Clutter Learns Linux

Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

Hi, All-I have been downloading live CD distros at a friends house over broadband. I 'm running Ububtu 6.06 at the moment. This is the first time ever that I have connected to the internet using a Linux OS. I'm on dialup. The setup was fairly easy because of the great networking tutorial on the Ubuntu site.Very soon now I will install a distro onto one of my Pentium 4 boxes. I have two external dialup modems and have a 3rd one on order. They are gettting pretty cheap since everyone is on broadband now.I guess my first question relates to modems. Is it possible to have both a Winmodem and an external modem on the same box at the same time? I might do that on a Windows box where I want to ocasionally run Linux from a Live CD. Would Windows get confused to see two modems? I know Ubuntu is handling it OK because the P4 1.6GHz I'm on right now has both.I plan to make 2007 my year to finally start learning Linux. :whistling:

Scot's Newsletter Forums does not encourage or condone violating any law regarding copyright or DRM/DMCA (U.S. Digital Millennium Copyright Act) in the USA, or similar laws that may exist in other countries. Some of the software mentioned in this thread may be illegal to use in your location. Copying certain CDs/DVDs may also be illegal in your location. Even if you may believe these laws to be unconstitutional, unethical, silly, and a violation of consumer fair use rights, please check the laws for your location before following the advice in this thread. . . . . . -- Forum Admins & Moderators
Edited by Cluttermagnet

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cluttermagnet

• Urmas

• Bruno

• V.T. Eric Layton

Yes it is very possible and very easy to have multiple modems in linux. However, since one will be a winmodem, and one a "real" modem, only one (the real one) will be detected by default in linux. Getting a winmodem working in linux can be a pain, but is not impossible. Windows should detect multiple modems with no problem.The modems that you are getting for linux are external, right? If so, they should be available on /dev/ttyS0.Good luck. Ubuntu is a great choice for starting out in linux. I run 6.06 myself on this laptop, and it's been to both ends of the US, going GPS tracking, dialup through my winmodem, and now accessing the internet via Cingular Wireless. It's also worked with just about every peice of hardware I've thrown at it, with the exception of my 5-in-1 card reader.Adam

Cluttermagnet

...BTW Although I could view the Linux forum on Scot's site, I could not get this message to send via Linux. I'm sending it via one of my Windows boxes. I can't tell what the problem is. Firefox is still loading other websites, but won't load Scot's any more. Strange.

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet
It went through....see the topic listing ;)Adam
Yep. But from the Windows box, not the Linux box. At the time I tried to send it, I wasn't logged onto Scot's Forums on the Windows box. And it definitely failed to post. I had to figure out how to save and export the post as a text file, and took it over to the Windows machine to send. At the moment I'm also sending from there. Downloads of the site on the Linux box 'stall', fail to load. Maybe the forum software has detected that two different entities are trying to navigate on the site, both logged on as Cluttermagnet? Heh!

Guest LilBambi

In Linux, go to Tools, Clear Private data and then try again in Linux.You may have hit a glitchy time in the forums and just need to clear the cache and/or cookies.Gonna merge these two topics.Might want to edit post #3 down to the last paragraph now that it's merged. ;)I use Scot's in Windows, Linux and the Mac. I have never had a problem browsing the forums or posting when using it on other computers.Your original post in Linux was actually posted (that's why I had to merge them). I really think you ran into some glitch on the forums when you were posting and it got stuck in your cache or trashed your cookie (tossed your cookies LOL!)YES! I just ran into a problem with the forums loading!Will email Scot .. must be time to do some database repairs....(and this was on the Mac)

Cluttermagnet

Scot's site continues to load sluggishly in the linux copy of Firefox. Loads pretty snappy in 98SE Firefox. I can't conclude that Live CD Ubuntu is a pig running Firefox, because some other sites load and refresh just fine in there. But it sure borders on unuseable in Linux at the moment.I'll clean up my posts shortly, I do see the double post now...

Guest LilBambi

Good deal .. glad you can see them now.Have you tried loading any other forums? Forums are a bit hoggish. Particularly the first time you load. Lots of images. On Win98SE you likely have all that stuff preloaded in cache. And don't forget you are running from a LiveCD. It's not the same as being installed. It's much snappier loaded on the system.

Cluttermagnet
Yes it is very possible and very easy to have multiple modems in linux. However, since one will be a winmodem, and one a "real" modem, only one (the real one) will be detected by default in linux. Getting a winmodem working in linux can be a pain, but is not impossible. Windows should detect multiple modems with no problem.The modems that you are getting for linux are external, right? If so, they should be available on /dev/ttyS0.Adam
Thanks, Adam-I thought it might be no problem. So I will have 'double modems' on a few Windows boxes at times, just to facilitate running live CD Linux on them.I think Ubuntu detected /dev/ttyS1 when I let it autodetect. That would be the external modem. Maybe S0 is the Winmodem in that box? Anyway, it fired right up and accessed the net, no pain, no strain. It's a start...

Guest LilBambi

Glad you have a real modem (the external one) since Winmodems can be problematic in Linux. Although they have gotten better with some of them.

Cluttermagnet
Have you tried loading any other forums? Forums are a bit hoggish. Particularly the first time you load. Lots of images. On Win98SE you likely have all that stuff preloaded in cache. And don't forget you are running from a LiveCD. It's not the same as being installed. It's much snappier loaded on the system.
I did the personal data clearing you suggested and then shut down Firefox and reopened. Generally, Firefox and the external modem are loading sites pretty snappy. I'll now take another look at Scot's and see whats up- so towards that end. I'll now log off the forum on this Windows box......and now I'm back on the Linux/Ubuntu machine and it seems to be responding normally again- so I will post this edited version and that will constitute my second ever post from a Linux machine. Heh!Good point, LilBambi, so far as the limitations of live CD sessions. I'm aware of that, and may have just seen it. I've just about decided which of my four main computers to first devote to Linux. It has a hosed copy of 98SE on it, but Linux finds all the hardware on it, so I'll just install over Windows and then start learning all that stuff about users and permissions. I want to learn to create and move files around soon, as I was taught to be file- oriented as a new Windows user, by my mentor. That file orientation has served me very well over the years. I also intend to learn about command line navigation, as well as taking advantage of the Linux GUI's. Ultimately, how well the Linux folks implement GUI's will determine how well they penetrate the desktop market. The time is as good as ever, considering the problems with early release Vista. Edited by Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet, Glad to see you coming over and give Linux a solid go. Good luck,and with some patience and determination you will be shortly thinking why you waited this long. Ubuntu running live was pretty slow for browsing on my amd athlon machine. As Adam said you need to install it to see it fly. :whistling: Did PCLinux make your live cd collection? I hope so, I know I wish I had tried it sooner. Things would have been a lot easier on me in the beginning if I had. :) Anyhow, have fun on your new Linux endeavor :whistling: Tommy

Cluttermagnet
Did PCLinux make your live cd collection? I hope so, I know I wish I had tried it sooner. Things would have been a lot easier on me in the beginning if I had. :whistling: Anyhow, have fun on your new Linux endeavor :whistling: Tommy
Thanks, Tommy-In fact, I did burn a CD with PCLinux, but had a little trouble with it. The machine I happened to burn it on wouldn't even recognize the CD (I'm talking about in an XP machine). I brought it home, and got the same error on two different P4 machines, something about a 'loop error' and running with a reduced kernel. I'll run it again and give you the error message verbatim, if you're interested. FWIW, the error it pops up is 100 percent identical on two different P4 machines. Oh, BTW I did look at the MD5sum, and it totally checked out with the .iso I downloaded. I'm kind of stumped as to how to proceed. PCLinux looks real, real good- nice GUI, does a lot of stuff for the new user, etc. But if I can't get it to run as a live CD, I won't ever install it. I really do want to try it, however. Edited by Cluttermagnet

I plan to make 2007 my year to finally start learning Linux. :whistling:
Ladies and Gentlemen,biggrinyoyo.gifbiggrinyoyo.gifbiggrinyoyo.gifbiggrinyoyo.gifbiggrinyoyo.gifbiggrinyoyo.gifbiggrinyoyo.gifbiggrinyoyo.gifbiggrinyoyo.gifbiggrinyoyo.gifPenguinmagnet is here! :whistling: :) :) FYI... the forum was - almost - down for a while... methinks that was the reason for your posting problems.

Hi Clutter, good to see you finally took the plunge to discover, great ! Welcome in linuxland and of course in ATL ! :whistling: Whenever you have questions just ask them, plenty of Ubuntu users here (not myself) who will be glad to give you a hand.

Guest LilBambi

Yes, striker, and I am one of those Ubuntu users as well as many, many others! :thumbsup:I originally tried it out on my AMD 64 computer via LiveCD and it loved that computer, so I installed it and haven't regretted it for one minute. :whistling:

I plan to make 2007 my year to finally start learning Linux. :)
Hi Clutter . . . . Hurray . . . . Congrats . . . . . and welcome back !!You told us a few years ago that you would be back trying Linux, and . . . you kept your promise. That is absolutely great !!Glad you like Ubuntu . . . and that Ubuntu likes your hardware ;) There is plenty of Ubuntu users here in ATL to help you with the questions that you might have.Man, Clutter, this makes my day :thumbup:B) Bruno

Clutter... WELCOME to the FUN! :)
Or the insanity, as the case may be! You have some really good resources here to help you solve any crazy-making issues.

Welcome back.... Clutter;I just knew you would be back also. You know I have said thistime and time again, there are a lot of helpful and patientpeople on this forum, that will help you in your transition toLinux. Just provide the questions and they will provide theanswers. Then you will be a happy Linux user like the restof us. My suggestion would be that you should try PCLinuxOSand you'll never look back.Enjoy.:)

Cluttermagnet

Thanks, all! I will install my first Linux shortly, probably Ubuntu. I intend to try a bunch of them before I settle on any one. This will take years, I'm sure, because I do want to learn to work in a file- oriented and command line- oriented way, as well as with GUI's. I will have plenty of questions. This will be a part time, limited time effort. A major milestone for me will be whenever I reach a point where I find it as easy to do everyday tasks in a Linux OS as to do them in Win98SE, which I've had 7 years to get very familiar with.

A major milestone for me will be whenever I reach a point where I find it as easy to do everyday tasks in a Linux OS...
Bets, anyone?90 days, max... especially with Ubuntu... :huh:

My suggestion would be that you should try PCLinuxOSand you'll never look back.
That's right. But when exactly will 2007 be released, does anyone know?

Not being smart here but the correct answer is when it is ready. Hopefully within a month would be the answer you are looking for. I like it that the one who decides that is a perfectionist. B) I have installed all the test releases. I am running test 3 on a daily basis now. I was also able to upgrade from test 2 on one of my installs with only one config file that I had to fix, so don't be afraid of the fact that test 3 isn't final. I had found it to be very stable on my box. :huh: Clutter don't underestimate how easy it may be for you to make the move. As Urmas said, I am betting that in a few months you will be very comfortable using Linux daily for all your needs.

i'm a bit of a computer geek, so learning linux isn't quite the learning curve it would be for some. but i can honestly do about anything i need to do, including manage windows equipment, from pclinuxos.
Ho, stop Temmu ... except for one little tiny weetsie thingie :huh: , OCR'ing . That's a major ...... (fill in anything applicable) in linux. But all other things, well let's say it this way : windows, eh yes, but what is that ? I can't remember, except for those things looking through to the outside world. :wacko:

Cluttermagnet
Clutter don't underestimate how easy it may be for you to make the move. As Urmas said, I am betting that in a few months you will be very comfortable using Linux daily for all your needs.
Probably true. Well, I'm running Ubuntu 6.06 right now from a friend's house. He has cable broadband internet. The OS found it efortlessly and without my having to set up anything. OTOH his copy of WinXP is giving me headaches right now because (1.) it is very bloated, and (2.) it won't let me save images of C: to the new 160G HD I just put in for him, using either Bing or PQ Drive Image 5.0. No idea yet why that is- one or the other has always worked for me in the past. If I can't image, he won't let me risk damaging his copy of XP, which desperately needs some weeding out. His Windows Restore folder is suffering from massive bloat. Ugh!I'm liking Linux more and more by the minute. Heh! This live CD session is fast and gets the job done. His XP is soooooo slow and bloated. Ugh! Edited by Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet
The answer to the other topic ... have a look there. :wacko:
Thanks, striker-Yes, I'm pursuing this problem in the Windows forum here.

V.T. Eric Layton

Hey, Clutter...Listen, I was a complete neophyte when I first loaded Linux onto my machine. Heck, about the only think I knew about Linux was the name. I considered myself to be a relatively accomplished Windows person. I had learned it all on my own, starting back in 2000. My only previous experience with Windows was 3.1 for a brief time back in 1993 or so. I reached pretty far down under the hood (as far as you can) with Windows.Then one day, a straw broke the camel's back. My system experienced a catastrophic failure (OS corruption) due to a Windows patch. I had 3 previous failures similar to this since 2002 or so, every one caused by an MS Windows patch install that went bad. I was finished with Windows for good at this point. And I wasn't looking forward to Vista either... heard too much bad about that one.So, my Finnish friend Urmas, with some additional goading by Frank Golden and Sweet Lou, a friend from the Avant Support Forums, talked me into loading Linux on my currently trashed system. Lou was for Debian, but Urmas and Frank were pushing Ubuntu. I started out with Ubuntu, but it steam-rolled from there. Shortly, I had Debian, Fedora, SuSE, and Slackware on my system. Sure! It was scary at first. Debian's installer really freaked me out. Nowadays, I just shrug. About the only thing Linux that scares me now is Gentoo. Be a while before I go there again. ;)Anyway, moral to this long-winded missive is that just eight months ago I knew absolutely nothing about Linux, GNU, Gnome, etc. Yeah, I've made some serious boo-boos in my learning stage (Root can be hazardous to your system! :wacko: ), but I've learned by making those mistakes. I also learned from many, many folks who had "been there - done that" before me.It's been a lot of fun. Make sure it's fun for you too. That's the important part. Currently, I rarely ever boot Windows anymore. I have it on my system as a sort of security blanket to fall back on if I need it... and for playing games. Other than that, it may as well not be there. I do everything in Linux that I used to do in Windows, often more efficiently and with less hassle.Windows XP crashed on me four times in four years. We won't even talk about Win 98 here. Every time Linux has failed on my system it's been due either to a hardware failure or my own tweaking failures. It's dependable, secure, and has a FANTASTIC support community.Enjoy your Linux experience! :huh:~Eric