Another Visit to Lillian's

raymac46

Lillian's husband spoke to me recently at our weekly coffeeklatch. She has to renew her Norton Security so - since he won't let her buy anything online - that means a trip to Staples and an annual reinstall with a new license. I went over and did that on Tuesday. While there, I took the opportunity to update Malware Bytes to the latest release and do a scan. Only found 8 PUPs this time, which was a distinct improvement on the last scan where she had 1474 and the machine wouldn't even connect to websites. Ah, progress,,,,at least she isn't running XP. :Muahaha:

However she's now thinking of getting a new laptop. :w00t: :th_run-around-smiley:

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 3

Guest LilBambi

Well, that may not be as bad as it could be. Apparently Microsoft is wising up! And the new Windows 8.1 Update will be a huge improvement and return many mousing elements back into Windows!

Good thing but foolish that they didn't do this 3 months ago.

Fortunately thanks to my IT work with my wife's friend Shari I now have some experience with Windows 8. So Lillian is in luck. I'll still install Classic Shell I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Well today it was another coffee group member Denis complaining that his wife didn't like all the popups on their Windows 7 laptop.

Denis was not all that sympathetic because he's now running Linux Mint on his old desktop. He gets no malware, the machine runs faster than the laptop now thanks to a memory upgrade. :clap:

However I thought I should take a look. This time Malware Bytes only found 1344 pieces of malware. Not quite up to Lillian standards but pretty good (or bad.) :teehee:

I just don't see how anyone could put up with machines as crudded up as this.

It's amazing how clueless some computer owners are and NEVER learn from previous mistakes.

Years ago, while still on dialup, I had a man whose computer dialed out because it was that malware infested. He eventually had to pay for call blocking to stop the computer from reaching certain numbers and getting huge phone bills. I told him, pull the phone cord either off the back of the computer or where it connects to the wall. How hard is that?

After I had his computer here and finished cleaning it up for the 3rd or 4th time (this was all free "support"), I gave it back and said, "I'm not doing this any more. When it gets infected again, call someone else for help".

• Like 1

Maybe I'm a little too close to the subject, but I find it strange that someone wouldn't notice that an 8 year old single core desktop runs like a Ferrari and a year old dual-core laptop with twice the memory runs like a Yugo. Linux versus Windows makes some difference, but not like that.

Hey, perhaps they are the 999,999th user and won 9,000,000 million dollars.. :P

Isn't it incredible that many people will never realize that if it sounds too good to be true, it's almost certainly going to mess with you?