Haven't Lost My Touch

raymac46

Did my first dual boot in years today and my first ever Linux - Windows 7 dual boot. It went pretty well - nice to see I haven't lost my touch.

One of my coffee buddies runs Linux all the time on an old desktop. He wanted me to set up a dual boot on his Acer Aspire 5517 laptop - still wants Windows for a few things but prefers to run Linux Mint when he can.

He dropped off the laptop today and I set to work.

• Updated his Malware Bytes and scanned the Windows setup. Got rid of 750 pieces of Malware.
  • Used CCleaner to clean up a mess of temp files.
  • Set the BIOS to boot from the DVD.
  • Used GParted live DVD to shrink down his Windows partition. I took 30 GB for Linux and 2 GB for swap. There is so much crapware on Acer that I had to make extended partitions for Linux and swap.
  • Booted back into Windows and checked the disk. All OK.
  • Booted up Linux Mint on DVD and of course the wifi didn't work (Broadcom.)
  • Plugged in a wire and proceeded with the install.
  • Upgraded all the software through the wired connection.
  • Used the Driver Manager to add the Broadcom firmware. Wifi then worked.
  • Installed the other software I think he should have.

I have GRUB2 set to boot into Linux and he can choose Windows from the GRUB menu.

Aside from the wifi and crapware partitions this Acer is a good Linux machine - it's AMD all the way for processor and graphics so the FOSS drivers are perfect. It has a 64 bit Athlon 64 X2 and 4 GB of RAM so it can run the Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon desktop - very nice.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 1

It is indeed. However in spite of all the strides made to improve the installer, and make the hardware compatible, it isn't a slam dunk - especially if you are new to the game. I still think that if anyone new is considering a Linux trial, it's a good idea to get some help and advice before attempting an installation. That goes double if you want to dual boot.

It's easy to mess up a partition, install the bootloader incorrectly and end up with a non-functioning system. And a lot of people couldn't deal with the wifi problems that are almost inevitable with a cheap Windows laptop.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Yes, I trashed many an existing OS or partition table when I was first learning to install Linux. ;)

And if I had a nickel or so for every time Kamicota (Colin) or Longgone (Dale) blew their MBRs away, I could almost splurge on a burger and fries at McDonald's. ;)

• Like 1

That goes double if you want to dual boot.

It's easy to mess up a partition, install the bootloader incorrectly and end up with a non-functioning system.

I took the coward's way out many years ago and used a third-party boot manager for years. I always installed grub to a /boot partition, and the boot manager was set up to boot that partition when I chose the proper entry from its menu. A few months ago when I installed openSuSE on an older XP laptop was the first time in 11 years that I omitted the third-party software and let the installer put grub in the MBR, mainly because I didn't really care if I lost the XP install. Everything was fine.

Although I did some dual boot setups early on in my Linux experience, lately I have either blown away XP and installed Linux on older machines, or installed Linux on a new machine that doesn't run anything else. With the advent of reliable virtualization I prefer to run a VM rather than dual boot.

But my friend wanted to keep his Windows 7 and I really couldn't expect him to run a virtual machine. So it was back to dual boot. At least it was Windows 7 so no UEFI to worry about.

My major concern was borking his Windows install, either by messing up the bootloader or shrinking his HDD to make room for Linux. I did it right the first time so no worries.

Edited by raymac46