Backup Utility

DarkSerge

Greetings!

My oldest active system is slowly failing as it ages. My Windows install is almost unusable, and even Linux is being dodgy at times during startup. I don't have the resources to build a new system right now but I'm going to start by looking into an external hard drive for backup. Although most of my data (like my music collection) is stored on hard drives seperate from where I have an OS installed (and the drives are newer than the rest of the system by several years) they are still running on an aging system.

So please, recommend some good backup software to run in Xubuntu Linux!

The basic function I want is to tell it "These are the directories I want to backup, and here's the location to do that" and to regularly compare them to keep them up-to-date. I haven't gotten an external yet, I'm only beginning the process. I'm considering getting one that'll connect to my network so it's always there and I don't have to move it around if I want to access it from another computer.

securitybreach

Now if you wanted to backup your installation, clonezilla is the best software for the job. You basically run it as a livecd and it backs up your installation partition. It is very fast and allows you to backup/reinstall your install. It is similar to the old software Norton Ghost and True Image. Ian (ichase) wrote a nice tutorial on how to run this from the livecd:

http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=56462entry355676

The software has changed a little but the process is basically the same.

• Like 1

I want one central place to backup just my files, not my whole OS. I'm going to be looking into a new system soon and I'm planning to run a different version than I'm running here. Untili then I'm going to set up a backup drive for the time being.