ArchLinux Upgrade Fail

amenditman

I have been having this error for about two weeks.

I was ignoring it hoping it would fix itself, because I have no time to track down the problem.

[amenditman@amendesk ~]$ yaourt -Syu
Password:
:: Synchronizing package databases...
core						  102.5 KiB   279K/s 00:00 [#############################] 100%
extra						1386.3 KiB   544K/s 00:03 [#############################] 100%
community					1640.0 KiB   594K/s 00:03 [#############################] 100%
multilib					   86.4 KiB   282K/s 00:00 [#############################] 100%
archlinuxfr					29.0 KiB  75.1K/s 00:00 [#############################] 100%

==> WARNING: The following packages should be upgraded first :
pacman
==> Do it now ? [Y/n]
==> -----------------
==>
Password:
:: The following packages should be upgraded first :
pacman
:: Do you want to cancel the current operation
:: and upgrade these packages now? [Y/n] y

resolving dependencies...
warning: dependency cycle detected:
warning: udev will be installed before its util-linux dependency
looking for inter-conflicts...
:: gnupg and gnupg2 are in conflict. Remove gnupg2? [y/N] y
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: gcc: requires gcc-libs=4.6.3-1

Anyone else having this problem? It seems like I've seen this before but can't remember when or how I fixed it. :'(

Edited by amenditman

V.T. Eric Layton

This happened to me also. I just manally (#pacman -R gnupg2) removed it and then updated pacman and the other updates after that.

Yay! :)

V.T. Eric Layton

I believe so. You cannot run pacman as reg user, I don't think. I'm in Slack on the shop system at the moment, so can't confirm.

I generally use yaourt frontend for pacman and you run it as user and grant it su for limited operations.

I believe it downloads and builds packages as user and installs as root, maybe?

V.T. Eric Layton

Yes, yaourt is different. It's meant to be run as reg user; not pacman, though. I do believe pacman requires elevated privileges. Josh can confirm for you. :)

securitybreach

Yes, yaourt is different. It's meant to be run as reg user; not pacman, though. I do believe pacman requires elevated privileges. Josh can confirm for you. :)

Exactly right although as Amenditman mentioned, packages are built as the user when compiling from source (AUR w/ yaourt, packer, etc) and installed as root. Also, this is a gcc/gcc-libs issue due to a recent upgrade and has been covered on the Arch forums:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=131608

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1086153#p1086153

I have been really busy at work working doubles as we are moving locations, otherwise I would of mentioned the workaround two days ago when I went through the same thing. Glad that you have it fixed now though, thanks Fran and Eric for helping out :thumbsup:

I completely understand working doubles and triples. (though I say everyday out loud that I am blessed to have a job) I had intended to post the work around once I noticed no one else had but never got the time to do it. Eric went the long way in deleting gnupg2 but it still works. I simply forced the update by going # pacman -Sy pacman. Problem was is the update to pacman was dependent on gcc-libs=4.6.3-1 which was part of the update that day. But you could not perform updates with out updating pacman. Weird little bugs of software development. :thumbsup:

Hopefully others that read our post but do not post themselves will find this thread useful. :)

Hope everyone is doing well.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

gcc / gcc-c++ dependecy **** and glibc update **** have been around about as long as newer versions than you currently have have been around. :hysterical:

Seems to me it is more painless (overall) in Arch (a rolling distro) than in others. I usually have just installed the newer version of the distro and not deal with it.

It has gotten better with age, but it's still no fun...