MBR problem unable to boot

réjean

Hi all!

I was planning to replace Manjaro with Arch tonight. I downloaded the latest version a few days ago and put it on a USB drive. I didn't go far, not even in Cfdisk ( didn't know how to start it from Arch ), then I gave up and restarted the computer but the MBR is messed up.

I spent a good hour, if not more using Super Grub trying to fix the MBR, or GRUB. I cannot boot into Mint 17 which I normally use to update Grub, nor Ubuntu or OpenSUSE. I could boot into PCLinuxOS and tried "grub-install" and was told there was no error but couldn't update-grub (probably because it uses the old GRUB and not Grub 2. I haven't tried Mangeia nor Manjaro.

So I decided to reinstalled Mint 17 which I had installed just a week ago because I had some problems with Mint 14 ( small graphic resolution which has nothing to do with my actual problem). The installation went well. Grub was installed to 'sda' and some 'update-grub' took place so I thought I had solved my problem or at least I hoped but not. Upon rebooting I get the following message;

Verifying DMI Pool Data...
error: no such device: e2f44f52-8fd1-42ca-a661-9f4ad3f86a79.
Entering rescue mode
grub rescue>

So what can I do. I am actually replying from the live Mint 17 on the USB drive. I'll use Super-Grub and boot into PCLinuxOS or see if Mangeia can be booted or Manjaro. If you have any suggestion please let me know.

Thanks!

securitybreach

Well if you did not do anything on Archlinux, than the issue is not related to that. As far as cfdisk, you should follow the Beginner's Guide which will walk you through the installation. Then you follow the next guide on setting everything up which is linked to at the end of that entry.

As far as this, "error: no such device: e2f44f52-8fd1-42ca-a661-9f4ad3f86a79.", it looks like the drive UUID changed or something. I would boot a livecd and run blkid as root to get the right UUID value.

Here is how you reinstall Grub2 from LinuxMint: http://community.lin...torial/view/245

Hope that helps

Couldn't boot into anything so I'm back into live Mint on USB. Has anyone seen this before?

mint@mint ~ $ sudo grub-install /dev/sda
grub-probe: error: failed to get canonical path of `/cow'.
Installing for i386-pc platform.
grub-install.real: error: failed to get canonical path of `/cow'.
mint@mint ~ $

I found the following online

mint@mint ~ $ sudo os-prober
/dev/sda1:openSUSE 13.2 (x86_64):SuSE:linux
/dev/sda11:Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS (14.04):Ubuntu:linux
/dev/sda14:Mageia 5 (5):Mageia:linux
/dev/sda16:PCLinuxOS:PCLinuxOS:linux
/dev/sda17:Manjaro Linux (0.8.13):ManjaroLinux:linux
/dev/sda5:Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela (17.2):LinuxMint:linux
/dev/sdb1:Windows 7 (loader):Windows:chain

but then again;

mint@mint ~ $ sudo mount /dev/sda /mnt
mount: /dev/sda already mounted or /mnt busy
mount: according to mtab, /dev/sda5 is already mounted on /mnt
mint@mint ~ $ sudo chroot /mnt
mint / # update-grub
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for / (is /dev mounted?).
mint / # update-grub2
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for / (is /dev mounted?).
mint / #

Thanks for the help. I'll leave it at this for tonight. Just too tired. I tried the solutions in both your 1st link and the second;

mint / # grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda
grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /boot (is /dev mounted?).
grub-install.real: error: cannot find a device for /mnt/boot/grub (is /dev mounted?).
mint / # grub-install --root-directory /mnt/ /dev/sda5
grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /boot (is /dev mounted?).
grub-install.real: error: cannot find a device for /mnt/boot/grub (is /dev mounted?).
mint / # 

V.T. Eric Layton

All this missing MBR stuff reminds me of Longgone (Dale). I wonder whatever happened to him... and Kamicota (Colin) too, for that matter. :(

• Like 3

All this missing MBR stuff reminds me of Longgone (Dale). I wonder whatever happened to him... and Kamicota (Colin) too, for that matter. :(

Yes Kamicota was quite special, wherever he is now, or doing.

• Like 2