Windows 10 Antivirus

DarkSerge

Greetings!

Like many people, I have received and installed a free upgrade to Windows 10. It replaced Windows 7 on my laptop.

When it first ran I was having major problems with the Start menu and taskbar freezing up and even got to a point where it was starting up to just a black desktop with my cursor. After cursing and looking up fixes, I tried disabling a bunch of startup items including Avast antivirus and since then it's been working and I've had time to explore it a little.

I've uninstalled Avast to get my system working properly. I noticed that Windows 10 seems to have it's own antivirus. Did anyone else have such a problem after upgrade with antivirus? Also, should I still install a third party protection like I had with Avast or should I rely on the Windows 10 protection?

I know Windows 10 is still rather new so I'm sure some might still be forming opinions but I'm curious to everyone's opinions.

Hello,

It could be your version of Avast! wasn't fully compatible with Windows 10. Try visiting their web site and see if a newer, compatible version is available.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

According to Avast the latest versions are Windows 10 compatible and I updated everything prior to the upgrade. Everything's running fine now except for a few small hardware issues: touchpad driver software is a bit buggy and the webcam image is upside-down, but they aren't significant and bothersome to me, things I might fix in my spare time in the future.

My laptop gets minimal use compared to my other systems and I mostly stick to the same familiar websites on it.

So how important would everyone say a third-party antivirus protection would be compared to the Windows 10 built-in protection?