Weird stuff for LM17 and Ubuntu Mate

jolphil

First ,everything was fine untill the last update. To explain,I have a computer with a hard drive rack where I can easily replace the HDD with another system on the same tower.

As best as I can explain my system with a Nvidia graphics card, seems to lock into the maximized open window.If I click on the "X" to close an open window,nothing happens.On LM17 with Cinnamon ,I can set the window less than full and all seems to work well. A plug in USB mouse has the same results. My memory is not good, but I seem to remember the flgx driver was recently upgraded.I wonder if that had some effect?

My other tower with LM18 with an INTEL graphics chip does not seem to exhibit this problem at all.

I wonder if anyone else has been showing some odd symptoms on their Linux machines?

I am convinced it seems to be an update problem but I do not know exactly what has happened.

jolphil

I am not sure I understand your problem. Is it with LM 17 Cinnamon or Ubuntu MATE? Do you get a hard lockup and have to turn off the machine or can you Ctl-Alt-F1 and get a command line?

Edited by raymac46

raymac46: Thank you for your posts...I had similar results with Ubuntu Mate, and also Linux mint 17.1. Your link was very similar to my problems. I did not use Xfce on this desktop just Cinnamon on LM17.1 and Mate on Ubuntu(19.xx) i Think..As stated in my first post ,both worked perfectly until just a few days ago.My problem showed up after the latest updates.My bad for not writing down what was updated. My mouse works by moving the pointer all over the screen but would not click to change any virtual desktop on the panel.Neither would it close an open window nor the menu would not appear when clicked.

I am sure there are many other problems that I have not uncovered yet.

I guess I will have to play with each to try to determine where the problem lies.My guess offhand is with the graphics software .I Need to do more research on Google to find if others are having recent problems.

Thanks again,

jolphil

PS: My mistake.This tower uses a AMD Radeon HD 7750 card and the selected driver is the fglrx 2.15.201.2 for LM17.1 Cinnamon.I will have to change systems to see which driver is used in Ubuntu Mate.

Edited by jolphil

If you have an HD 7750 card you would be well advised to upgrade to LM 18.1 and just use the FOSS driver. There is no point to fglrx unless you are running games and I doubt you are. Besides, fglrx won't work with anything later than LM 17. But the FOSS radeon driver will and it gives excellent results with LM 18.1 Do a fresh install so you get all the latest software including a kernel that works well with the radeon driver.

The latest Ubuntu I believe is 16.10 and that won't work with fglrx.

I used fglrx in LM 17 because the kernel wouldn't recognize my GCN AMD video card for the radeon driver. But by 18.1 that has been fixed and the FOSS driver is the way to go.

Just download the latest Linux Mint 18.1 ISO and give it a spin either by burning a DVD or making a USB image. It should work just fine.

Edited by raymac46

Thank you for your advice.I am sure you are correct,I should reinstall.I guess It has been a shock that my old friend (17.1) has seen it's better days come to an end so abruptly .

FWIW I have found that I always seem to have trouble with LM distros and graphics . My Ubuntu Mate seems to always have some annoying sound or panel problems. Mate seems to

be snappier on my device but I guess you can't have both.Ihave an older laptop with Xfce and it seems really fast and stable.

Again thank you,

jolphil

With AMD video cards later than the 6000 series you would have had trouble with just about any distro that used a newer 4.X kernel and latest Xorg. It took AMD some time to fix this problem and although the trailing edge cards like the 7000 and R7 200/300 series now work fine, I believe the FOSS driver still has issues with the latest cards. Based on my experience I would stay away from the RX4XX series of AMD cards. for now.

Nvidia's FOSS driver is worse but at least you can use the proprietary driver for most of their cards. Intel is boring but it usually always works.

Edited by raymac46

Been on Google and looking up "cannot grab mouse" and found problems galore.Not sure if this is a graphics driver issue, or a mouse issue, or even a kernel issue. No one seemed to get a reliable

fix. BTW that was one of the popup error messages.

Might be a desktop issue as well. Is it with Cinnamon and/or MATE? LM or Ubuntu? I would try LM Xfce and see if it persists. Also if you have a cable mouse and keyboard try these. If they work fine it's obviously a USB issue of some sort. I have not had these problems with LM and I have a Logitech wifi keyboard/mouse combo.

Hi raymac46, It is with both Lm17.1 Cinnamon and with Ubuntu Mate,16.xx. Funny thing both started on this computer just after the latest update. Keep in mind this is with the same tower.I just replace each HDD into the tower with a HD Rack.I will look around my house for a previous system hard drive to see if they exhibit the same issues.That will tell me it would point to a hardware issue.If not I think I can just load the install dvd to see if the hardware is OK.

jolphil

PS: I have tried several USB mouses or is that mice?

PSS: Just tried the dvd(uninstalled) on the same Ubuntu Mate system,works perfectly,no lockups at all.I guess it's not a hardware problem,Rebooted back in the Ubuntu Mate hard drive...

Lockup within the first 20 seconds..Must be a software issue..

Edited by jolphil

I would try the inxi analysis with both the DVD and installed systems and see if there are any obvious kernel or driver version or Xorg version differences.

An example:

ray@ray-basement-SSD ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: ray-basement-SSD Kernel: 4.4.0-53-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
	   Desktop: Cinnamon 3.2.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.2)
	   Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
Machine:   System: Gigabyte product: N/A
	   Mobo: Gigabyte model: F2A85XM-D3H
	   Bios: American Megatrends v: F3 date: 04/08/2013
CPU:	   Quad core AMD A8-5600K APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
	   flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 28798
	   clock speeds: max: 3600 MHz 1: 1400 MHz 2: 2400 MHz 3: 1900 MHz
	   4: 1900 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Tobago PRO [Radeon R7 360 / R9 360 OEM]
	   bus-ID: 01:00.0
	   Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
	   Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
	   GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD BONAIRE (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.8.0)
	   GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:	 Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller
	   driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
	   Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Tobago HDMI Audio [Radeon R7 360 / R9 360 OEM]
	   driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
	   Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-53-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
	   driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
	   IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
	   Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
	   driver: ath9k bus-ID: 04:00.0
	   IF: wlp4s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1128.2GB (12.1% used)
	   ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_THNSNH12 size: 128.0GB
	   ID-2: /dev/sdb model: TOSHIBA_DT01ACA1 size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 102G used: 34G (35%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
	   ID-2: swap-1 size: 17.12GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:	  No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 0.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 27.0
	   Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:	  Processes: 206 Uptime: 17 min Memory: 1352.7/16059.6MB
	   Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
	   Client: Shell (bash 4.3.461) inxi: 2.2.35
ray@ray-basement-SSD ~ $

SOLVED... Thank you raymac46 for all you help.It was your suggestion in a earlier post to try 18.1.I found an empty Hard drive and started to install it.Had a few problems getting it installed but did not think

anything more about it. 18.1 updated and while I was configuring Chrome I noticed that when I went to close the open window it failed.To Explain more,when you hover over a X to close the window it usually highlights.This did not, but when I left the mouse positioned over the X for about 15 -20 seconds it suddenly highlighted and the window would close.It looked to me like the position data was not synchronized

with the mouse pointer.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I tried another mouse(USB 1.5v AAA cell type) BUT !!! my old mouse was still plugged into the back USB port. To explain, my old mouse is a USB plug which goes to a mouse caddy to charge the hand unit battery.Since it was in the rear dusty port,I failed to remove it when the new USB mouse was plugged into the front USB port.Lazy on my part.

I removed the rear old mouse USB connection and put in the new mouse and voila!!!.. I went back to LM17.1 cinnamon and 16.xx Ubuntu mate and they are still running just fine. Linux error message "could not grab mouse" should have told me but it did not.

Thank you again for all your help

jolphil :clap:

• Like 1

Glad you got it fixed. It can always be something strange like that that trips you up.

I remember when a friend could not boot Windows on his PC. I had the box over here and it worked just fine..could not duplicate his problem.Took it back home and it wouldn't work. Brought it back here and I showed him it booted perfectly.

It turned out he had a USB drive plugged into the box at home and the PC kept trying to boot off that and failed. He removed the USB drive to bring it here, and then plugged it back in at home before trying to boot.

Hedon James

Glad you got it fixed. It can always be something strange like that that trips you up.

I remember when a friend could not boot Windows on his PC. I had the box over here and it worked just fine..could not duplicate his problem.Took it back home and it wouldn't work. Brought it back here and I showed him it booted perfectly.

It turned out he had a USB drive plugged into the box at home and the PC kept trying to boot off that and failed. He removed the USB drive to bring it here, and then plugged it back in at home before trying to boot.

Was your friend ME, cuz that happened to me too?! :P

Never did that, although I have blown away my data by formatting /dev/sdb instead of /dev/sdc in GParted. Backups are useful.