Firefox Changing Policy for Add-Ons!

Corrine

When Firefox version 57 is released, only add-ons built on the new WebExtensions API will work. As indicated in Martin Brinkman's article, Firefox will only support WebExtensions by the end of 2017, the following add-on types will be allowed in Firefox 57:

• Signed WebExtensions.
  • Signed bootstrapped system add-ons.
  • Language packs.
  • Dictionaries.
  • OpenSearch plugins.
  • Lightweight themes.

Personally, it was the "rapid release" schedule that sent me back to using Pale Moon several years ago when I got tired of what seemed more like change for the sake of change rather than browser improvements. As Martin said in the referenced article,

Some Firefox users who rely on certain add-ons may migrate away from Firefox to Pale Moon or another third-party browser that shares code with Firefox.

I'm glad I already made that move!

• Like 3

I wonder if the security add-ons I use on mother's win7 machine will still be migrated. Is Palemoon similar enough to FF that I could get an 88-year-old to make the switch?

I REALLY hope NoScript is migrated or I'm moving to something else on my linux laptop.

In my opinion, yes, Pale Moon is similar enough to FF. The easiest thing would be for you to try it yourself to see if it would meet your Mother's needs.

• Like 1

FF are making a fortune with me . I click on the adds just to help keep it going . If it stops working the way I like then I will go through the business of getting Palemoon up and running . I tried to get it going a couple of years ago but gave up as I was totally incompetent .. But now ....Ha HA . I just bet I will get it together just to prove to myself that I can do it .

Palemoon is our default browser. FF ESR is our backup and this statement made me feel a bit better

Firefox ESR will run legacy add-ons as the change won't affect the extended support release version right away (the version is at 52.5 at the time of the release of Firefox 57. The earliest option for ESR is when Firefox ESR 59 is released in 2018).
So it looks like I have a year of not worrying about this. By 2018, I'll have read enough to see if I want to continue using FF ESR as a backup browser or switch to something else.

phooey, i like Ghostery. so PaleMoon is going to follow the Mozilla Foundation concerning the add-ins?

Currently i bounce between PaleMoon and Chromium, with a little SeaMonkey.

• 10 months later...

Slightly off topic:

This morning while browsing my local newspaper's website, the FireFox extension "CanvasBlocker" was being unusually obtrusive.

When I went to check the settings, I noticed (unlike my other extensions) it was no longer flagged as "Legacy".

Apparently it's been updated in anticipation of FF 57, and it's "ASK" setting got more active.

Mozilla sent Firefox Version 56.0.1 to the release channel today. The update includes one fix and the migration to 64-bit Firefox for users of the 32-bit version. Note the unresolved issues!

Firefox ESR was remains at version 52.4.0.

Mozilla Firefox Release Notes