Authentication failure

réjean

Hi everyone!

It feels like going back to school but in preschool. Here is my problem; I had to reinstall Ubuntu 16.04. First trial I didn't format my /home partition and it didn't work well so I reinstalled again. This time it is working ( I am posting from it ) but whenever I try to change something and I'm asked for my password I get an Authentication failure message. I rebooted this time in System Recovery and changed my password for the one I'm used too and was told that the password wasn't changed. I assumed there was nothing wrong. I rebooted and I still get an Authentication failure message.

Any hint anyone?

securitybreach

Well you can still use su but you have to do sudo su to actually become root versus just using elevated privileges with sudo.

So you booted into "system recovery" and ran sudo passwd or sudo su and then passwd?

Yes I did sudo passwd in "system recovery"

Not 100% clear on your issue, but wondering if you're accessing root functions with 'su' (like Debian) or 'sudo'. Ubuntu doesn't like 'su', so if that's what you're doing, that would be a likely culprit. See if this helps:

http://askubuntu.com...-user-privilege

The reason I went into System Recovery is this;

To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".
See "man sudo_root" for details.

rejean@rejean-G41MT-S2PT:~$ sudo passwd
[sudo] password for rejean:
Sorry, try again.
Sorry, try again.

Maybe I'll return into System Recovery and choose a new password and se if it fixes the problem.

Doesn't work! After i enter a new password I get a;

passwd: Authentication token manipulation error
passwd: password unchanged
root@rejean=.....:~#

P.S. Not sure I should post my machine name online.

Edited by réjean
  • Like 1

Hedon James

I'm guessing your reinstallation is the problem here. Google suggests that the "authentication token" error is related to incorrect permissions for the / root partition. Is any of this useful?

http://askubuntu.com/questions/57620/getting-an-authentication-token-manipulation-error-when-trying-to-change-my-us

Even if you get it mounted with correct permissions, I'm wondering what other issues may be lurking below the surface? If it was me, I think I'd give serious consideration to wiping out the partitions and reinstallation from scratch.

• Like 1

I'm guessing your reinstallation is the problem here. Google suggests that the "authentication token" error is related to incorrect permissions for the / root partition. Is any of this useful?

http://askubuntu.com...to-change-my-us

Even if you get it mounted with correct permissions, I'm wondering what other issues may be lurking below the surface? If it was me, I think I'd give serious consideration to wiping out the partitions and reinstallation from scratch.

I guess that's what I will do.

• Like 1

Hedon James

I'd probably try to mount and change permissions first, just to work on skillz and see if it fixes it. But at the very first sign of ANY other troubles, I'd reinstall. It's a fresh installation right? So there's not a whole lot of customization to be lost... JMO...

• Like 1

I'll be watching to see how this comes out for you Rejean. I'm just remembering how many years I went installing versions of openSuSE and never touching my home partition during the installs, just choosing the customized options and mounting my existing /home. I never expected problems and never had any.

• Like 2