installing win7 RC

réjean

Hi all!I actually have win 7 beta installed on one partition. So, first question; Is updating as good as installing the RC version? Second, I assume that if I install RC where the beta version is I'll need Super Grub to restore the Grub bootloader and get access to my other OSes ( linux partitions ) right?p.s. sorry. I had 2 or 3 tabs open and I started a new thread in the wrong section. Can someone move this thread in the Windows section please? I didn't mean for it to be here.

Edited by réjean

Hi all!I actually have win 7 beta installed on one partition. So, first question; Is updating as good as installing the RC version? Second, I assume that if I install RC where the beta version is I'll need Super Grub to restore the Grub bootloader and get access to my other OSes ( linux partitions ) right?p.s. sorry. I had 2 or 3 tabs open and I started a new thread in the wrong section. Can someone move this thread in the Windows section please? I didn't mean for it to be here.
rejean before it is moved to the windows thread how did you do the install in a partition without messing up messing up the complete hard drive .. and have it show in grubCharlie

Hi Charlie! As far as I can recall I had to use Super Grub to restore the MBR to the distro which was controlling Grub at the time ( probably PCLinuxOS 2007 ) or else I installed a new OS and gave it control of the MBR.I find that having several partitions makes it easier to fool around and mess up as long as you don't touch your main distro.

Frank Golden
Hi Charlie! As far as I can recall I had to use Super Grub to restore the MBR to the distro which was controlling Grub at the time ( probably PCLinuxOS 2007 ) or else I installed a new OS and gave it control of the MBR.I find that having several partitions makes it easier to fool around and mess up as long as you don't touch your main distro.
Hi Rejean, I have Win 7 and XP installed on my machine as well as two flavors of Ubuntu and both PCLinuxOS 2009 KDE and Gnome.You are right , installing Win 7 RC over Win 7 beta will take over your MBR and your GRUB. Running Super Grub to restoregrub to the distro you had controlling your boot menu is in order. The cool thing, for me anyway is that since I have both XP andWin 7 on my machine when I restore my GRUB there is only one chainload entry for Windoze. Selecting that entry brings up the XP/Win 7 boot menu.

Hi Rejean, I have Win 7 and XP installed on my machine as well as two flavors of Ubuntu and both PCLinuxOS 2009 KDE and Gnome.You are right , installing Win 7 RC over Win 7 beta will take over your MBR and your GRUB. Running Super Grub to restoregrub to the distro you had controlling your boot menu is in order. The cool thing, for me anyway is that since I have both XP andWin 7 on my machine when I restore my GRUB there is only one chainload entry for Windoze. Selecting that entry brings up the XP/Win 7 boot menu.
Win 7 RC is supposed be be a clean install. MS wanted it installed that way and it does perform better if it is clean installed.

Frank Golden
Win 7 RC is supposed be be a clean install. MS wanted it installed that way and it does perform better if it is clean installed.
Hi Gary, I'm sorry for any confusion but I was talking about a clean install, that is formatting the partition where the old beta is installed and installing the RC there. I think that is what Rejean was referring to.It doesn't matter what NTFS partition you install Win 7 beta/RC to it will delete your stage 1 GRUB in the MBR and replace it withit's own info. Running superGrub and restoring your original GRUB will fix that situation. You will end up with your original boot menu and when you choose Windows a second Win 7/"older version of windows" menu will present itself assuming you have another Windows version installed on another partition. If you only have the one Windows install (Win 7) then you should get your regular boot menu back where clicking on your Windows entry will take you directly to booting Win 7.Gary you are right that MS wants us to do a fresh/clean install and not upgrade an existing Win 7 beta and or Vista install. They want this to ensure trouble free testing and I guess to ensure we are not testing some sort of hybrid. There is info available to force an upgrade but MS doesn't recommend it. Win 7 will perform better from a clean install.Something to consider, a format of the partition is in order either before running the installer or using the advanced option in the installer (format). If you install on a partition without formatting first Win 7 will create a large file called win.old or something like that that will take up a lot of disk space. Even if you delete that file and recover that space you will still have remnants of the old windows scattered throughout your new install. I think that Win 7's way of handling a multiboot situation is pretty cool, especially in a situation where you have another Windows installation like I have (XP Pro).I was expecting a major headache and on a hunch ran SuperGrub and voila! all better. Nice integration. Edited by Frank Golden

I too meant formatting the actual win 7 beta partition then installing RC and running super grub. I just needed a confirmation. Thanks guys and to whomever moved my thread here. I appreciate it.

You should probably install RC as the beta is set to expire on August 1 and starting July 1 it will shutdown every two hours. The RC won't expire until June 1, 2010 with the same shutdown scenario starting May 1, 2010.

Frank Golden
You should probably install RC as the beta is set to expire on August 1 and starting July 1 it will shutdown every two hours. The RC won't expire until June 1, 2010 with the same shutdown scenario starting May 1, 2010.
I thought the shutdown scenario for the RC was to start on March 1 2010?see this from MS
How long can I test Windows 7?This is a very important question, because Windows 7 Beta and Windows 7 RC each have an expiration date. To avoid interruption, you’ll need to rebuild your test machine using a valid version of Windows before the software expires. Windows will notify you that the expiration process is beginning and two weeks later your PC will begin shutting down every two hours. The Beta expires on August 1, 2009, and bi-hourly shutdowns will begin July 1, 2009. The RC will expire June 1, 2010, and the bi-hourly shutdowns will begin on March 1, 2010. In both cases, you’ll need to rebuild your test PC to replace the OS and reinstall all your programs and data. (Learn more about installing Windows.)
The above excerpted from this site, belowhttp://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/faq.aspx Edited by Frank Golden

Quick note: Never, ever install a prerelease version of code over (or upgrade) another prerelease version of code. Never install or upgrade the gold version of an OS or program over a prerelease version.In some infrequent cases, or with very simple software, the maker may tell you it's permissible. But this is never the case with an operating system.Any assessment you might make of an upgrade of beta code over beta code would definitely be faulty assessment.I mean this to be helpful.-- Scot

Frank Golden
Quick note: Never, ever install a prerelease version of code over (or upgrade) another prerelease version of code. Never install or upgrade the gold version of an OS or program over a prerelease version.In some infrequent cases, or with very simple software, the maker may tell you it's permissible. But this is never the case with an operating system.Any assessment you might make of an upgrade of beta code over beta code would definitely be faulty assessment.I mean this to be helpful.-- Scot
Thanks Scot, Very good advice.This is why MS makes a point of telling us to do a fresh install.A fresh install doesn't need to be very painful if you plan ahead.Finding and downloading your hardware drivers before doing the install and saving them to removable media will greatly speed up the process. Thankfully, unlike XP, Win 7 installs most needed hardware drivers during setup.Locating your program installers (both install CD/DVD's and downloaded apps) and having them handy helps greatly.I make a list of every program in my C:Program Files folder to help help when installing my favorite apps.I can usually do a fresh install in a few hours with minimum hassle. Edited by Frank Golden