bypass admin password

lblackwolf

hi, my son bought a Mac G4 at city auction, but can't get into anything because they left it with an admin password. anyone know how to bypass this?

Edited by lblackwolf

Apparently you will need an install disk in order to reset the Admin password.Here are a couple links that explain the problem:http://www.macosx.com/content/faq.php/q185...r-Password.htmlhttp://www.tech-recipes.com/apple_mac_tips712.html

Thanks Fran, I haven't heard from him since I posted this so maybe the library IT people came through with the password. I'll keep these just in case though. BTW, I didn't see a pic of you in ATL, guess maybe you're another of the shy ones. See you over there, thanks again, Logan

Guest LilBambi

You are very welcome. Hope they are able to provide it, but at least you know there is a way to reset it without actually having to know the existing password as long as you have an install disk.RE: Pic ... Actually, there is a picture of me in my profile....user photo to the right. There are also several pics on my blog (see sig). ;)

You are very welcome. Hope they are able to provide it, but at least you know there is a way to reset it without actually having to know the existing password as long as you have an install disk.RE: Pic ... Actually, there is a picture of me in my profile....user photo to the right. There are also several pics on my blog (see sig). :sweatingbullets:

Right, and I had actually been to your pages and gone through quite a bit of it/them. Sorry, short attention span here.

Guest LilBambi

I hear ya! Sometimes it is hard to remember all we have seen on the Internet.I just didn't think I needed to post my pic directly in ATL because there are ones available here and elsewhere.

If you do a re-install of the os (or install a newer version) make sure you use the disk utility to format the drive first. More than once at work we've reinstalled osx on a returned machine only to realize after it was done that the old user info is still there.