Maximum Security

lewmur

In my not so humble opinion, 99% of corporate security problems arise from one misguided principle. "All software applications have an underlying general use OS." IOW, they need Windows, Linux, Unix, iOS or the like to build upon. Afterall, you can't write your own OS and networking protocols. Or can you?

If you are willing to abandon high res "graphics" to separate systems, yes you can. Why should your company record keeping not be done with "text" documents? Again, most corporate computer hacks are to steal "data". Not pretty pictures. Writing a BIOS, which is all it would take, to handle only "data", and, BTW, encrypt the data with an unbreakable "book code", would be an easy task. Note, I'm not saying that companies should abandon their MS, Linux or iOS computers but that they remove their "bookeeping" from them. Instead, have someone write your very own, very private, BIOS to run on something like a Raspberry Pi, to handle sensitive DATA. And if you were sending only data from point to point, you could even use secured phonelines with 56k modems, instead of the NET.

Think outside the "box".

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

A simpler solution would be for business, schools, government, etc. to just keep their systems with critical data OFF THE NETWORK COMPLETELY. Keep them in vaults, access limited to a few highly screened IT and data entry people.

Any system is vulnerable when exposed to a network, be it internal or external (the Internet). Isolate machines to protect data. It's a simple enough concept. With an isolated system, the businesses could run Windows 98SE for all it would matter. The ONLY security danger would be from those who access the machines. Limit that risk by vetting and entry/exit security procedures... no media devices, cell phones, thumbdrives, etc. allowed in the vaults where the critical systems are located.

• Like 3

A simpler solution would be for business, schools, government, etc. to just keep their systems with critical data OFF THE NETWORK COMPLETELY. Keep them in vaults, access limited to a few highly screened IT and data entry people.

Any system is vulnerable when exposed to a network, be it internal or external (the Internet). Isolate machines to protect data. It's a simple enough concept. With an isolated system, the businesses could run Windows 98SE for all it would matter. The ONLY security danger would be from those who access the machines. Limit that risk by vetting and entry/exit security procedures... no media devices, cell phones, thumbdrives, etc. allowed in the vaults where the critical systems are located.

Communication is necessary in today's international marketplace. Any large business that tried to avoid all interconnection would soon be out of business. Do you really think all banking transactions could be handled via paper?

V.T. Eric Layton

Communication is necessary in today's international marketplace. Any large business that tried to avoid all interconnection would soon be out of business. Do you really think all banking transactions could be handled via paper?

Yeah... that's all true. Sadly, the more we modernize our systems and interconnect them, the more we expose them to danger. When everything was done on paper, no one ever hacked into my bank accounts, store accounts, phones, cameras, cars, personal mp3 player, electric-feckin'-toothbrush, etc. The older I get the more I long for those Luddite days of yore when things just worked, people had jobs, cyber-crime was something you read about in dime Sci-Fi novels.

*sigh*

Listen to that rant... I must be getting old. Hey! You! Get OFF MY LAWN!

• Like 2

Hello,

You might find the following of interest:

In a nutshell, it appears to be a stripped-down operating system, consisting of a micro-kernel with some kind of strong application control and/or auditing system.

The initial customer distributing it is a router manufacturer, but it could appear in other ICS/SCADA environments.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

So long folks. Its been good to know you but I'm out of here. I appreciate the fact that people in this forum are supposed to treat each other with courtesy but when it gets to the point where you can't chastise someone for totally misrepresenting what you say, then "being nice" smells too much like PC BS. And this crusty old codger isn't up to putting up with PC BS. Bye Bye.

• Like 1

Sorry you feel that way. You have come up with some interesting posts during the time I have been on here. Just take care of yourself . Just remember it's the kernel that counts not the crust. That's just a persona . There is absolutely nothing wrong with putting one's point across in a gentle fashion . In fact it shows a great deal of strength and resourcefulness .

I will say again Take care Crusty :Hammys_pint:

• Like 1

Sorry you feel that way. You have come up with some interesting posts during the time I have been on here. Just take care of yourself . Just remember it's the kernel that counts not the crust. That's just a persona . There is absolutely nothing wrong with putting one's point across in a gentle fashion . In fact it shows a great deal of strength and resourcefulness .

I will say again Take care Crusty :Hammys_pint:

This "nobody should be offended" BS has been taken to the point that one of the greatest women this country has ever seen, Sect Condalisa Rice was barred from speaking at an Ivy League University graduation because some students would find her views "offensive". I FIND THAT OFFENSEIVE!!!!!!!!

edit; How much do you want to bet the mod will delete this post????

Edited by lewmur

Hello,

While I certainly don't agree with everything Condoleezza Rice did during her tenure as Secretary of State, there are a lot her activities I do agree with, and consider her to be one of the most intelligent persons to have held that position. It's very disappointing — but not entirely unexpected — that she was dis-invited from speaking at Rutgers. Students need to learn how to appreciate opposing view points, not just paying lip service to them, but carefully listening to them, interpreting them, examining their own position in case they are — gasp — wrong, and modifying their opinion based on factual data.

The current climate of not allowing this leads to people who are incapable of thinking critically, and conducting analytical research on any topic, not to mention a lack of rhetorical speaking and debating skills. It reminds me of a problem I saw earlier when everyone was paralyzed by the dot-com bubble busting and afraid to take risks. Paradoxically, it has been conflict, whether in the board room or jungles or deserts, has largely been what has driven the Information Age, and I cannot help but think how many great concepts, ideas and inventions are being delayed because someone's scared of the status quo.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 5

securitybreach

While I do agree that political correctness is blown way out of proportion nowadays, attacking someone because of a misunderstanding is not only rude but inappropriate especially in a support forum where people are trying to help.

• Like 5