• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:36 PM

Well Saturday night I stayed at a hotel chain that shall remain nameless (Days Inn.) The hotel advertised free wifi and most reviews were positive. So just to be safe I brought along a Windows laptop. Right.
I got the lappy unpacked fired it up and connected to the wifi gateway. To my dismay it was a totally unsecured hotspot and you had to launch a browser to accept the terms and log in. Eset started giving me grief about an insecure network and I could not reach the login page in any browser. Finally I fiddled with the wifi settings had Windows 10 diagnose the connection and fix the problems. Turns out DHCP wasn't working. After that I got the login page and then I could surf OK.
I wasted no time invoking Private Internet Access though. Eset kept telling me about all the smartphones that were joining the network.
I don't know why a hotel can't have a normally secured wifi network and change the password. Too much trouble?
Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#2 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,165 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:52 PM

They probably just don't know enough about it to realize what a security hazard it is.

#3 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,984 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 10:34 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 25 June 2017 - 09:52 PM, said:

They probably just don't know enough about it to realize what a security hazard it is.

Yeah, most people have no clue how to do even the most basic networking setups.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#4 OFFLINE   goretsky

goretsky

Forum Fiend

• Forum Moderators
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 10:36 PM

Hello,

I always like it when I'm traveling and find out the hotel still has wired Ethernet.  Plug in, sniff a little traffic to see if I'm on a switched or a bridged connection, and then fire up the VPN connection.  About half the time wired is from a different provider than wireless, and since everyone's used wireless it's much faster.  The last hotel room I was in consistently had 56Mbit/s up, 49 Mbit/s down.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Edited by goretsky, 28 June 2017 - 01:56 AM.
fixed typo

Dexter is a good dog.

Aryeh Goretsky
Microsoft MVP (Windows - IT Pro)

Facebook Google+ personal blog personal website Twitter

#5 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:43 AM

Yes I hear you, Aryeh. I always have an Ethernet cable in my backpack but unfortunately this hotel didn't have that option.
Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#6 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:23 AM

The last hotel room I was in consistently had 56Mbit/s up, 49 Mbit/s down.

Faster than my home broadband. :228823:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users