10 Minute Mail

Neil P

10 Minute Mail

Going to that link will generate a temporary email address--one that's good for 10 minutes. You control it and can access the messages right from the page. So, if you need an email address to sign up for something but you don't want to divulge your actual email, this is a simple way to do it.

You can extend your 10 minutes--to take you back to 10 minutes. You can do this multiple times, if a website takes a while to send you a message. After the timer expires, the email vanishes.

securitybreach

Remember that this will not work on all websites especially ones that research their user registrations like we do. If I find that your email address is a throwaway account like your describe, legit user or not, I immediately deny registration. :sorcerer:

Just something to keep in mind if you use throwaway (temporary) email accounts. If the admins do their job, you will be nuked :nuke:

BTW this is done to prevent spammers from activating new accounts as temporary email domains are havens for spammers.

B)

For something like a forum I would think you would use a "regular" email address anyway (maybe not your primary address, if you're paranoid, but still one you have permanent access to). These would be more useful for something that requires registration but you don't really want actively emailing you.

For anything that you plan on using extensively, a real email address is your best bet anyway. Most websites use email as password recovery, and if you don't control the address, you could lose your login (or at least make it a lot more difficult to get in)

securitybreach

Would it not be easier to just create a new email account instead one of these temporary accounts and then forward mail based upon filters you set? I have like 9 email accounts myself as I am sure most of you do as well:

1 main gmail

4 secondary gmail accounts that get forwarded to my main gmail account using filters

1 yahoo (for messenger)

1 msn (for messenger)

1 aol (for messenger)

Granted I do not use any of my messenger's email addresses but I do have them if I want to use them for registrations. I understand the whole deal about anonymity but only 1 of my gmail accounts actually has my name (for the Android market) and even then it is not tied to a real bank account (prepaid cc).

Would it not be easier to just create a new email account instead one of these temporary accounts and then forward mail based upon filters you set?

Not for me. I spend a few minutes a day on some free sample websites. Most of them want an email address but don't confirm it. Others send a confirming email that I have to respond to to get my freebie. Some automatically sign me up for newsletters.

Other than responding to the occasional confirmation request I never want to hear from them again and I don't want to mess with filtering them so the address self-descructs after a predetermined period of time.

I have several gmail accounts (and, uh, I don't even remember them all) but I end up only using my main address. I want to start using other addresses and maybe forwarding/filtering, but I'm so far in the hole (I get maybe 75 emails a day and none of them are from real people). But I also don't want to give up the address I have now. Should I just work on giving out another address from now on and hope for the best like 3 years from now?

securitybreach

I have several gmail accounts (and, uh, I don't even remember them all) but I end up only using my main address. I want to start using other addresses and maybe forwarding/filtering, but I'm so far in the hole (I get maybe 75 emails a day and none of them are from real people). But I also don't want to give up the address I have now. Should I just work on giving out another address from now on and hope for the best like 3 years from now?

Well since you only get around 75 emails a day, it should not take very long to "fix" your email account.

I imagine that quite a bit of them are from the same sources? If so, just take an hour or so each day to and visit the source's websites and change your email address to one of your other accounts (as long as you still know the passwords for them). Also, click the unsubscribe button for the emails that you no longer care about. It will not take very long to get rid of most of them from your main account, the rest you can fix over time.

Once you have it down to the emails you actually care about, setup filters and or labels for those addresses (there are many ways to do this depending on how you want them filtered and/or labeled and also which email service you use). The only reason I use filtering is because I am subscribed to a lot of large mailing lists like Full Disclosure, Bugtaq, Nmap-hackers, Info Security News, Arch dev lists, etc. Setting up filters for these lists, I can have them automatically moved to folders I setup and I can use it as a sort of database using the search function (gmail).

When you have your main email account cleaned up, visit the other email accounts you have and set them up to forward to your main account (you can either forward all email and keep a copy or forward the email and delete them from your other account that they are sent to).

After you do that, go to your main gmail account and either select Import Mail to setup incoming folders or use the Filters option to automatically move emails that are forwarded from your other addresses to separate Folders that you specify.

After you have set up your filters and/or lables, you will be able to give out your main email address only when you really want to (or not at all) and use your other various accounts for different things you want to subscribe to.

You can even do like I do and have various aliases on each email account and/or websites. :ph34r:

Plus, you will have multiple spam filters scanning the emails so you will almost never get a spam email on your main account.

I might have missed something as it is late here but that should give you a good idea of how to proceed. B)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reason I said only 75 email a day is because of this is what my main email inbox looks like:

2eba60197650304.jpg