179 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   jaflady

jaflady

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 05:50 PM

Well I'm late to this party - but I've been traveling - no computers at all - very cool.   Wanted to cast my vote for the absolutely fabulous freeware product:Irfanview.     I have been using for years and the programmer just keeps making his product better and better with every version and it absolutely never causes any problems and always "just works".  The slide show option is great as well.   Many kudos.For newer paid stuff - as an editor Adobe Elements is easy to use with half the learning curve of any of the others-you can go very simple or get pretty complex - fast editing for all those vacation pics.I really have no complaint on Outlook Express.  It does what I want ok.NoteTab Lite and Metapad are both excellent freebie text editors with lots of functions.I find ZoneAlarm very usefull - has caught all kinds of sneaky programs and either free or paid works.I have love/hate with Norton AV.  I simply hate most of the others.  One thing, Norton AV often does not play well with Win2000 and Zone Alarm all together - depends on versions of each.Other utilities:  most anything from KAREN WARE.  WinZip (which I do pay for even though they don't make you)  and Belarc's system info.

#52 OFFLINE   Scot

Scot

Administrator

• Forum Admins
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 09:42 AM

I have to concur with Prelude76 about FrontPage, and for the same reasons. For me, that program should be on the Software Hall of Shame list.I also agree that Dreamweaver belongs on the Hall of Fame list, and as I recall it's already there (I may have put it there myself, can't remember now).-- Scot
Scot Finnie, Editor in Chief, Computerworld; Figure Head, Scot's Newsletter

#53 OFFLINE   Paul D

Paul D

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 12:32 AM

The first one will go down like a lead balloon with some people.DirectCD. Brilliant program. Install it and forget it. It just sits there and WORKS. (Unlike InCD, which sucks big time)IrfanView Windows Commander (dual-pane Windows Explorer replacement - shareware)2xExplorer (as above - free)Notepad+  (Yep, it's a Notepad replacement)Paintshop Pro 6  (at the level I need, it's fine)CoolEdit 2000 (wav/mp3 editor)WinAmp 2.8x (no higher)WinMXI may add more when I get home tonight, but that'll do for starters

#54 OFFLINE   quint

quint

Linux Miner

• Forum MVP
  • 3,899 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 01:18 AM

Hi PaulD,Welcome, glad you arrived. Though I haven't used WinXP for some time now, I remember having most of the excellent choices you listed, but always used Nero, in lieu of Roxio (but I never did have the problems with Roxio that others here have). It's just too bad that there is no Windows version of "K3b" - a Linux CD burning program...the finest I've ever used, bar none!Good to have you aboard.
~ Linux User # 314972 ~ Ubuntu User # 12930 ~

If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.
                -- Mark Twain

#55 OFFLINE   SonicDragon

SonicDragon

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 11:12 AM

nothing comes close to Macromedia's Dreamweaver.
I still have never tried Dreamweaver :( It's definately something i want to look into though. Not like i could ever afford it :(.For now, it's still HTML-Kit, which i guess i will nominate in the Hall of Fame :D

#56 OFFLINE   Prelude76

Prelude76

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 02:26 PM

SonicDragon, on Jul 8 2003, 10:12 AM, said:

nothing comes close to Macromedia's Dreamweaver.
I still have never tried Dreamweaver :( It's definately something i want to look into though. Not like i could ever afford it :).
make sure you try it together with Macromedia Fireworks.  you could make any sort of image splicing into tables with mous click hot spots, just like the pros do it.  i started off with WebEdit which is just a fancy colour-coded version of NOTEPAD  :)  but now some of the sites i've designed with dreamweaver and fireworks, when i take a peak at the final HTML code with tons of onmouseover javascript and tables into tables into tables codes, i'd go nutz if i ever tried to code it by hand and split pictures pixel by pixel.   ;)

#57 OFFLINE   Paul D

Paul D

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 04:19 PM

Here are a few more:-Aida32 - System info, better than BelarcStar Downloader - free download enhancer (I prefer that term to accelerator)Spybot S&DStartup Cop - take control of what starts automaticallyEnditall - version 1, not 2FontPage - Font handlerDup Detector - great if you have lots of image filesFavorg - A brilliant little app that checks all your favorite links for validity, and also saves favicons so you don't lose them when you clear your cache.Create Favorites Home Page - turns your IE Favorites into an HTML home page.AddAButton - add custom buttons to your IE toolbar

#58 OFFLINE   RobertM

RobertM

Message Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 08:03 PM

Prelude76, on Jul 8 2003, 01:26 PM, said:

I still have never tried Dreamweaver :)
make sure you try it together with Macromedia Fireworks.  you could make any sort of image splicing into tables with mous click hot spots, just like the pros do it.  i started off with WebEdit which is just a fancy colour-coded version of NOTEPAD  :(  but now some of the sites i've designed with dreamweaver and fireworks, when i take a peak at the final HTML code with tons of onmouseover javascript and tables into tables into tables codes, i'd go nutz if i ever tried to code it by hand and split pictures pixel by pixel.   :D
::cringes at the word "table," especially when it's mentioned THREE times deep::  :(

#59 OFFLINE   Prelude76

Prelude76

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 10:14 PM

RobertM, on Jul 8 2003, 07:03 PM, said:

::cringes at the word "table," especially when it's mentioned THREE times deep::  B)
i hear you, but [TABLE]  beats any [FRAME] layout anyday  ;)

#60 OFFLINE   SonicDragon

SonicDragon

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 10:37 PM

i hear you, but [TABLE] beats any [FRAME] layout anyday
Yea, but css is the best way to go ;) No tables needed with CSS B)

#61 OFFLINE   Marsden11

Marsden11

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 04:30 AM

I must be in Betty Crocker mode...I used to think the same way about FrontPage but we have been using the latest from MS and it does everything DreamWeaver does and then some. In fact it does some things now that DreamWeaver is still dreaming about... I don't wish to get in a flame fest about this... My advice is, try the new FrontPage out... you may just be pleasantly surprised... It costs way less as well...

#62 OFFLINE   Prelude76

Prelude76

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 07:56 AM

are you talking about FrontPage 2002?  the one that comes with Office Xp?   I've tried it.  it's still a joke.  feels like MS Word with extra buttons.is there a newer one?

#63 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 09:07 AM

Here's a few I wouldn't want to live without:[*] Just about anything from AnalogX FREE - HyperTrace, NetstatLive, CookieWall, ScriptDefender, SuperShredder. I also have , BanishCD, DHCPFix, POW and several others which I sometimes use. All AnalogX programs are super lightweight and do a great job on their respective task.[*] TweakUI and Xteq Systems X-Setup - FREE[*] Pegasus Mail - FREE - The new version is exceptional and has won this OE ONLY user right back into the Pegasus fold after using OE for many years! HTML email will never again be a problem and I can use my email preview without concern because NO scripts will run in Pegasus mail. And best of all, it now allows flat viewing of folders and emails in one view and check multiple emails within one Identity.[*] - DAWN - FREE -  the Address Converter and Manager. Does a great job! Converted my pretty intense address book from OE to Pegasus Mail and did a great job, only minor changes needed. Now that's a first. Converts to many different email programs.[*] Nero - Better than anything ROXIO in Win98SE and comes FREE with some CD Burners.[*] SpyBot S&D (Search and Destroy) - FREE - I think this is the best Spyware and Adware removal product. Even safely removes NEWDOTNET without killing internet connection. New version is even better than previous version.[*] ZoneAlarm - FREE for personal use - The free verison works well for me in Win98SE.[*] Orbitron FREE - Keep track of the ISS and Shuttle (when they start flying again) location so you will know when they will be visible over your area. Lot of great features. NASA type 'screen' screensaver and program.[*] AVG - FREE - Grisoft's Anti-Virus software - free for personal use.[*] Easy Thumbnails - Excellent thumbnail creator with many features not found in other thumbnail creator software for Windows.--Macromedia's Dreamweaver is absolutely killer and a tremendous resource hog too LOL! It even has CSS and PHP support now. Many great plugins available. Very expensive. Combinations of some free tools and some not so free tools would be needed to come close, but they are available.Splitting images up for mapping click areas (through maps or javascripts) is available for a fee from a variety of for a fee and free programs. Here's just one, Splitz! See this page for URL for various pieces of the puzzle  ;) --These are just a few! Wow, I only just got started! I could be here all day!  B)EDIT: Removed Mozilla/Firebird since this program is not an established program as yet, despite it's stability, but is still in development and probably would not classify as a real candidate for the "Hall of Fame" yet.

Edited by LilBambi, 09 July 2003 - 05:46 PM.

Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#64 OFFLINE   quint

quint

Linux Miner

• Forum MVP
  • 3,899 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 10:15 AM

"Thanks for the memories...", Fran. B) Agree with those choices, as I used just about all of them. ;) Here's one that havenot heard anyone mention (forgive me if someone has); it's free, works on all Windows platforms, very low resource usage, very clean interface:Whisper32Hope you all like it...if you try it. B)
~ Linux User # 314972 ~ Ubuntu User # 12930 ~

If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.
                -- Mark Twain

#65 OFFLINE   Marsden11

Marsden11

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 11:01 AM

<<are you talking about FrontPage 2002?>>No! I'm talking FrontPage 2003...

#66 OFFLINE   SonicDragon

SonicDragon

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 11:39 AM

Pegasus Mail - FREE - The new version is exceptional and has won this OE ONLY user right back into the Pegasus fold after using OE for many years! HTML email will never again be a problem and I can use my email preview without concern because NO scripts will run in Pegasus mail. And best of all, it now allows flat viewing of folders and emails in one view and check multiple emails within one Identity.
I used Pegasus a long time back, before i switched to Mozilla. Since then i have been using Mozilla Mail. But, i've got to try the new version anyway :)

#67 OFFLINE   Prelude76

Prelude76

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 11:55 AM

Marsden11, on Jul 9 2003, 10:01 AM, said:

<<are you talking about FrontPage 2002?>>No! I'm talking FrontPage 2003...
ummm, okay....  can we maybe stick to final products, not beta products that will be out late summer?   :) i read up on Frontpage 2003, and many are saying they will finally have all features that dreamweaver has plus more.  but comparing dreamweaver MX to Frontpage 2002 is more fair, as i'm sure macromedia will release a new dreamweaver version sometimes this year, so we'll see how those two stack up then.

#68 OFFLINE   Marsden11

Marsden11

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 05:01 PM

The word "fair" is not in my vocabulary. Any software product that helps me get "the job" done without blowing up, hanging my system, or hosing code... is acceptable.  Anyone can order Office System 2003 and only pay for shipping. To play with DreamWeaver cost considerablly more. But then I'm dealing with huge amounts of XML data. I needed a tool that was built around XML...The fact that I have the beta of FP and the fact that it works as advertised... what is wrong with comparing? You have tool "A" on one side and tool "B" on the other. You have a task at hand and I choose the tool that gets the job done. It comes down to the most bang for the buck!

#69 OFFLINE   Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

Nocturnal Radio Geek

• Forum MVP
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 05:39 PM

Prelude76, on Jul 8 2003, 09:14 PM, said:

RobertM, on Jul 8 2003, 07:03 PM, said:

::cringes at the word "table," especially when it's mentioned THREE times deep::  :)
i hear you, but [TABLE]  beats any [FRAME] layout anyday  :)
Regarding frames websites, this link may be of interest: To Frame, Or Not To Frame? The article, written in 1999, is a bit dated, but its central points are as valid today as they were then. On some major websites, frames are used to good advantage, and certainly the current crop of browsers has no problems handling them. There still are problems with frames implementations, however. Far too many sites use them poorly and not the least bit out of necessity. I can greatly appreciate a frames site when it is well executed and _necessary_, and I do see such sites from time to time. Unfortunately, these are only a small minority of frames sites. :rolleyes:
Special Limited Edition Cluttermaster 2007 with direct air cooling system.
"ClutterLabs" --open hardware for open software" .......... Registered Linux User 446867

("It takes an entire village to raise a child...")
"It takes only one bulldozer to raze an entire village..."
"Hey, Mel- isn't that your kid driving that bulldozer?"

In loving memory of Bruno Knaapen of Amsterdam, who shared
his love of Linux, and thereby made the world a better place...

#70 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 05:49 PM

Any software product that helps me get "the job" done without blowing up, hanging my system, or hosing code... is acceptable
LOL! Very, very true!However, I think what Prelude was basically trying to say is that in a software "Hall of Fame," the software would be pretty much established. As a matter of fact, I went back and took out Mozilla/Firebird for this same reason. It is stable, but it is not an established program yet, it is still in development.Software that is not officially released might not be considered a 'real' candidate...yet.  :rolleyes:
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#71 OFFLINE   Rorp

Rorp

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 11:33 PM

I nominate Mozilla's Firebird 0.6 for the Hall of Fame.  I started using it several months ago in version 0.5 and have been using 0.6 since it came out.  I switch back to IE6 occasionally and am quickly reminded why I like Firebird so much.  It is more stable than IE6, and this is only a Beta (or is it Alpha).  It is small, about 6Mb download.  It is fast.  It automatically imports IE Favorites.  It is accurate.  In all my use I have only found one web page that won't work, and that is a Credit Union Visa Card application that requires IE or Netscape.  I love it.  I can't imagine how good it will be when it gets to version 1.0 and is released.I also nominate OpenOffice.Org version 1.3, the open source software suite.  I am a long time Microsoft Offilce User.  It has programs that do what Excel, Word and Powerpoint do, plus some other.  It will use Microsoft Office file formats for both reading and writing if you wish, or use its own format, which compresses files as it saves them for much smaller files.  It reads and displays MS Office files exactly as MS Office displays them with a great deal of accuracy.  It has lots of options to fine tune how it operates.  I find that I am using OpenOffice.Org all the time now.  I like it better than MSOffice, and it is free, free, free -- he, he, he -- free, free, free.  I paid big bucks for a wounded (won't install on my laptop) copy of MS Office when I bought my present desktop computer.  Never again.Rorp

#72 OFFLINE   seekert

seekert

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 11:41 PM

Stuff I use every day, or wish that I could!SitePadPro - I develop Java-based applications and this is the editor I use 100% of the time. From www.modelworks.com.CutListPlus - When I make cabinets I use this app to figure out the best way to cut up sheets of plywood, track inventory, etc.Eudora and Opera are my standards for e-mail and browsing.Breezebrowser (www.breezesys.com), ACDSee 5.0, Web Album Generator (www.ornj.net), and PhotoShop for digital image gathering, editing, and publishing to the web.

#73 OFFLINE   cool_techie

cool_techie

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 12:39 AM

My nominations:-Winamp 2.xNorton AVXOSLRanish partition managerDirectory SnoopEraser (the best)WinzipTripwire(for linux)Mulitsim Demo(Student Vesrion)Xing Mpeg PlayerVCD ClipperX-teq

#74 Guest_Loque_*

Guest_Loque_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2003 - 02:59 AM

Here are my Hall of Famers .......Ad-AwareSpyBotAgent NewsreaderLarsn Taskinfo 2002SnagitAOL Instant MessengerWebshotsQlockTurboNotesNorton AVZone AlarmBelarc Advisor

#75 OFFLINE   wiz4648

wiz4648

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 07:49 AM

I have to throw my had in the ring for a program that I keep coming back to for 70% of my digital image work.  MGI Photosuite 4.  They may even have a newer version out, but this is very intuitive software.  Things are well organized, and logically found, and there is a formidable amount of manipulative tools.  Slide shows are very well managed, down to seconds of display, method of transition, and other things that just turn up where you need them.  I also use Photoshop 7, and a handful of other packages. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users