Monitor Brightness Screen keeps popping up

swhitmer

I have a new Dell with a flat panel monitor. So far everything is great except at the bottom right hand corner of the screen a window opens with what looks like adjustments for the monitor. It corresponds with the buttons on the side of the monitor but when i push them nothing happens. Its driving me nuts and pops up when you really don't want it to. Appreciate any help. Thanks

swhitmerWelcome to the forums :D But I do have a question, what distro are you running on your computer..(the reason I ask is that it seems your pop-up is associated with the monitor, therefore I was wondering if your distro sees the correct monitor( the only tool I've seen in linux is to change monitor res..and that usually resides in the taskbar and doesn't appear as a pop-up)

swhitmerWelcome to the forums :D But I do have a question, what distro are you running on your computer..
Forgive me for sounding ignorant but I don't know what a "distro" is.

HeyNo problem...are you running Linux on this machine? If so what version...If your running windows XP it might be that you need to set-up your monitor controls in windows (it might not be set as optimal and it trying to get you to change it) or you might need to update drivers.I'm sorry , but to answer your question...A distro is short for Distribution in Linux, ie Redhat, Slackware SuSe and PCLinuxOS are example of distros.

HeyNo problem...are you running Linux on this machine? If so what version...If your running windows XP it might be that you need to set-up your monitor controls in windows (it might not be set as optimal and it trying to get you to change it) or you might need to update drivers.I'm sorry , bur to answer your question...A distro is short for Distribution in Linux, ie Redhat, Slackware SuSe and PCLinuxOS are example of distros.
Im running windows xp. I'll have to try it when I get home this evening. Where do I go to access the monitor controls? My computer/control panel? Thanks for the welcome and all your help i'm sure i'll be back here again.

Well, That depends Control panel is a place to start, not sure if Dell has a Monitor tools for your particular flat panel...your question might be better served in the hardware questions, if you don't have an issue with that I'll move this to there and get better exposure for your issue( also did you get a CD with monitor drivers/tools with your system? it maybe be that you just need to load those tools and drivers (I know sometimes Dell usually comes with multiple CD, 1 for the operating system and 1 for drivers, was wondering if they had an addition one specifically for the monitor.

... and mention the exact model of the monitor and whether you're driving it through analog VGA or digital DVI connection, if applicable.BTW : Welcome swhitmer!

Edited by striker

Well, mainly I was having struggles getting it moved to hardware...OK there got it now!! Note: orginally post in ATL and moved to hardwareYou also might want to check your cables..make sure they are connected well, And another question is this a new flatpanel (like recently shipped..or an older panel that just started doing this)