• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• securitybreach

• ross549

• Peachy

• amenditman

http://www.forbes.com/sites/briancaulfield...hp-kills-webos/
WebOS is dead, at least for now.HP said Thursday killing the webOS business it picked up with the acquisiton of Palm last April. It’s a sudden turn for the mobile software HP had placed at the center of its consumer business just a few months ago.
The actual release: http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2011/110818b.html
In addition, HP reported that it plans to announce that it will discontinue operations for webOS devices, specifically the TouchPad and webOS phones. HP will continue to explore options to optimize the value of webOS software going forward.

V.T. Eric Layton

So, a for-profit company is dropping a losing product from their line. What's wrong with that? You can't expect them to continue to support something that will lose them money, can you?

Guest LilBambi

Moving this to Mobility - I did leave a link in Hardware since it can actually fit in both categories to some extent.Very sad that WebOS and the Tablet is doing to the way of the Dodo. Hard to believe they are discontinuing something they just released in 2010. But in this economy....Personally, I think they miscalculated with the Tablet pricing and with expectations with Apple and what they are doing on the patent litigation crap.It's so sad that they buy WebOS from Palm and then basically ditch it....

Guest LilBambi

BTW: I haven't recommended that people buy an HP Printer for some time now. The cartridge prices are outrageous and their quality on their printers has gone the way of the dodo too as well as their drivers being pretty crappy and huge these days and not always working right on high end Win7 computers with Ultimate.Some folks have moved back to Canon but most have moved on to Epson (mostly to their Workforce Wireless ones which work great in all OSes).This fiasco was nearly as bad as Dell's DataSafe fiasco.

Guest LilBambi

Very sad.... they gobble it up from Palm and then just within the last year bring out a Tablet, and now this...It's not just WebOS but the Tablet that's at issue too.(steeler_fan edit: I merged two topics, the link above may be confusing <_ great ... thought about that too but had to go and figured i leave it you guys if wanted merge. thanks neil. bambi>

It's not just tablets. Rumour has it that HP is also in the thick of selling off their PC division. There is speculation that HP is going to concentrate on software and the Cloud.

Guest LilBambi

Could be Peachy. Especially if they don't want Apple and Microsoft being the two hardware/OS combos...But can they after the Motorola deal?

This news really saddens me. I think webOS was the only real competitor to iOS. Android is OK (in my opinion), but webOS was slicker, smoother, and just seemed to be really well built.My wife was seriously considering a Pre phone. It would have probably been the pre 3. She even liked the Veer.For the Android fans, I know that Android is picking up the pace in a big way. I simply don't think it is as polished as iOS or webOS.Adam

Guest LilBambi

I agree Adam. Palm really had something going there. And it's really come a long way on HP too. Sad that they are doing this. No one will trust HP again after this...at least for a lot of years I think.

Guest LilBambi

And the thing that really ticks me off is that HP has turned on their own customers, not because they are just belly tucking due to the economy, but because they want to go in a totally different direction by buying Autonomy.HP Confirms Cutting PC, webOS Businesses, Autonomy AcquisitionI would suggest that they open up WebOS ... make it open source, it would be a worthy peace offering.

That would be fantastic... it is already well polished.Although, I think they would have to be careful... keep things a bit tighter than it is on Android.;)Adam

:thumbsup:A girl can dream...
That's a big dream.After they try to spin it off as a stand alone, and can't.After they try to find a buyer for it, and can't.Then maybe.HP has always been mostly focused on their enterprise customers and markets. The consumer arm has always been kind of a take it or leave it proposition for the customer. Edited by amenditman

Well, according to Gruber, we should have seen this coming:

HP acquired Palm at the end of April 2010, for $1.2 billion. HP’s CEO was Mark Hurd.Three months later, in early August, Mark Hurd was forced to resign over that scandal with forged expenses and lies about his lady friend.HP then named Léo Apotheker president and CEO on 30 September 2010.The thing is, Apotheker’s relevant experience was serving as CEO of SAP. What’s SAP? SAP is an enterprise software and consulting company. Honestly, we all should have seen this coming. You don’t bring in an enterprise consulting guy to turn around a PC and device maker. You bring in an enterprise consulting guy to turn a PC and device maker into an enterprise consulting company.
http://daringfireball.net/2011/08/hp_apotheker

Guest LilBambi

HP has always been able to juggle both.Tell me again, why we (Consumers) should think they (HP) would ditch us in single swoop with no 'real' warning? Sounds more like a guillotine "let them eat cake" maneuver to me.Hindsight is always 20/20.

HP has always been able to juggle both.Tell me again, why we (Consumers) should think they (HP) would ditch us in single swoop with no 'real' warning? Sounds more like a guillotine "let them eat cake" maneuver to me.Hindsight is always 20/20.
I agree that they are making a big mistake.I just bought a TouchPad when they dropped the price to $99/$149 from $499/$599. The hardware is easily opened for development purposes, H/Palm has done that on purpose to encourage community participation. All the GPL'd parts of the Linux stack are available on the website. There is a large "Homebrew" community involved in expanding/improving the software with the cooperation of company engineers. And like the Palm of old, the interface is genius.This sell-off will actually increase the market penetration of WebOS, whether HP wants to drop it or not. If I get the opportunity, I will pick up another one for $99 to hack on with the Android conversion crew.

securitybreach
I agree that they are making a big mistake.I just bought a TouchPad when they dropped the price to $99/$149 from $499/$599. The hardware is easily opened for development purposes, H/Palm has done that on purpose to encourage community participation. All the GPL'd parts of the Linux stack are available on the website. There is a large "Homebrew" community involved in expanding/improving the software with the cooperation of company engineers. And like the Palm of old, the interface is genius.This sell-off will actually increase the market penetration of WebOS, whether HP wants to drop it or not. If I get the opportunity, I will pick up another one for $99 to hack on with the Android conversion crew.
Very nice!! You will have to give us a review sometimes after you have had time to fully play around with the device ;)

Right now I'm just using it stock.This afternoon after I give it the first full battery cycle I will be booting into developer mode, amazingly simple after playing with my Motorola Atrix (android).Once I am in developer mode, I will be installing Preware, a Homebrew project that allows me to install any of the kernel mods and apps the community has developed.

Getting it to order off the site was a nightmare. The site was slammed, and doing it on my iPhone was even harder. I was at church at the time, and the phone was the only way I could get online. I have two charges on my credit card, though... one for a dollar, and another for the 160.00. Hmmmmm...... I may end up with two! LOLAdam

securitybreach
Getting it to order off the site was a nightmare. The site was slammed, and doing it on my iPhone was even harder. I was at church at the time, and the phone was the only way I could get online. I have two charges on my credit card, though... one for a dollar, and another for the 160.00. Hmmmmm...... I may end up with two! LOLAdam
I doubt you will get two but if you do, I will take the second one :lol:

Guest LilBambi

Knew that would happen since there is an Android version. That's great! Certainly gonna be needed as WebOS ages and security becomes an issue with likely no fixes for those issues...yeah, it'll happen. Always does.

securitybreach
Knew that would happen since there is an Android version. That's great! Certainly gonna be needed as WebOS ages and security becomes an issue with likely no fixes for those issues...yeah, it'll happen. Always does.
Android version? I did not think they had anything yet considering they have a $500 bounty for someone to port Android to the device http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1229642