iGuardian - The Home Internet Security System

abarbarian

http://linuxgizmos.com/networking-security-appliance-runs-snort-on-openwrt/

Itus Networks is set to launch a $149 “iGuardian” network security appliance on Kickstarter that runs OpenWRT Linux and the Snort IPS stack on a MIPS64 SoC.

Few vendors have targeted the consumer network security appliance market, and even fewer have done so with pricing under $500. A San Jose, Calif.-based startup called Itus Networks, however, plans to protect your home WiFi router with a $149, open source Linux iGuardian device that offers both a network intrusion prevention system (NIPS) and a network intrusion detection system (NIDS). The device blocks cyber attacks while also filtering out malware “and other undesirable content,” says the company. Like other network security appliances, it sits between your Internet source and your WiFi router, acting as a security firewall.

here is the Kickstarter page which is not running yet.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/itus/900815374?token=f30bd9c9

Is the iGuardian a useful tool or just a load of fluff ? :breakfast:

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Maybe a question would be (especially in light of the price of this project); will it be useful when we move to a totally IPv6 format.

IPv6 will change everything; every device in the world will have it's own unique IP, right?

Another major question is software updates. NIPS/NIDS would requires signature updates and software updates to continue to provide effective protection. I did not see anything promising that either.

• Like 1

Another major question is software updates. NIPS/NIDS would requires signature updates and software updates to continue to provide effective protection. I did not see anything promising that either.

I should have posted this link too.

http://linuxgizmos.com/networking-security-appliance-runs-snort-on-openwrt/

There’s no need to enter the WebUI or CLI console, says the company. The device includes a hardware switch for setting one of one of three possible modes, one of which loads a configuration that enables layer-2 bridge mode with Snort running in-line.

Snort is an open source project from Cisco’s Sourcefire, billed as an IPS with real-time traffic analysis and packet logging. The Linux-ready stack has been downloaded four million times, and boasts almost a half million registered users, making it the world’s most popular IPS, according to the project.

The company will provide Kickstarter backers with a default configuration that will automatically download and install open source and community rule sets.

Breitwieser says Itus Networks “intends to keep the iGuardian software platform open source, but the company may release a future commercial version that may not be.” The hardware, on the other hand, is closed source. “Open hardware would mean we would publish data on how to build our board and at this point, we we don’t intend to do that,” adds Breitwieser.

“We intend to leave the iGuardian Kickstarter Edition open or ‘unlocked’ so that anyone wishing to add their own rule subscriptions may do so,” explains the Kickstarter page. “Future versions of the iGuardian may not include this capability.”

Further information

The iGuardian Kickstarter page goes live Aug. 7 at 10:00am PDT, with shipments due in Feb. 2015. Early-bird pricing for the Kickstarter round advances through $99, $109, $119, and $129 packages, followed by the standard $149 package. Additional information about iGuardian may be found at the Itus Networks website. Itus Networks will showcase the iGuardian device at the Defcon Hacking Conference Aug. 7-10 in Las Vegas.

I am not familiar with the programs used but it looks like you can get updates and even make your own rule sets. The cheapest Kickstarter price is $99.

As I do not have a great deal of knowledge about this type of protection I was hoping folks would be able to give information as to whether the iGuardian would be a good security tool for home use. I am thinking of trying to run ArkOS to run a Ghost blog from a Pi based at home using my broadband connection so help in keeping that protected would be neat.

:breakfast: