anyone here remember this?

saturnian

Hi Saturnian.....thanks for the link. I'm not sure if I've seen it. Bookmarked! Some of the tips are things I'll never use....but there's still a wealth of info there for guys like me to peruse. I could have used this link back when I first heard about Linux.... LoaF......Tomsrtbt....Coyote Linux..... I didn't have problems burning them to a floppy and booting up, I just didn't know what the heck I created! Where do I go from here?? What do I do next?? I had hosed Win95 when I first became computer curious and replaced it with dos. Then I found BasicLinux http://distro.ibiblio.org/baslinux/ and booted it with Loadlin..... I learned a lot from that group....and they're still around....Baby steps for me but I never considered giving it up and returning to Windows full time. I don't know if the tips from brunoslinux were available back then but I sure could have used 'em! Thanks again for posting the link!

• Like 2

securitybreach

Yeah, that is Bruno Knaapen's old site. He was a Linux mentor to a lot of us and that is one of the reasons this forum was renamed in honor of him. He will always be dearly missed!!

That is also where this forum post came from Tips for Linux Explorers

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

That is also where this forum post came from Tips for Linux Explorers

Sadly, a few years back when new forum software was installed here, all the formatting on those Tips posts was removed making the posts nearly illegible. Myself, Josh (mostly) and others edited each of those posts to correct the formatting. However, I just noticed that the index links at the beginning of that thread no longer accurately point to the appropriate posts. It's all a pretty big mess, actually. :( Better to refer to Brunos Tips directly from his website. He made arrangements with his family to keep that site up as long as possible. Also, for those interested, I have the entire Tips package downloaded onto my system (Thanks, Bruno!). I can compress and send to anyone who may want a copy to have on their systems. PM me with your email addy if you'd like me to send you the package.

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

That's true. Email providers allow for much larger emails these days. Mine is already g-zipped because that's how Bruno sent it to me. Anyway, can send (and Josh can as well) if any of you would like a copy.

• Like 1

Yes, Bruno was a legend.

BTW, the skinny elephants tip by most other sources I've seen is better used as REISUB, not RSEIUB. It means terminate and kill all processes before syncing disk.

Raising Elephants Is So Utterly Boring”

• Like 2

Bruno sounded like a heck of a good person. He has a bunch of fine folks here keeping his dream alive. Thanks everybody........

Eric, you mentioned you had the entire tips package on your computer.....which prompted me to look at the powers of wget again! I think I have it the entire "Tips for Linux Explores" downloaded now....using Lynx to look at it, and viewing it with SeaMonkey is also cool!

You all have a great day!

Edited by wa4chq
  • Like 4

I tend not to keep copies of tips locally any more, except for some common ones I forget regularly which are in Zim desktop wiki.

There are very few things I haven't been able to find quickly with Startpage-fu.

Two things I always have to lookup are awk and sed. Who can remember stuff like this?

execi 2 nvidia-settings -q gpucoretemp | grep -m 1 Attribute | awk '{print $4}' | sed -e 's/\.//'

Shows graphics card temp in Conky.

• Like 3

V.T. Eric Layton

Awk and Sed are extremely powerful and useful Unix/Linux command line tools. However, I've never really needed them often enough to remember their usage methods by heart, so I refer to MAN pages when I actually do need to use one of those commands. I guess I'm just not a real geek. ;)

• Like 1

Here's one I had to work out myself (with help):

tac -r -s '[^a-zA-z0-9\-]' lemis140215scores|awk '{print $1}'| paste -sd+ - | bc

5 internets if you can tell me what it does. :look:

which are in Zim desktop wiki.

Zim is the biz :thumbsup:

Yer printing a reverse order list of scores from some games you play on your pc. Or sumatt like that. :whistling:

securitybreach

tac -r -s '[^a-zA-z0-9\-]' lemis140215scores|awk '{print $1}'| paste -sd+ - | bc

Well I know that it is doing a batch renaming job.

abarbarian was close but no internets. It collates a long list of scores for control fields created in an Ingress operation and shows the total. List is a log extract like this, only dozens of lines:

VATEC created a Control Field @Jim Wong Chinese Restaurant (283 Barkly Street, Melbourne VIC 3011, Australia) +149210
Snow987 created a Control Field @Barkly Hotel 1913 (227 Barkly Street, Footscray VIC 3011, Australia) +150353
Snow987 created a Control Field @Nelson Brothers (202 Barkly Street, Melbourne VIC 3011, Australia) +151832

tac reverses the order and removes the + sign. awk prints only the first field which is now just numbers. paste adds a plus sign between separate numbers and bc does the total calculation.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Its purpose was primarily to give me a headache. ;)

• Like 2