Windows crossover

georgeg4

Hi I am running Ubuntu 14.04 exclusevely but I would like to run a couple of windows programs that do not have Linux support I have heard of crossover but the only one I could find is for Mac does anyone know where I can get the linux version or a substitute for Linux

Greetings George, you can install crossover in Ubuntu. Crossover Linux cost money but you can get a trial version.

Am sure you may be able to find the trial version in the Ubuntu software center but can't guarantee that, I have never used Ubuntu. :)

You can also try wine as well. It's free and will also allow you to run "some" Windows applications in Linux.

Edited by ichase

Hi I am running Ubuntu 14.04 exclusevely but I would like to run a couple of windows programs that do not have Linux support I have heard of crossover but the only one I could find is for Mac does anyone know where I can get the linux version or a substitute for Linux

Instead of Wine or Crossover, I'd advise using a virtual machine such as VMware or VirtualBox to run a Windows session.

Guest LilBambi

What programs are you trying to run?

Crossover may work with more than WINE, but even some Windows programs don't work with Crossover. You have to check their What Runs? database.

If it works 100% great, if not, I agree with lewmur. I would make sure you use Windows Vista or later though. Windows 7 works best these days.

V.T. Eric Layton

Hi, George! I was just thinking about you the other day. I was going through some bookmark organizing and saw the link for you little Proboards board. Are you guys still hanging out there on a regular basis? I may have to stop by for a visit. :yes:

http://georgeg4.proboards.com/

• Like 1

Hedon James

I'll second everyone else's opinions here, regarding Windows in a VM versus Wine/Crossover.

Wine & Crossover have been very hit or miss for me. So much so that I don't even bother with Wine/Crossover, and I paid for Crossover at one point. If your machine specs will allow it, a Windows VM is the way to go for any Windows programs you are not ready to migrate away from. I imagine a WinXP license is easy to come by now, and you can install WinXP in a VM and choose "local internet only" connection; this will prevent internet access by XP, but will still allow for local machine access on your local network. The best of all worlds, IMO!

Guest LilBambi

Excellent point Hedon James about Windows XP if no Internet is needed

RE: if you have a legit license for Windows XP

After you get the Windows XP VM setup and get your Windows Updates, the next time you are getting ready to boot up the VM, you can click/unclick enable network adapter/interface as needed so there's no network interface even available to XP when you don't want one but, you can have one available when you need to update the AV or security programs or other specific things.

VirtualBox makes that very easy.

I would also suggest getting Pale Moon browser for the Windows XP VM, making it default, and skipping things like Flash, and other plugins on Windows XP entirely so you don't have so much to keep up to date.

Cluttermagnet

Welcome, alaric. We'll get you in a position to run live DVD's very soon. I suggested that someone start

a new topic (thread) because this one is more about software you would put in a Linux machine to get

Windows software to run in Linux. Your issue (which plenty of others have had) is how to 'unlock' a Win8

machine to let live DVD sessions run.

A good place to begin is to tell us the Manufacturer and model number of that new computer...

Edited by Cluttermagnet
  • Like 1

Hello, so glad to finally be here! Cluttermagnet invited me as I have a Win8 machine that I would love to be a Linux! :clap:

Hi there welcome to penguin land.Can not help out with the W8 problem, it should be easy to sort though.

http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=68683&hl=

If you are going to try out several different penguins the above tool may help you out. Easy to set up and use with Window set up options.

http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=68683&hl=

If you have some interest and spare time then the PCLinux magazine is a treasure trove of information about many programs that will run on most linux distros.Helpfull tips and guided walkthroughs with pictures on a lot of popular programs along with penguin fluff.

http://www.makululinux.com/mate.htm

An if you are not brave enough to try out Arch (that is off beat british humour) as your first os then Makulu Mate would be a very good choice for a first timer.

:breakfast:

• Like 1

Welcome alaric ,This machine also came with W8 so I formatted the drive and installed ubuntu and That is what I am running now and I am happy with it

As far as my post is concerneb=d I am going to take the consensus of advice and install Win XP in a virtual machine I thank you all for your help . The reason I wan=ed it is a couple of programs that have no linux versions such as Efax and trillion

Guest LilBambi

As far as my post is concerneb=d I am going to take the consensus of advice and install Win XP in a virtual machine I thank you all for your help . The reason I wan=ed it is a couple of programs that have no linux versions such as Efax and trillion

Those recommendations, or at least mine, were for NON-Internet connected Win XP. Messaging clients in Windows XP would be the absolute worst possible scenario for security of any kind.