing useful in the KB that I could find. Got this yesterday on my PC. Running XP SP1. Walked away from it for a few minutes. Came back and saw this error on screen. When I closed the error box, my screen went to solid blue with no icons. I rebooted. Came back into XP and found that all my personalized settings had been lost! I was back to the eye candy XP default look. Maybe if MS spent more time on the internals instead of the externals, Windows would be a better product! Looked at doing a restore but the last checkpoint was too old, sigh. Even though I have a lot of settings backed up as registry exports, it still took me about 5 hours to reconfigure everything including Outlook...

SonicDragon

explorer has been crashing on me consistantly when i have the new Windows Media Player as a minimized tool bar on the start bar.IDK if you have the new one, but there is a setting if you right click on the start bar>Tool Bars>Windows Media Player. See if that's unchecked. If you don't have the new version, the Windows Media Player option won't be there at all. When will Microsoft ever get WMP right?Never? that's what i thought. lol.

Guest ThunderRiver

Check with your event viewer and post the detail error message pleaseGo to Start => Run => eventvwrGo to System section and see if you could find anything useful.

When you have .DLL error messages like this about half the time the error itself isn't as important as you might think. It usually means you've got some sort of .DLL compatibility problem, usually applications. The ironic thing is that half the time it's between two new pieces of Microsoft code, such as Windows Media Player 9.x and Windows XP SP1 (don't know that to be the case here, but it sounds plausible).I can't really help you with your problem, sorry to say. But I can give you a strategy for avoiding future problems. Don't install a lot of new code on your system. Hang back on Winows service packs. Stay completely away from betas. Programs like Winows Media Player, known to be rife with problems with almost every new version, skip it, or stick with something that's been on your disk for a while. There's rarely any significant upgrade with any of these brand new releases of software.I do install most critical security updates under Windows XP. I've had very good luck doing so with XP (although not everyone can match my experience). But Service Packs? I installed SP1 on my production PC because I write about this stuff and that's the best way for me to encounter problems. I didn't encounter any, but a lot of people have. Most of the rest of the 18 PCs here don't have SP1 on them. Why? Because they really don't need it.And that's the next point: If it ain't broke, and it's working ok, don't fix it!I know it's tough to resist being part of the crew that tests the latest batch of code to hit the streets. Sometimes I can't resist myself. But if you want a cleaner, more reliable, faster PC, be stingy about what you install.Sorry it's no a quick fix. I'd like to think it's very good advice though. B) -- Scot

;) B) Hmm, how about memory being the bad guy here........system mem.And yeah do check the events log, u might get a clue of what the actual reasonSecond why not file this error to Microsoft Crash Analysis, may be they could help,enabling the error repoting might help too, and i havent tried Dr Watson for a long longHmm, how about memory being the bad guy here........system mem.And yeah do check the events log, u might get a clue of what the actual reasonSecond why not file this error to Microsoft Crash Analysis, may be they could help,enabling the error repoting might help too, and i havent tried Dr Watson for a long longtime, but u can use that......use that to collect the crash data too.Yeah Scots is right,keep yur pc as lean as possible, that inculdes, triming the fat from registery,defragging etc etc..........................using best practices.........ask scot for those kinds of tips <_< .

Check with your event viewer and post the detail error message pleaseGo to Start => Run => eventvwrGo to System section and see if you could find anything useful.
I had my event log set to 64k size and it over wrote any data that there was from the event. I've increased the size to 128k now. At least I have error reporting turned on, so the bug did go to Microsoft before I had to reboot. Maybe they actually look at the error reports... :blink: The problem hasn't reoccurred in the last week, so fingers crossed that it was just the usual Microsoft Windows gremllins at work.