The End

raymac46

For a while now I have been giving my wife the Toshiba netbook to take when she goes down to see her mother. But I think that's reached the end as far as this old Atom based machine goes.

The combination of a slow network, a creaking underpowered processor, minimal RAM and a resource hungry browser (Firefox) is absolutely lethal. My wife gave up in frustration trying to look at some photos on Facebook. Mind you she is used to a quad-core i5 desktop with 16 GB of RAM, discrete graphics, and 150Mbps bandwidth.

Even with Arch Linux, Xfce, and an SSD the netbook can never match this.

I tried Midori and it works a bit better - but this is on my own home network. My wife wouldn't want to use Midori either. All she wants is Firefox and Facebook to work.

I guess I'll keep the Toshiba here and let my wife take the Thinkpad next time. It runs Debian, has an i5 mobile processor, 8GB of RAM and an SSD. I can't do much about slow wifi but it's got to be better for her with a more powerful laptop.

securitybreach

The main problem is that so many sites make heavy use of javascript which absolutely kills older machines with low ram.

abarbarian

Facebook is just bad... all bad... to be avoided. ;)

yup

Facebook :Smiley-IPB-400: :Smiley-IPB-400: :Smiley-IPB-400:

I checked the System Monitor and it seems the Atom is running at 100% trying to load Facebook on Firefox.

It is not just loading, it is harvesting your data as it loads, hence the extra cpu cycles needed :Laughing:

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
Cluttermagnet

The main problem is that so many sites make heavy use of javascript which absolutely kills older machines with low ram.

To which NoScript reacts by semi- or fully disabling the website from loading.

Tedious to go 'allow' so much stuff- and being forced to guess as to which are

optional. "Can I get away with not allowing Google? I so hate Google..."

Clutter

• Like 2

Clutter

You could use Qwant instead of google,

https://www.qwant.com/?q=Canada%20sets%20date%20for%20legal%20marijuana&f=h:AWQhZViv-WuUSQIJTVlA&t=news

:breakfast:

Clutter

I'm lucky enough that most of the websites I visit are still legible with NoScript in use and all scripting forbidden. If not, I start at the top and allow just enough for the site to be useful.