Fedora resets volume to 100%

Robert

I've been using Fedora 23 as my primary OS for over a week now, with Gnome 3.18.2. Upon every reboot of the system it reverts to 100% maximum volume.

I would normally work around this issue with my preset speaker volume, but the 100% volume is overloading the internal sound system so it crackles and breaks up on the speaker. Until I reset the Fedora/Gnome sound to about 80% it sounds awful no matter what the speaker volume is set too.

Side note:

I'll be going back to Ubuntu as my main system in a couple of days when my new graphics card (the old one replaced under warranty) arrives. I was unable to change my graphic settings in Ubuntu to a different backup graphic card I'm using while waiting so had to stop using Ubuntu. If the new card does the same I might be back here asking for help to get it to work.

securitybreach

Once you set the levels to what you like, run this as root to set the default audio level at boot:

alsactl store

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

That will only work when using ALSA, of course. No help Fedora is using PulseAudio.

I tried it anyway :whistling:

results:

[robert@localhost ~]$ alsactl store

alsactl: state_lock:125: file /var/lib/alsa/asound.state lock error: File exists

[robert@localhost ~]$

Now it says:

robert is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.

I guess I should stop before the sound stops working completely or I get locked out.

securitybreach

That will only work when using ALSA, of course. No help Fedora is using PulseAudio.

Most of the time, alsa works with pulse. It's not an either/or like i used to think. I actually use them together

Hedon James

I always that ALSA was the base, acting on hardware; and PulseAudio was the UX layer that users were allowed to tinker with. Throw JACK into the mix and I tend to get lost....I just cross my fingers that the default config works fine!

securitybreach

I always that ALSA was the base, acting on hardware; and PulseAudio was the UX layer that users were allowed to tinker with. Throw JACK into the mix and I tend to get lost....I just cross my fingers that the default config works fine!

Correct. Alsa is built into the kernel and provides kernel level audio drivers whereas Pulse controls the sound.

PulseAudio serves as a proxy to sound applications using existing kernel sound components like ALSA or OSS.

https://wiki.archlin....php/PulseAudio

securitybreach

It didn't last. On another reboot volume was just a little bit higher. Next boot it jumped back to 100%.

Try going through some of the steps listed in this thread and see if it gets you anywhere and if not, post the configs and outputs from the commands here.

Thanks

V.T. Eric Layton

It didn't last. On another reboot volume was just a little bit higher. Next boot it jumped back to 100%.

Well, sat THUCKS!