• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,614 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:30 PM

Do you ever install from source or use make/makeinstall or its kindred? Using Stow you can manage these installs to make it easy to remove them later if you wish. Stow is most likely already available in your distro's repo.

https://linuxconfig....ce-and-dotfiles
https://www.linux.co...ckages-gnu-stow
registered Linux user number 324659  ||    The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#2 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,729 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:44 PM

Neat :thumbsup:
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,607 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:28 AM

I had a look at STOW but it seemed pretty complicated to set up and run, at least it seemed that way to me. Neat idea though. :breakfast:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,614 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:48 PM

View Postabarbarian, on 08 July 2018 - 11:28 AM, said:

I had a look at STOW but it seemed pretty complicated to set up and run, at least it seemed that way to me. Neat idea though. :breakfast:
I thought it sounded pretty simple, mainly just set a different directory to install in. Well, simpler than writing systemd timers and working out regexes for awk and sed which is the last things I did before reading about Stow. :)
I've only ever built a handful of things from source so it may be some time before I actually try it.
registered Linux user number 324659  ||    The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users