New System build

DarkSerge

Greeetings.

I'm in the early planning stages of building a new system as my current system is aging and slowly failing. I currently have 2 SATA hard drives and they have only been data drives without ever having an OS installed: a 1 TB SATA 3 and an older 200 GB SATA 1.5

It's been a long time since I've worked with new hardware, would a modern system support these older drives? I can easily migrate all my files onto the 1 TB drive and use the 200 GB drive as my OS system drive. For the time being, I'm trying to figure out what resouces I have already that'll fit into a new system. I'm know it won't be peak performance, right now I'm just looking to make a system that works instead of peak performance.

I prefer to keep my data (music, movies, documents, etc.) on a drive seperate than the drive with the OS.

Alright. I'm mostly curious about compatibility. I'm not as concerned with performance as I am a working computer. Either way, my current system is much older and even a new system running on old SATA drives will still be faster.

While I can not be concise . I have been putting old scrap together for years now and rarely found any problems with the "mix + max" approach.

I recommend that any old drive that will take an os >booted and suited is a good base to work from . Slave up the least important drive ,and check it is ok with what you want to do . After that you may boot and suit that one , set to master > then if ok keep on truckin" till you get where you want to be .

Keep us informed as you go . We will all learn a little bit more

One of the systems I'm looking at comes with a 500 GB drive installed, and it seems to be a pretty good deal. So it might not be so important, but it's good to know. Even if it's a bit older, I'd hate for a perfectly good drive to sit around though.

It'll probably be a while until I actually acquire any new hardware, I've done some searching online for parts but before I get anything there's two computer stores downtown here that I'm going to look into as well.

Edited by DarkSerge
  • Like 1

The two drives mentioned in the opening post should work perfectly with your new kit.

If you can afford a ssd for your os , even a small one ie:60GB, or a very cheap one, then you will see a marked improvement in your computing. The older SATA drives would then be useful for storage.

:breakfast:

• Like 2

The two drives mentioned in the opening post should work perfectly with your new kit.

If you can afford a ssd for your os , even a small one ie:60GB, or a very cheap one, then you will see a marked improvement in your computing. The older SATA drives would then be useful for storage.

:breakfast:

Yes, second that advice about the drives; they are up/down compatible, and so is a faster NIC.

I would just advise about a new mobo; buy one that has usb3.0 and SATA 6gbps and a gigabyte ethernet port. The newer usb and sata parts are much faster than usb2 and sata 3gbps, and the NIC is 10x faster -- though you won't likely see much difference on a home lan, unless you move big files to another computer with a gigabyte NIC.

Good luck with it. I'm just today scavenging files from my 2nd desktop that has a mobo that appears to be in the process of failing.

• Like 1