computer broke?

jmjlinux586

jmjlinux586

Hello,I just finished updating some programs withsynaptic, and tried rebooting and it did not completly reboot.I unplugged it and tried to restart the computer,it started to boot and I see a lot of lines going by withgreen ok's.It gets so far and then I get a blank black screen,and no x window.I hit control+alternate+delete and the screen showsshutting down lines go by.I don't know why it is hanging somewhere betweenboot start and x windows.Any Ideas???I am writing this from the live CD.This works right but the installed version won't boot,What's up with that???????? B)

securitybreach

First of all you can really mess up an install by hard shutdowns. I would suggest the SysRq key method described by Bruno in the Tips for Linux Explorers: Skinny Elephants ( if all else fails ) That said what distro are you having this problem on? It sounds like X has some sort of update and since it did not restart completely, the configuration files were not updated. Also, check your xorg log. My log is located in /var/log/Xorg.0.log so your should be something similar in the /var/log directory.Hope this helps.Thanks

Edited by securitybreach

securitybreach

I see your signature has a link for pclinuxos. If you are running PClinuxOS, try running the command XFdrake --auto as root to reconfigure X.ThanksBTW the command is XFdrake dash dash auto. I dunno if its my fonts but it looks like one dash on my post

Edited by securitybreach

Yep I agree with securitybreach . . . XFdrake is the tool to use in order to get your X back. You can run "XFdrake --auto" automatically or if that does not help just use "XFdrake" ( casesensitive !! ) and work yourself through the sections to re-configure your graphics.B) Bruno

Maybe a nvidia update, and dkms isn't running at start up?
Yep, that or a kernel upgrade . . . or the latest x-server that has compatibility issues with older nvidia drivers.Temporary switching to the "nv" drivers could do the trick.B) Bruno

Yep, that or a kernel upgrade . . . or the latest x-server that has compatibility issues with older nvidia drivers.Temporary switching to the "nv" drivers could do the trick.:D Bruno
Unless he added back kernel latest or manually updated a kernel then it wouldn't be that. Could be the new x?? I dunno but these latest updates are causing issues for a bunch of users. The repos were buggered for a day or so as well. I have been very fortunate and haven't broken my system in a long time, and I think it's a record for an install lifetime. B)

jmjlinux586

Hello,I tried XFdrake and it still didn't boot X.I don't have a ndvida driver.Anyway, I did a reinstall and still had problems:1. After the reinstall it went to the x windowsand I was able to log in as a user ok.2. When I tried to open the mozilla firefox icon in the task bar it looked like it wouldstart but never did.3. Anyway, that was an 8 year old HP pavilionthat was used hard, so I retired it.4. I had another 8 year old computer that I boughton Black Friday in 1999 that was hardly used.I had installed PCLinuxOS on it before we moved.5. Anyway the old HP didn't go down withoutleaving something behind. I stole the cd-burner,the ethernet card and a usb hub from it.So now I am writing from my 8 year old emachines/HPcomputer with PCLinuxOS 2007.

Anyway, that was an 8 year old HP pavilion that was used hard
Maybe at that age you would need a *light* ( maybe even "ultra-light" ) version of the distro . . . . . Anyway, glad you are back in business ;)B) Bruno

My HP Pavilion purchased in 2000 and updated to 192MB of RAM was running Vector Linux SOHO 5.1.1(I've since donated the computer).If you can't find any place with a download and want to tackle it sometime, send me a PM with a mailing address and I will burn a CD and ship it off to you.

jmjlinux586

Hello,This e-machine/HP computer is updated with 256 ram.PCLinuxOS runs great, it doesn"t need a light version.I am not a gamer so I don't need all that speed.I just need a computer that works and PCLinuxOSis just right for me.Thanks