[Release][Alpha2] CyanogenMod 9 Touchpad

securitybreach

Well, I said I'd wait until they got Netflix working before flashing CM9. No more excuses so I went ahead and did it. :whistling: Netflix does work. Loaded Firefox for Android, which was one of the things I was looking forward too. Big disappointment. Still switching to "mobile" pages instead of the regular site pages. I DON'T WANT "mobile" pages!!!! >_< Opera browser does seem a little quicker loading pages. Haven't run into any bugs yet but have only been using it for an hour or so.

securitybreach
Well, I said I'd wait until they got Netflix working before flashing CM9. No more excuses so I went ahead and did it. :whistling: Netflix does work. Loaded Firefox for Android, which was one of the things I was looking forward too. Big disappointment. Still switching to "mobile" pages instead of the regular site pages. I DON'T WANT "mobile" pages!!!! >_

That is why I switched browsers on my Android devices.

That said, Chrome is available on Android. It works beautifully and easily syncs with the desktop version:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.a...hrome&hl=en

eb3f27176217916.jpg

That is why I switched browsers on my Android devices.

That said, Chrome is available on Android. It works beautifully and easily syncs with the desktop version:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.a...hrome&hl=en

eb3f27176217916.jpg

Chrome is doing the same thing. I type "www.nola.com" in the address and it switches to "mobile.nola.com". I know there use to be a way to fool pages as what browser you were using. Is there a setting somewhere in Chrome to turn off "mobile" flag?

Edited by lewmur

securitybreach

Odd, it does not do that way for me. What website are you trying to use and maybe there is a site specific setting.

I just checked digg.com and cnn.com of which both have mobile versions as well.

Odd, it does not do that way for me. What website are you trying to use and maybe there is a site specific setting.

I just checked digg.com and cnn.com of which both have mobile versions as well.

The one I sited above, www.nola.com. That is my local, New Orleans, news site that I normally use for my home page.

securitybreach
I got the page working. Now how do I make it my home page in Chrome?

I am not really for sure as I use the normal mobile implementation that they use for new tabs and the start page on both my phone and tablet:

Most Visited

Bookmarks (all devices in subcategories: Mobile and Desktop

Other Devices

I know what you mean about a 'normal' homepage setting and such but I find this to be a better method for my tablet and phone as it syncs my desktop usage.

Looks like I've hit a "deal breaker" with alpha 2. Seems ICS doesn't play well with USB storage. First of all, if you connect to a computer via the USB cable, it doesn't work unless the computer is running Win 7 as it uses MTB to connect. Needless to say, as someone who doesn't "do Windows", this stinks.

Second, I spent time and money to get my TP to connect to an external USB hdd. Had to buy a USB battery power pack, open it up to remove a couple of resistor which disabled the data lines, add "host" cable to give me a USB female connector to the TP and a "Y" cable to connect to the USB hdd and the power pack. Works great in CM7. Just go into /Settings/Storage and mount the hdd and the hdd appears in the File Manager. No go in CM9. There is no way to mount the external USB hdd.

Unless they solve this real quick, it looks like I'm going to have to go back to CM7. I've posted in the TP XDA Developers forum about the problem but so far there is no response.

securitybreach
MTP was a minor problem. No external USB hdd it the real "deal breaker".

What do you mean, I showed you above how I had it mounted as a usb hdd?

mtpfs

Mtpfs is FUSE filesystem that supports reading and writing from any MTP device. Basically it allows you to mount your device as an external drive.

It's available in the community repository.

To mount your device

# mtpfs -o allow_other /media/YOURMOUNTPOINT

To unmount your device

# umount /media/YOURMOUNTPOINT

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mtp#mtpfs

Mtpfs should be in your distro's repositories. Just install it and then mount as shown above.

securitybreach

I never bothered to do this as I always just use andftp to transfer via ssh or the box.com app but after following the Archwiki, I can now mount my touchpad like an external drive. So thanks :)

What do you mean, I showed you above how I had it mounted as a usb hdd?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mtp#mtpfs

Mtpfs should be in your distro's repositories. Just install it and then mount as shown above.

You've got it backwards. I don't want to mount my TP as a USB drive on a computer. I want to mount my USB flash drives and/or my WD 1tb Passport drive on TP. I can do this in CM7 but can't in CM9. IOW, I want portable high capacity hdds I can plug into my TP while "on the go".

edit: I just read an article on why there is a problem with USB and ICS. But apparently the problem is only with connecting the TP as a USB device on other computers. Which we have already agreed is solved by using MTP. What I want to do, OTH, should still be possible in CM9. Which is to mount an external USB hdd device to the /mnt/usbdisk folder in the TP. It appears to me, and I'll admit before hand that I might well be wrong, that somehow, because it was "general knowledge" that "USB doesn't work in ICS", that the script for mounting a USB drive was left out. After all, no one had ever used it anyway because there was no power on the USB connector to run one.

But as I said, we have solved the "no 5v problem" and have it working in CM7. Now what I need to know is what are the Android terminal commands for determining the /dev name for external USB devices and mounting the device to /mnt/usbdisk? Are they the same in Android as they are in Linux?

Edited by lewmur

Oh the microsusb port? I thought that was for charging only and transferring files?

That is all HP intended it for. But who cares what HP intended. :hysterical: It does support "host mode". You just have to get the right cables and furnish an external 5v source.

securitybreach
Thanks. That first link gave me the "mount" command I was looking for. Right now my "battery pack" for the external drive is being re-charged. As soon as it finishes, I'll give it a try and let you know the results.

Sweet :thumbup:

I have just never had a reason to try an external hdd as I still have 26gb out of 32gb free and that is with a ton of apps installed and 3 OSs.

Sweet :thumbup:

I have just never had a reason to try an external hdd as I still have 26gb out of 32gb free and that is with a ton of apps installed and 3 OSs.

The external is for hauling around a lot of extra "media" files. I have close to 500gb of Karaoke songs alone! :hysterical: Actually I don't know how really useful it will be, but after all the work I did to get it to work, I want it to work in CM9 too! :whistling:

edit: And I also want to be able to snear at the snotty Ipad users 'cause my TP will do something their Ipad won't! :devil:

Edited by lewmur

securitybreach
edit: And I also want to be able to snear at the snotty Ipad users 'cause my TP will do something their Ipad won't! :devil:

Well you do not need a usb drive to do that, just open up your browser and view some flash videos. B)

Well you do not need a usb drive to do that, just open up your browser and view some flash videos. B)

Won't work. They'll just quote "the great leader" and claim that "flash is dead". :hysterical:

Thanks. That first link gave me the "mount" command I was looking for. Right now my "battery pack" for the external drive is being re-charged. As soon as it finishes, I'll give it a try and let you know the results.

By George it's working!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: It gave me fits for a while because the vfat partition on my drive is the second partition so I had to change /dev/block/sda1 to sda2. Now all we need is NTFS support. :whistling: